Definitely getting DF'ed now

by notverylikely 150 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

No, dear tec (the greatest of love and peace to you!)... you are right and I hear/see what you hear/see on this. I am just... well, very, very saddened (I had to rachette down from almost appalled) that some folks are giving him the "advice" they are. It sounds to me like he wanted to come clean... that he realizes there's gonna be some "cost"... and he was just hoping for some support... albeit truthfulness... and a bit of buffering. I admit, I was probably a little too passionate in my first response because while he admitted culpability, he was also trying to justify his conduct by hers... which I think was, well, a little under-handed... and others were egging him on, if not outright enticing him. NVL has often given me the impression, however, that he is a person that DOESN'T deal in... ummmm... wishy-wash. So, I wasn't wishy-washy.

NVL, if I owe you apology then I sincerely give it. However, I do think that a great deal of the advice here is... wrong... on so many levels... and that if you think things are bad now, you haven't seen anything until you strike out on one of the courses suggested by some.

Again, I apologize if that's what I should do... and I DO bid you peace.

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• flipper
    flipper

NOT VERY LIKELY- So sorry you are going through this extremely difficult time my friend. I liked what JAMIEBOWERS said especially. If you and yor wife do divorce- please assure your children that you love them and they are NOT to blame. Even though YOU know that - children tend to blame themselves after mom & dad divorce. I know- I went through a divorce in 1998 from my 19 yr. marriage to a fanatic JW woman. It was a legal struggle getting her to observe and co-operate with 50 % visitation ( three and a half days a week kids were with me. ) She'd try to make field service arrangements on my visitation days. Finally in 2001 I had to go to court mediation to LEGALLY get my time with my kids.

I was in a DFed state for 4 years during this time- but remember- the state is more concerned about FAIRNESS towards the children having both parents if you are both decent parents - than observing the idiotic Jehovah's Witness rules regarding shunning. The law of the land is on your side my friend. The WT society WILL NOT be on your side. You need to realy register that thought in your mind and let it sink in. Been there, experienced that.

Once you split with your wife you will have to be strong and deal with former fake friends badmouthing you. It goes with the experience unfortunately . But you will make much more quality friends who will be there for you in an unconditional and supportive way as time goes on. Being DFed is not the end of the world as Jamie said. Main thing is to be there for your minor children - you have that parental RIGHT- no matter what the WT society says or does. What THEY do doesn't matter - it's how you try to stay close to your kids that matters most. And avoid badmouthing the kids mom to them in front of them. If you take the dignified high road and show yourself more reasonable than your wife- the kids will see that in you in time as they get older and it will draw them closer to you.

So- all I can think of right now- get a good attorney, be reasonable, care for your kids and move on in life. All you can do. It won't last forever, this too shall pass. If you ever want to talk, please feel free to PM me. Hang in there, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

NVL - I wont add anymore since you've had so much advice already although diverse. I just hope you're ok and that you all come out of this with as little damage as possible. I hate the WTBS for these tragedies.

Loz x

PS And contrary to what was said previously - please do come crying to us if things get more difficult - thats what we're all here for, to support each other.

• tec
    tec

Shelby - I completely understand what you're saying. And I got that your response was directed more toward the advice being given. I also agree. Fading is one thing - and I support whatever decision is made out of love for the people involved. (Though NVL does not need my approval or support) But lying about the actions you took, no matter the reason, is another thing altogether.

You're right though. NVL has not proven to be a wishy/washy person. I imagine if he had a problem with what you said, or anyone else for that matter, he would be the first to say so :)

Tammy

• nugget
    nugget

You are at the worst point when everything hits the fan. It sounds like it has been building over time and that both you and your wife have been unhappy. Whether the religion has driven you apart or whether you were always ill suited I can't say. What is apparent is that contrary to biblical advice your wife used sex as a bargaining tool and did not respect the headship arrangement. You fell into depression and were unable to communicate how much you were hurt until you reached your tipping point.

I agree that honesty is best it is too messy and too complicated to try to paper this over. Emotions are raw and as far as the religion is concerned your wife holds the power in this particular situation. Outside of this setting you have choices too. Even if she choses to forgive, you do not have to stay in this relationship if you do not want to. You do not have to follow the religion she choses to follow if you do not want to.

What is tragic is that there are 2 young children caught up in this mess. I feel for them as they are the same age as mine. What is left is to ensure that they are reassured of how much they are loved and helped to adjust. What ever you decide and however you approach this keep that goal in mind.

For now things are as bad as they have ever been, but it will improve. Counselling would help you to clarify your goals and actions but I fully understand why for some this is not an option. Remember you have more choices than you think and how you handle this situation will have a lasting impact.

Thinking of you.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

NVL is going to be ok - he has faced his greatest fear of opening up and telling the truth. He's lived in an unfortunately bad marriage for a long time now and I'm proud of him for stepping up and being honest. Knowing the situation I can honestly say that this is for the best. Having talked to him about how it all went down, his wife seemed somewhat relieved - so that says a lot. I know there will a lot of ups and downs for him and his family in the coming months but despite his 'I have no friends' comment, he does and he knows that there are quite a few who will be there for him no matter what. I agree with Shelby that the advice to lie his way through this and playing games is not the way to go and definitely will not be a good lesson for his kids in the long run. Better that things end with as much dignity and peace as possible.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Just a couple of thoughts, NVL:

You said you have no friends. It may seem that way right now, but you also mention you had an "indiscretion" with someone. I would point to this as evidence that you are not the socially inept basket case that many JWs are. What ever you did, you convinced someone to join you in doing the deed. If you really have no friends right now, that will soon change, because you know how to behave in social situations. Just stop wearing the chicken suit.

Second bit of advice: when it becomes clear that a divorce is imminent, find out who ALL of the best divorce attorneys in your immediate area are and VISIT THEM ALL FOR A FREE CONSULTATION. By doing this, you will have tied their hands - they won't be able to take your wife's case against you, even if they are not the attorney you end up working with. The result will be that you will have a very good attorney, and she will have a not-so-good attorney. This gives you an advantage.

Third bit of advice: tell your kids that you would not be disfellowshipped if you had never gotten baptised. Explain that you made a mistake, but in the eyes of the MEN who judged you you were not repentant enough, so they disfellowshipped you. Tell them that if they get baptised, then someday they could be disfellowshipped for not living up to ANOTHER MAN'S standards. Explain how the elders are almost always a bunch of hypocrites with skeletons in their own closets, but that the WTB&TS allows the elders to protect each other while prosecuting members of the congregation for lesser evils.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Jeez Nathan, your advice is so Tony Sopranoish..... and why is everyone telling him to get a good lawyer?

Doesn't anyone believe in settling your own divorce or getting a mediation lawyer. It's so much cheaper. That's what my husband and I always agreed to do. At the last minute though, he changed his mind and got all adversarial on me. I couldn't afford any lawyer. Didn't matter. I brushed up on the law and made mince meat of his lawyer and his feeble arguments in court.

Knowing your legal rights will take your farther, for a lot less money, than any high priced lawyer will. it was embarrassing...for them.

• undercover
    undercover
    and why is everyone telling him to get a good lawyer?
    Doesn't anyone believe in settling your own divorce or getting a mediation lawyer. It's so much cheaper. That's what my husband and I always agreed to do. At the last minute though, he changed his mind and got all adversarial on me.

You answered your own question. You and your husband had agreed to be amicable but then he 'got all adversarial'.

Obviously, NVL's wife is a die-hard dub. She's going all adversarial on him. Yea, he messed up, but the marriage was already doomed. Now she's gonna play the victim while everyone (in dub land) will look at him as the bad guy. Too many emotions on each side. Let an outsider, who knows what they're doing, deal with the legal aspects. Let them be cold and calculating. If the JW spouse wants to play hardball, then let your lawyer deal with it.

I saw this almost exact scenerio play out in my family. The 'guilty' party (in that they had admitted being unfaithful in the marriage) felt enough guilt to allow the 'injured' JW spouse to have too much leverage. It took them awhile to come to their senses and see that they were being played. Once they figured that out, and allowed their lawyer to do their thing, they came out with a pretty good settlement.

C'mon, dear ones - our job is to be here for NVL as he goes through what might be a tough times ahead. To comfort him and support him, yes. But "comfort and support" does NOT mean enticing him to LIE... to his wife, on his wife, or to his children. That is NOT our job. And I cannot believe some are even suggesting that. Wait, no, yes, I can. I truly hate that I can... but I can.

I agree in part with what you say. NVL is at the point where he is ready to quit pretending and needs to be honest about what he things, what he believes. If he is ready to do that and damn the torpedoes, I applaud him. In fact, if I was in his shoes, that's what I'd do. If the marriage is that rocky, then it may be time to start over...and what better way to start over than walking away from all things JW, including wife and other cult indoctrinated family? Lying to his wife, just to stay in her good graces isn't going to work. If she can't accept that he is not going to be a fellow zealous follower of the cult, then it's pretty much over. What worked for me to this point will not work for him. From what I've read, I don't think he's going to be able to slowly deprogram her.

But...to defend some of those that said to lie - at least to the elders; let's not forget that we've been lied to our entire time as JWs - for some of us that means our entire lives. I have no reservations about lying to the leaders and their appointed lackeys of this cult, if it will save me from some hardship that results from their sanctions against me. If I were in NVL's shoes, but really really wanted to keep my family intact, and if lying to a group of elders would get them off my back, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Fuck those assholes. I'll play their little game...and I'll play it better'n them.

The problem with that is that it won't fix the marriage. And if the spouse is uber-dub, it may be nothing more than a fart in the wind, lying to elders only to face hell on earth from her day in and day out over every little thing JW related.

This is where NVL, or anyone else in a similar position, has to decide what is best for him. We can't and we won't. What we have done is show support for him...and given different ideas on how to handle it. Some of those suggestions included be deceitful. Personally at this stage, I wouldn't go that route, but I'm not NVL but it is one route open to him to consider. No matter what he decides, I think everyone here will still comfort and support him.

• moshe
    moshe
    Second bit of advice: when it becomes clear that a divorce is imminent, find out who ALL of the best divorce attorneys in your immediate area are and VISIT THEM ALL FOR A FREE CONSULTATION. By doing this, you will have tied their hands - they won't be able to take your wife's case against you, even if they are not the attorney you end up working with. The result will be that you will have a very good attorney, and she will have a not-so-good attorney. This gives you an advantage.

An excellent tip N-N, which is what Disney does in Orlando. They have employed almost every good legal firm in Florida for some piece of work, so-oo, when you come down to Disney World and the guy in the Pluto suit runs into you and knocks you down, breaking your glasses and teeth, you will be unable to find a lawyer within 100 miles of Orlando who will be able to sue Mickey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit