Last Night's Intervention

by brotherdan 154 Replies latest jw friends

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey debator where you come from ? Donny ain't through with you from the other post.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

You haven't stepped on my toes, I like reading your posts. They get a bit accusatory at times but hey man, its all good, like wasblind said, speak your mind this ain't the KH!

As to your experience, I found it quite interesting, but I will say BD, BE CAREFUL! I know she gave you her reassurance that she will keep your convo in confidence, but man, she could easily slip into defense mode and call you out and get you in trouble. However, it is great that she had a moment where something hit her, something just entered her consciousness and delivered a (I hope) a sledgehammer hit to that crack that was already there.

You know this person best, be subtle in your tactics to getting her to think, this person may be your biggest ally in getting your wife to see the light. Especially since your wife was the one that introduced her into the conversation. I hope and pray for you and your situation that everything comes out peacefully.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    This is the bible set understanding of inspired prophecy. Witnesses have never claimed to hear and speak words directly from Jehovah. they have never claimed inspiration!
    All our understandings come from reasoning on already written bible prophecies and chronology. This is not the same. And you cannot twist it to be the same.

So they can just say anything they want, Debator, and it doesn't matter whether it comes true or not - because the words don't come from Jehovah?

Not a very solid foundation on which to build your faith, is it?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

brotherdan: Please check your PMs.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

other things happened in those years that fulfilled prophecy (i.e. End of WW1 and the establishment of the league of nations.

except that neither of those things "fulfilled prophecy".

• wasblind
    wasblind

Another thing,

you may have to be careful bringing so called apostate material into the home

but, alot of their own literature is detrimental to them, you just have to know

what to show them even if they remain in denial, they can't say this bull crap had never

been written by the WTS. take what she said about setting a definite date. take out

your reasoning book, look on page 97, they are giving out a definite date on that page!!!!!

You had ammunition right there !!!

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Sounds like your wife's friend used the typical Watchtower excuses for their long, glorious history of false prophecies. Here, they simply redefine the word "prophecy" so narrowly that it's basically impossible to be a false prophet. As a side note, the Watchtower is comfortable with redefining words as it sees fit--see, for example, the latest "generation" debacle.

I would like to ask Watchtower followers such as your wife's friend if they can give me an example of any modern day false prophets. The Bible said there will be false prophets in the Last Days, and the JWs say that these are the Last Days. (for example, Matt. 24:11, 24; Mark 13:22). Thus, they should be able to point out some false prophets.

But the way the WTS contorts the meaning of "prophecy," it's hard to find any examples that would fit. As long as you can tie your prediction to a "Bible prophecy" then you run no risk of being a false prophet--rather you're just "keeping alert."

Thus, Watchtower logic excuses hucksters like Hal Lindsey (Late Great Planet Earth) and Ed Whisenant (88 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be in 1988) from being false prophets because those guys tie their predictions to Daniel, Revelation, etc. Heck, even David Koresh based his predictions on the Bible. But none of these hucksters are false prophets in Watchtower-land!

So in order to be a "false prophet" under Watchtower logic, you've got to make up something from whole cloth and claim that God gave it directly to you. Every Christian End-Times doomsday predictor from Miller to Russell to Rutherford to Lindsey to Franz to Whisenant to Koresh has tried to tie his predictions to the Bible.

Thus, the Watchtower has absolved all of these clowns of false prophecy. Too funny.

• sir82
    sir82
    This is the bible set understanding of inspired prophecy. Witnesses have never claimed to hear and speak words directly from Jehovah. they have never claimed inspiration!

2nd attempt, I asked for this on another thread and got no reply:

While the WTS never uses the expression "spirit inspired" with reference to itself, it does use the term "spirit directed". That term appears hundreds, if not thousands, of times in the WT literature. It is repeated at every assembly and convention, as part of the baptism vows.

Please explain, using Biblical references, the difference between "spirit inspired" and "spirit directed".

• debator
    debator

HI Jwoods

I am not saying they are not accountable. Jehovah makes All shepherds from any people that have said they are Followers oif Jesus are accountable for how they teach and govern the flock under there care.

Hebrews 13:17
    Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.

But unlike us God does not expect perfection from them but he does expect us to do his will which includes using the prophecy he had wrote for us in these times.

Matthew 7:21
    "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

• wasblind
    wasblind

"Here, they simply redefine the word "prophecy"

Yep, just like they redefined GENERATION

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit