Our Southern Friends- Are you Pissed about the Oil Spill? I Know I Am ...... !

by flipper 233 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

You're so right, Podo.

We're all in this together.

Thanks again for the beautiful sentiments you expressed at my daughter's loss.

Syl

• Podobear
    Podobear

Enchante madam... we are but one human race, divided only by man.. but united in our frailness and dependency on one another.

The stars still twinkle and I think of you Syl... love over the Universal Skyway to you, and to all other Humans who... connect. Agape

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I don't imagine, at least I, for one, don't consider ourselves to be the ONLY people on the planet with a corporate driven catastrophe.

I am very aware that it has taken 26 years for the Bhopal tragedy to run it's course and thousands died there. I am very aware of the oil destruction and deaths in Africa that still go on daily and which we read nothing about. We know about the Exxon spill, the vast majority of clean up workers who died there and the fight for the past 20 years for justice for those people.

I think the hope is that by highlighting the issue now, it will expose all the destruction that we allow the corporations and government to continually foist upon us all, however, most of the time I feel it's futile, not just in this matter but in many. If it does not personally affect an American, then most will simply brush it away as a nuisance story - this time it is personal and so hopefully that will bring on change in attitude.

sammieswife

• Podobear
    Podobear

I wonder if any of us still hold to the old addage: "He will bring to ruin those who ruin the Earth"...?? Or, maybe for the spiritually disenfranchised could we accept.. "She (mother Earth/Nature) will bring to ruin those who ruin the Earth"..? Whatever our stance, internationally, we have to stop the greed that drives our consumerism and current Economic season, and distribute the wealth of Mother Earth fairly, replacing all we accept from her, and more so.

Somehow, it will take intervention or some sort to rectify all this sadness and exploitaiton.. I guess many of us held the faith that an omnipotent being would do so. I, for one, cannot let that foundation belief go.. even after 25 years of exit.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I guess many of us held the faith that an omnipotent being would do so.

I did, and still do.

I'm of the firm conviction that only Divine intervention can save us from ourselves.

Syl

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Tar balls reach east coast of Florida: Cocoa Beach hit with tar balls

July 7, 1:19 PMTampa Gulf Oil Spill Examiner

Recent NOAA reports that the BP oil spill would not reach around the Florida peninsula for several weeks may turn out to be off schedule. Tar balls are now being reported on the east coast of Florida.

According to several reports, people in Cocoa Beach, Florida are now finding tar balls on their white sand beaches.

Brevard County Emergency Management began receiving calls from beach-goers around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday who spotted them in the water in the area near Minuteman Causeway from 3rd Street South down to 6th Street South,” according to Current.com.

“One beach regular said they collected five pounds (of tar balls) in a plastic shopping bag in a short amount of time. It's like all over the place," said Paul Davis, a Cocoa Beach resident.”

The Orlando Sentinel reports, “There have been reports of tar balls washing ashore this morning. They are in the same general area as the ones found Tuesday.”

The origination of the tar balls have not been confirmed as part of the BP Gulf oil spill that has been spilling millions of gallons of oil since the Deepwater Horizon rig fell on April 22, 2010. However, if they are, it would indicate that the massive slick entered the loop current weeks ago, on the journey to Florida’s east coast beaches.

“Kimberly Prosser, a spokeswoman for Brevard County, said the tar balls are being examined to determine if they came from the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Results are expected back within the next 24 hours or so, “ according to NBC News.

So far, there have been no reports of tar balls in the immediate Tampa Bay area. However, local residents maintain a high interest in reports of invading oil that may be related to the Gulf oil spill disaster.

• flipper
    flipper

SAMMIELEE'S Wife- Thanks for the link showing tar balls washing up on Florida. Disgusting. I still think BP should be criminally prosecuted, not just fined. But they won't be prosecuted. Too many connections to the current president and administration. And huge corporations are running the country. Including big oil companies.

BP better hope this cap holds that they put on the well a couple days ago. There is a hell of a lot of pressure in oil and methane gas coming up from thousand's of feet under the ocean. I would be surprised if this latest tactic by them works. I'm expecting big fissures to open up on the sea floor . Too much pressure to contain. We shall see. Watch and wait everybody- what else CAN we do ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

SNOWBIRD- That is so commendable your grandson in law is helping in the cleanup efforts . I just fear for his health though. Are they giving them proper facial and breathing respirator's for protection from fumes ? I hear lots of people are getting sick working on the cleanup. If he starts feeling seriously ill effects - get him the hell out of there. Better to have our relatives alive and well - than to fall on our collective swords for BP & the government ! I bet you worry everyday about him. Hang in there

• freydo
    freydo

THOUGHT IT WAS OVER? Gulf Oil Spill Tarballs Continue To Wash Ashore On Fort Morgan, Alabama Beach (VIDEO)

BP cleanup crews returned to work Monday after a 10 day break, WKRG reports, and they seem to have their work more than cut out for them. Tarballs have been washing up all along the shores of Alabama's Fort Morgan beach.

According to the Press-Register, they range in size from as small as a nickel to as large as a person's palm. The tarballs are so plentiful on the beach that they are seldom more than an inch apart from each other on shore.

In a BP press release, the company says, "We've stated all along that we expect the beaches to be clean by spring break 2011 ..........

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/04/tarballs-continue-to-wash_n_803746.html

• flipper
    flipper

FREYDO- Thanks for posting this. I guarantee you BP will NOT get all the oil cleaned off beaches by spring break. And even still- just think of how much oil is killing marine life underneath the ocean ? It's ridiculous and appalling how huge oil companies don't give a damn about the environment

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit