Our Southern Friends- Are you Pissed about the Oil Spill? I Know I Am ...... !

by flipper 233 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

......... And I live out here in Northern California ! Are you folks doing O.K. down there in Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, & Mississippi ? I hope this hasn't affected your own " personal " incomes yet ! I swear to God - If I lived down there I'd be getting in some congressmens or BP executives faces and grills big time ! Been following this fairly closely on the news and I really think BP doesn't know it's butt from a hole in the ground about how to deal with this.

I mean , they go to all that humungous labor, build a huge box to put over the oil gushing out and wham 5,000 ft. deep it gets clogged with ice crystals. Now they are talking about a couple other alternatives in the news- all the while today Haliburton, BP, and other reps are meeting with federal officials getting into a pissing match and fight over WHO is responsible for the spill ? Hey boys- Why don't we freaking get the damned thing clogged and stopped first before we waste too much time in the boardroom seeing whose money is getting eaten up by this ?

Meanwhile millions and millions of oil kills birdlife, fish and sea life in the gulf and threatens 4 states coastlines and the livelihoods of shrimp fishermen and resort owners, and anybody ELSE who makes their living off the coast or on the coast. If this oil gets washed up on Florida's beaches - can you imagine the billions $$$ that will be lost due to the negligence of BP ? Yes, I said negligence of BP.

In last nights NBC news with Brian Williams he stated that in 2005 15 BP workers were killed at the Texas BP plant and they had to pay out $ 370 million in compensation. In 2006 a BP oil rig blew letting out 212,000 gallons into Alaska . In 2009 $87.4 million in fines were levied by OSHA against the Texas City Refinery owned by BP for violations of safety codes and regulations. So this isn't the FIRST time BP has been guilty of negligence. The link if you want to see it from NBC's nightly news last night is : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#37073208 .

Not only should there be Billions of $$$ in penalties, but just like the captain that ran aground in Exxon Valdez in Alaska- there should be CRIMINAL prosecution against the CEO's and executives of BP for allowing this to happen. Accident or not- apparently they have a history of negligence and safety violations. I hope for human and animals welfare - this spill gets cleaned up as quickly as possible. It's an absolute F---ing disaster.

When are we as a country ever going to learn ? When will greed not take priority over safer, cleaner energy sources ? Will it take disasters worse than Exxon or BP to drill it into the idiot powers who decide heads that THIS is NOT the way to go ? I truly fear for our children's children down the road. As always I look forward to your comments ! Hey southern folks ! Give a shout out ! How are people responding down there where this is happening ? Let us know . You have our deepest sympathies for what you are going through. Hang in there, Peace out to all, Mr. Flipper

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi, Flip.

Great topic!

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/05/oil_spill_at_4_million_gallons.html

It's a mess. I live too far inland to be directly impacted by the spill, but the effect on seafood prices should be horrendous.

Governor Riley has set up a command center in Mobile, but it seems all they can do is wait and see.

It's a mess!

Sylvia

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Flipper -- This is bad news for us. Our seafood and tourism industries may really suffer, as well as the wildlife. I guess we simply don't know exactly how bad it's going to get, just yet.

The local governments and businesses are in Damage Control mode. They produced this, 'Open for Business' video:

http://birdwell.us/OFB2/

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Personally I think there should be an inter-national law instituted on to oil companies to have

a in place cut off mechanical mechanism at the bottom of every oil rig.

This could very well happen again somewhere else.

Oil drilling in the oceans at these kind of depths just seems to much of a risk environmentally,

but as everyone knows the wealth created by these oil companies and the reason why they

do it becomes quite clear.

Of course land based drilling is not as risky for break downs can be controlled easier.

Surely in this age of technology something could be designed to thwart these kinds of

mechanical break downs.

• undercover
    undercover

I'm in NC so you'd think it wouldn't affect us but it could. If the oil was to get to the Gulf Stream and come up the Atlantic, it could be devestating to the Eastern Seabord. The Stream comes pretty close to Hatteras on the OBX. It could be extremely devestating there.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe the spill is affecting the Gulf currents which in turn are affecting the weather across Alabama.

In effect, it's one big mess!

Sylvia

• I quit!
    I quit!

I'm not in the South but I'm angry about the spill. I hear that BP and Haliburton and the other companies involved are all before Congress blaming each other. The Norwegian government requires the offshore rigs to have a shut off system that can be activated remotely. The ones we use are activated from the platform which in this case burned down. The shut off systems used on the Norwegian platforms cost $500 K so they were thought to be too expensive to be required. A they really had no plan on how to deal with a problem if it came about. It is all about making a quick buck. Anyone in favor of increasing nuclear power should be rethinking their position base on how this problem is being handle.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Here's a good example of why "tort reform" is bullshit. The fishing industry alone is in danger of disappearing for the lifetimes of those who currently depend on it, and the most the oil companies are liable for is 75 million?????????? This is the industry that made the largest profits IN HISTORY last year.

• yknot
    yknot

Tragedy all around......

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It's bad news for us in Florida. I love our beaches. I hope they get this thing capped soon. I also think they should pay the full cost of cleanup.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit