Our Southern Friends- Are you Pissed about the Oil Spill? I Know I Am ...... !

by flipper 233 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I am upset now. For the past several days I have smelt something, I couldnt make any sense of it because I rarely watch

the news or read the papers, my wife has been out of town and I'm thinking whats wrong with me everything smells funny.

Now I realize I am smelling the oil, it kind of smells like plastic or oil from a car oil change it smells everywhere in Tampa Bay.

I'm sitting at my computer ar 3:30 am and it smells like I am covered with oil, in Pinellas county Seminole florida.

• flipper
    flipper

FREYDO- I agree- the government should do more also.

JAGUARBASS- I'm so sorry you can smell it throughout Tampa Bay now- that's ridiculous. If this slick travels around your entire state of Florida up into the Atlantic ovcean- there's going to be hell to pay for sure. Hang in there

• freydo
    freydo

Lifeguard Collin Cobia wears a bandana over his face for breathing protection as he watches the beach in Pensacola Beach, Florida AP Photo/Dave Martin

Florida oil spill update two counties close beaches, health advisories issued

"As Pensacola, Florida deals with the oil covering their beaches, two counties closed their beaches and activated alerts: Walton and Escambia. Florida residents and visitors may find updated information from the Florida Health Department regarding beach closings and health advisories at the My Florida Health site. Today marks the 66th day of the oil spill and the beach closures come with what has been deemed to be the worst impacts of the oil spill in Florida. The Florida Health Department advises people to stay clear of oil impacted waters and recommends that people keep away from any area where oil is visibly seen. Avoid skin contact with oil and oil products and do not touch dead or dying oiled wildlife........"

http://www.examiner.com/x-55379-Tampa-Gulf-Oil-Spill-Examiner~y2010m6d24-Slideshow-Florida-oil-spill-update-two-counties-close-beaches-health-advisories-issued--photos

• flipper
    flipper

FREYDO- Thanks for the picture and article. This is beyond all moral decency and comprehension ! Somebody above President Obama isn't letting him exercise his executive powers to enlist help from around the world to stop this pronto. Somebody tell me why in the F' ing hell if we are such a SUPREME world power here in the United States - can't our president enlist Norwegian or European high tech oil companies ( accustomed to more safety precautions than BP ) to put some skilled hot shot oil crews on this spill and get it stopped ? I think higher powers than the president are involved here for the almighty $$$$$ sake - they aren't fixing this. Something's rotten in Denmark, er America.

What if this had happened off the shores of Washington D.C. ? Or New York ? You think they'd be letting it go this long ? I highly doubt it. Something is awry. Hundreds of thousand's of people 's lives will be permanently damaged forever by this horrid oil spill - and all we can see is mainstream media and Brian Williams interviewing a main BP official on NBC news trying to plug a PR for the company and say he's sorry ! Well, sorry isn't good enough here folks - BP officials should be jailed and put up on criminal charges - and ALL their assets and billion's seized by the government to pay off EVERYBODY they've hurt ! AND for the damages to beaches, oceans, and wildlife ! You know WHY that won't happen ? Because BP was a big supporter of Obama . We are up to our necks in crookedness and corruption in this country. It's gonna get uglier before it get's better. I blame the huge corporations who run our president and this country. They emasculate and take away the power of the president.

O.K. I'm going to exhale now and mournfully drink some Merlot wine

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Theres a youtube video that some guy took on Pensacola beach. You can see tar all along the beach and not a soul around. He says the water is bubbling and he zooms in on it - I don't know why it's doing that but apparently he doesn't know either. He says it looks kind of like acid bubbling...there have been a ton of reports on the dangers of benzene and even more on the 'what if' scenario should the methane bubble explode. sammieswife

• flipper
    flipper

SAMMIE'S WIFE- Wow. Sounds like an interesting u-tube. The underestimated and not talked about enough danger in all of this is the methane gas like you said. Not only what it is doing to the ocean's underneath and on top and to the sea creatures- but how much of these gasses you mentioned- also the benzene are escaping into the air threatening humans as well ? I shudder to think when a tropical storm comes in or a hurricane - how much of this gunk will be pushed into onshore water tables of communities - thus endangering healthy drinking water ? I don't think we've seen the tip of the iceberg yet on how much damage this spill is going to cause. Sick

• freydo
  • flipper
    flipper

FREYDO- Thanks for the u-tube. So my suspicions are confirmed. Now it's raining oil. Jesus christ. Figures. Can you imagine what will happen when hurricane season comes ? Don't even want to think of it. Those poor people down there. This is criminal

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

From the L.A. Times. . .

In case you were tempted to buy the faux Washington outrage at BP and its gulf oil spill in recent days, here's a story that reveals a little-known corporate political connection and the quiet way the inner political circles intersect, protect and care for one another in the nation's capital. And Chicago.

We already knew that BP and its folks were significant contributors to the record $750-million war chest of Barack Obama's 2007-08 campaign.

Now, we learn the details of a connection of Rahm Emanuel, the Chicago mayoral wannabe, current Obama chief of staff, ex-representative, ex-Clinton money man and ex-Windy City political machine go-fer.

Shortly after Obama's happy inaugural, eyebrows rose slightly upon word that, as a House member, Emanuel had lived the last five years rent-free in a D.C. apartment of Democratic colleague Rep. Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut and her husband, Stanley Greenberg.

For an ordinary American, that would likely raise some obvious tax liability questions. But like Emanuel, the guy overseeing the Internal Revenue Service now is another Obama insider, Tim Geithner, who had his own outstanding tax problems but skated through confirmation anyway by the Democratic-controlled Congress.

Remember this was all before the letters BP stood for Huge Mess. Even before the Obama administration gave BP a safety award.

Now follow these standard Washington links if you can:

Greenberg's consulting firm was a prime architect of BP's recent rebranding drive as a green petroleum company, down to green signs and the slogan "Beyond Petroleum."

Greenberg's company is also closely tied to a sister Democratic outfit -- GCS, named for the last initials of Greenberg, James Carville, another Clinton advisor, and Bob Shrum, John Kerry's 2004 campaign manager.

According to published reports, GCS received hundreds of thousands of dollars in political polling contracts in recent years from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

Probably just a crazy coincidence. But you'll never guess who was the chairman of that Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee dispensing those huge polling contracts to his kindly rent-free landlord.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/06/rahm-emanuel-bp-gul-oil-spill.html

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

IRS Wants Taxes from BP Payments for Lost Wages

The Internal Revenue Service says oil spill victims who receive BP payments for lost wages will have to pay up come tax time.

Under current law, BP payments for lost wages are taxable — just like the wages would have been, the IRS said in tax guidance issued Friday. Payments for physical injuries or property loss, however, are generally tax free. Payments for emotional distress ? Taxable, though medical expenses related to the emotional distress are deductible .

BP officials have agreed to create a $20 billion fund for spill victims, as well as a $100 million fund to support displaced oil rig workers.

The IRS issued the guidance Friday to help spill victims sort through the law's complexities. The agency has posted tax information for oil spill victims on its website and plans to hold forums in seven Gulf Coast cities on July 17 to help victims with tax troubles or questions.

. . .

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100625/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_taxes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit