Memorial 2010 Your Experiences

by scotinsw 136 Replies latest jw experiences

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

jookbeard, they fail to see that threy could simply be unitedly wrong.

• Room 215
    Room 215

The two songs were hideous; the speaker, a Bethelite, managed to give an entire Memorial talk without one use of the word "resurrection."

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Issac; that as well, not forgetting a policy that has seen millions of babies and children murdered, a cozy union with The Great Harlot/Wild Beast, an under cover scandal that let 2 repulsive sexual deviants serve as members of their G/B for many years, and a world wide child abuse scandal that far outweighs anything that the Churches of "Christendom" have ever been guilty of, yep they certainly are "united"

• Mary
    Mary

My experience last night was pretty run of the mill. They made a brief mention of Jesus telling Judas "whatever it is that you are doing, do it quickly" and then the talk immediately went into how Jesus, as the prime "Witness for Jehovah" established the Lord's Evening Meal. My immediate thought was of course, that Jesus was not a Jehovah's Witness---he was a Jew and was celebrating the Jewish Passover. Yes, he gave a new meaning to it that Christians are supposed to observe, but I was just rankled at the ridiculous attempt at distancing Jesus from being a Jew and making him a Dub instead.

Then of course, it went into the old 'who-gets-to-partake' bullshit. They read the verse in Revelation about the 144,000, then they read the scripture about those whose spirit bears witness with God's spirit are the annointed. Then they read the scripture about "I have other sheep which are not of this fold" and of course, applied it to all the other Witlesses, as well as Abraham, Isaac, Moses, Jacob claiming that there is "no evidence that any pre-Christian faithful ones had the heavenly hope." Hmmmm......what about the scripture (I think in Hebrews) that specifically claims that people would come from far away to see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven? What about the scripture that talks about the 'great cloud of witnesses' and where it mentions the pre-Christian faithful ones and how they had a "better hope---one belonging to heaven"??

He then proceeded to talk about the Noo System and read the scripture in Isaiah about how the wolf and lamb would reside together, blah, blah, blah and if we wanted to get there to see this phenomenon, we had to take in "accurate knowledge". This of course can only be done by associating with Jehovah's Witlesses, repent of our sins, get baptized and become another drone for the Borg. I was sitting there thinking "are you going to mention Jesus at all??" He didn't. In fact, when the bread and wine were being passed around, he put far more emphasis on how exactly the bread and wine were made than what he did about Jesus. He even suggested what kinds of wines could be used, like a Pinet Noir or a Cabernet Savignon. I'm sure Jesus was tickled pink that there was more mention made of this than of him dying for mankind.

The one thing that did catch my attention is where he said that "only" 10,825 (I think) partook of the emblems last year". I whispered to my mother "geeze.....that's really gone up from a few years ago!" I was just sitting there getting more and more agitated at both the meaningless drivel coming from the platform, as well as the glazed look on the audience's face as they just sucked this crap up and I thought "thank god it's only 45 minutes long." He spent a good 15 minutes pitching the infommercial part at the end and that if we wanted a 'free home bible study' to just speak to one of the attendents afterwards. Riiiight. I'll get right on that. I remember thinking that if I were a 'worldly' person coming to the Hall for the first time, I would be extremely put off by the entire 'Memorial' because it has almost nothing to do with Jesus, and everything to do with their obsessiveness over who gets to take the bread and wine.

Another thing I noticed is that in years past, the Hall was always booked to capacity for the Memorial with people having to sit in both the Second School as well as the foyer. Last night, no one was sitting in the Second School and the Hall was only 3/4 full. I guess it's pretty slim pickins out there now! LOL!

They also went and changed the notes on the two songs we sang. God, it sounds REALLY depressing now and I'm not sure what the hell Crooklyn was thinking when they did that. Idiots.

I got the love-bombing as soon as I walked in and the how-much-we've-missed-you from everyone. I didn't like alot of these people to begin with, but there were definitely a few that I do miss. Two of the elders came up and gave me a big hug and I believe it was genuine, as the three of us had been really good friends. They didn't preach at me, we just talked about old times. While it was nostelgic, I realized of course, that we would never be friends like we used to, because there's no way on earth I could ever go back and listen to the Borg's bullshit views of the scriptures several times a week for the rest of my life. Last night was difficult enough, there's not a chance in hell I would endure that for the rest of my life for anyone.

All in all, it was a pathetic experience, but then, what else did I really expect?

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

I hung out at a restaurant with another ex-dub, we had mushroom pizza, goat cheese and tomato pizza, and Sam Adams Noble Pils... My 12 and 10 year old kids went to the memorial with the ex-wife, the oldest tagged along simply because she told him that it was the only meeting he had to attend this year and he missed last year. I sent him a text earlier in the day stating that it's only one night, it's a short meeting, makes your mother happy, etc...and he didn't rock the boat and he went. A good night for all I guess.

• Podobear
    Podobear

Must admit I was on a flight back from Poland from having private surgery, and had completely forgotten about this years celebration.

It was not until I telephoned to my parents at 5.30pm that mother told me Dad was on a mad dash to get to "his meeting" as he had the first shift starting at 6.10pm. From past experience it wasn't worth trying to get him to the 'phone.

Must admit it has been wonderful discussing this subject here and expressing views free from "the fear of" censorship. Thanks to those who have taken the time to post to me on this related subject.

I am going to put a spoke in here in favour of JW interpretation of events: Quartodeciminism was a feature of early Christianity.. the Roman soldiers knew the best occasion to round up those confounded Christians. There is only ONE hope it is true... but there are two DESTINIES, an earthly one and through the death of Jesus a heavenly one two.

Die hard promoters of Christendom and, I am afraid, exjw newbies to their ranks, generally fall silent on that fact. Jesus did not throw out all the Messianic promises of the Hebrew Scriptures (OT, if you will).. he was the start of a Kingdom government.

Much very interesting material has been provided for me on this matter, and I feel I can now fall in agreement, that ALL those born into Christ should honour the Lord's Evening Meal by participating. The "calling" or "anointing" of the individual is between him/her and Jesus himself. The Destiny we aspire to is between Christ as the Head of the Christian Congregation and we alone.

I feel it is entirely disrespectful of any conviction to show disdain by showing videos of people chewing gum and quaffing the Emblematic wine.. and do not agree with such puerile and god dishonouring actions. I showed respect to the faith of others as a JW and continue to acknowledge the deep conviction of most JW's at this sacred occasion.

Since none of us was alive to interpret the periodicity, format or even the entirety of the meaning of Jesus' instruction... we ought defer to honouring the committment of others.

For those who have completely abandoned faith for secularism... it should matter a t*****s c**s anyway!

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

In fact, when the bread and wine were being passed around, he put far more emphasis on how exactly the bread and wine were made than what he did about Jesus. He even suggested what kinds of wines could be used, like a Pinet Noir or a Cabernet Savignon. I'm sure Jesus was tickled pink that there was more mention made of this than of him dying for mankind.

This had to be a 100% scripted talk this year. Mine was EXACTLY the same.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Mary, you went?

• Heaven
    Heaven

I did not receive an invitation this year. My Dad didn't even mention it either. Bonus!

Spent the time with my sweetheart. Sigh!

• knows better
    knows better

it was just pure shit. speaker says "you must OBEY" like 3 times in a row. very strange and that god will destroy you if you don't. like a real downer. not a very encourging or thoughtfull talk at all. just a mess. a few folks were partaking, which was funny. i guess he didn't make it too clear. missapplied scriptures out the ying-yang. at leat im done till next year. unless we have some major changes. i continue to hope for change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit