Memorial 2010 Your Experiences

by scotinsw 136 Replies latest jw experiences

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@ Mary:

Love your comments. I didn't go to the Memorial this year or last, but I totally relate to ALL of your comments. You stated something to the effect of how a newly interested or "Worldly" would take in this event. Well, I have some insight into that very situation. About 8 years ago before my wife and I were married, she knew of my JW beliefs. I was very inactive, but still partially believing of their BS. She was open enough to the religion and respectful enough of my beliefs to ask to attend the Memorial with me. So I took her.

Her reaction? One of utter confusion, disgust, and she was incredibly bored. If no one partook of the emblems, why even bother to show up to "reject" them? She brought up so many good points that I had NEVER thought of in my life. She even questioned some Elders that came up to me after the "celebration". I think her biggest point, one that again I had NEVER though to ask as a JW (Because we are trained NOT to think and ask questions) is that even if we have 2 hopes (one heavenly, one earthly) why wouldn't ALL partake as Jesus directed? After all, he stated that ALL whom wanted eternal life were to keep doing these things in remembrance of Him. This bit of logic smacked me right in the face. I don't recall him directing only the Annointted to keep doing this, or even say "only the Little Flock"....NO, he said ALL were to do this.

Also, as I grew up in this JW religion, I could never figure out why it was called a "Celebration" of the Lord's Evening Meal. It was just another meeting to me, except I got to pass the bread and wine - woo-hoo!! Only later as an adult did I hear of the all of the families, cliques, etc that all got together AHEAD of time for large suppers out at nice resteraunts or at their homes together. Guess what? My family NEVER got invited to such "to-dos" as I guess we were never considered GOOD ENOUGH for such invitations. So it pisses me off that I and my family never even got to "celebrate" this event as alot of the other wealthier, cliquish-type people did. We didn't do jack shit except go and then come home. NEVER went out to a nice resteraunt to observe it beforehand and celebrate, either by ourselves or with anyone else. What a gip!!!!!

Know what I did last night? I had a nice Italian supper with my family, where we had garlic bread and Mogen David (Kosher) grape wine. Damn, I love that stuff and Manischevitz. I drink that stuff almost every night, not just on Passover. I let my 6 year old have the last little sip of my wine, and told him it was the only time of year he's allowed because it was Passover, and Jesus told all of his followers to keep doing this as part of the New Covenant. My son drank the sip and said, "Um, Yum!!!" Later, I read him the Lord's Supper story from the "Every Day with God" bible story book that I bought. Before everyone goes off and tells me I'm creating an alcoholic, let me state that my own father allowed me to drink wine from the time I was about 5 from time to time in the same fashion. Guess what? It takes away this auro that we in America have over booze. Hey, in Europe kids are allowed to drink wine?

Anyway, that's how my night went. Oh, and I didn't get an invite to the Memorial in nearly 3 years now. That's with a neighbour JW Elder being on the same street as me. What a fine witness for Jehovah the reclusive, oddball JW family is.

- Wing Commander

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

The congreation I visited this year met in a funeral home. Really surreal right?

I have to start out with what others have already said, the songs are just horrendous. I couldn't belive the words I was hearing was very similer to the same song we have have been singing since 1984 yet sounded so foreign.

Our speaker mentioned Jesus just a little more than some of the other experiences above, but not much. I was shocked on how much time was spent reminding everyone that it was unlkely that anyone in the room should partake. You could picture the outline as he was talking, but this speaker was better than average and showed a little more love than many others I have heard.

I had to giggle about the scripture used in deuteronomy to support celebration on the passover on a yearly basis, as the second half of the scripture says to celebate it 6 days and on the 7th do no work.

I pretended to be an outsider, neatly groomed beard, red-letter bible held up so the people sitting around me could see it. Still didn't get much attention. I figure if an outsider did show up it would be their one and only time.

We had to quickly clear out because another congregation was meeting immediately after, so I didn't get to talk with the speaker.

• The_Present_Truth
    The_Present_Truth

This is the first year ever that I didn't receive an invite - not even a phone call from my parents. I guess my repetitive words to them over the last few months, "this religion will never,ever be part of my life again" - has finally sunk in. My dad likely gave the memorial talk, he always does. Sighhh ...

On the songs ... have to say I'm glad I missed out on the new songs. I haven't heard a praiseworthy thing about them. That always baffled me. With all the resources that the WTBTS had in Brooklyn, could they not come up with some songs that were more jubilant and praising of Jehovah and Jesus. Songs that were happy in nature and could not be mistaken for anything else? Instead, they come up with these flat, somber songs (with the exception of a few). They need to take a lesson from these folks down here in the South. They know how to sing praises! I don't attend any other churches but occasionally I'll be flipping through the channels and see them on the weekends. It's a whole different feeling. Did it ever strike you odd that these other religions are so happy and jubilant in their praises and the witnesses for the most part were so monotone and somber in theirs?

The_Present_Truth

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I didn't go, for the first time since I was a small child and my mom started studying. Even though I know it was the right thing my stomach churned and the guilt was nearly overwhelming. I had a horrible night. It's amazing how powerful the indoctrination is and how reason can't just instantly turn it off. Psychology is fascinating to me.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have not been to a Memorial in 4 or five years, but for some reason not going this year bothered me a bit more than other years.

I think because I had some invites to go and by not going it shows my disinterest, disrespect, How more spiritually sick I must appear and/or apostate to my witness "friends"

It broadens the gap even farther between us.

I thought of the Memorials I did attend and realized I felt no emotional attachments to them whatsoever. It was just another meeting and depending on what day it fell on was a mad rush to get there after a day at work and hurry home to get ready for next days work. Quite possibly I never had the proper attitude towards this celebration or quite possibly, because I was raised Catholic and had quite another experience. Easter was a bit different in that we went to Church that day because we wanted to and it did mean something to me with my relationship with Jesus. I did not go out of fear or guilt from the prodding of others. It strengthened my bond with whatever I had going with God and Jesus at the time.

Last night I thought about all the people on the planet that have this relationship with Jesus, and how it effects their lives either positively or negatively. I have broken that contract/agreement so it has no value to me any longer. Briefly I felt fearful that I had done that, what if it all were really true, all the symbolism, sacrifice, beliefs and agreements?

I realize I killed my belief system in a savior and that whole thought process.

So although I did not observe the Memorial last night as the witnesses do, the night brought on many thoughts and feelings this year.

purps

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Damn, did I miss it again?

• Quirky1
    Quirky1
    Damn, did I miss it again?

Ditto...lol

• 70-Years-Of-Servatude
    70-Years-Of-Servatude

I turned left out of the parking lot after they made a special announcement to turn right, and I got an orange cone flashlight waved at me. I'll be invited into the B-School on Sunday for council.

• Mary
    Mary
    isaacaustin asked: Mary, you went?

I did. God knows I certainly didn't want to. I did it because my parents asked me to and after what we've been through the last year, I decided to bite the bullet and went to make them happy. They don't bug me any other time and they know I do not believe it's 'the truth', yet they do not shun me. Funny, if they actually went by what the Borg told them and they did shun me, I wouldn't ever step foot inside a KH again.

WingCommander, you're right about how worldly people must interpret the Memorial. Especially if they've gone to another church where everyone partakes, and where they actually mention Jesus. While I fully admit that I didn't recognize half of the people there, (I think they've just moved into the congregation from another congregation), I didn't see hardly anyone who could be classified as a "newly interested one" like in years past. Maybe those that did attend in previous years were so appalled that they not only decided never to come back, but they've spread the word about what Jehovah's Witnesses do to 'celebrate' Jesus' death: Absolutely nothing.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Left work late and went to the mall then went grocery shopping. I forgot all about it yesterday until I saw this thread this morning.

I'm sure my family will call and ask if I went and the answer will be "No, the evening got away from me." If I give 'em an inch, they'll want a mile...no need in giving them false hope, they already have enough of that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit