God and Suffering

by AK - Jeff 322 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• superpunk
    superpunk

I personally believe that God is Love, I am a Christian and that is the view and path that I have Choosen for myself.

Oh damnit. But you JUST said...."IF God exists and is omnipotent and omniscient, we have NO IDEA what God does and why God does it."

If you start making positive assertions about your deity and his nature, then you've just violated your own principle - and you're opening up your God to all sorts of criticism from skeptics - criticisms for which you will have to fall back on statements like "It's a mystery" or "We can't understand" while at the same time trying to uphold your positive assertion, which you've already invalidated....

If that makes sense.

"God is love" and "we have NO IDEA what God does and why God does it" are contradictory statements.

Tying to understand the incomprehensibale is a human trait and a good one if you aske me

I completely disagree. Trying to understand things for which we do not as yet have reasonable explanations is a human trait and a good one. Trying to understand the incomprehensible, only leads to humans making up completely unverifiable myths and stunting their own growth.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Superpunk,

I have no problem in my faith being opposed to my logic.

It's not, not to me anyways, heck I even believe in evolution too !

• superpunk
    superpunk

So your position would be that a "God of Love" needs us to ignore our thinking abilities (which he allegedly gave us, not sure if you believe that or not) in order to maintain our faith? Do you find that a little cruel and JWistic?

"Look we know that nothing we have ever predicted has come true, but we're totally God's chosen organization and we'd appreciate it if you did not question that and get your ass out in field service."

Oops...I may have used logic.

It's not, not to me anyways

I just explained how it is. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

See, there is the difference between you and I on a very significant level. My faith has to be logical or I cast it aside as worthless. What point would it be to have faith in gravity and its effects on matter if gravity didn't have consistently and logically applied characteristics?

Sorry for the shoddy comparison on short notice. LOL

Jeff

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Ok, so I guess kidding doesn't come across very well on the internet.

My faith in God is based on my belief in his Son Jesus and the teachings of Jesus and that, to me, means that God is Love as his son is Love.

The is the frist thing that must be understood.

I see the world as being the way it is because it can be no other way, a see evolution as one of God's many tools, God did not snap his fingers and the cosmos came to be, God started the process and the laws the govern it.

Do I think that God interfers, ie: miracles?

I think that if things are suppose to happen they will happen and that we have free will, which means that what happens has as much to do with US as with God.

You ask how I know that God is love and I said its because of Jesus, well there is more to that because, how do I know that Jesus is love, right?

I can only speak for myself and NO ONE else, I know that Jesus is love because I have felt it, seen it, heard it and it is a part of me.

To deny IT, I would have to deny ME and I can't do that.

• superpunk
    superpunk

My faith in God is based on my belief in his Son Jesus and the teachings of Jesus and that, to me, means that God is Love as his son is Love.

Do you really not see how that is completely contrary to your previous (and IMO completely honest and refreshing) statement?;

IF God exists and is omnipotent and omniscient, we have NO IDEA what God does and why God does it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

You didn't read the rest of my post, did you?

• superpunk
    superpunk

Yes, I did. But all I saw was a fuzzy born-again testimonial, which IMO also is invalidated by your previous statement as outlined above, and I thought if posted about it twice it might become redundant.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Fair enough PSac. I respect your right to have faith. I am struggling with any faith at all these days. I am treading down the agnostic demarcation - but doing so soberly.

Peace

Jeff

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I do. Truth cannot contradict truth.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit