God and Suffering

by AK - Jeff 322 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Ah guys, you do know that its OK if you don't believe in God and that other people do, right?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Psac,

I'm sure a large portion do, but some believe that God gets hurt feeling when you don't believe in him and he will not give you any goodies if you don't have faith.

• superpunk
    superpunk

Ah guys, you do know that its OK if you don't believe in God and that other people do, right?

For the purposes of a "Why does God permit suffering" thread it's necessary for all participants to begin with the assumption that God exists - even if they do not personally believe so, I think.

If no suitable explanation is found, then other conclusions can be drawn. (He doesn't exist, he is malevolent, he is indifferent, etc.)

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

superpunk

For the purposes of a "Why does God permit suffering" thread it's necessary for all participants to begin with the assumption that God exists

I agree with you, but, you're asking an awful lot of atheists, when you insist that, they, (like every other person) addmit they use presuppositions, to form their opinions.

• superpunk
    superpunk

I agree with you, but, you're asking an awful lot of atheists, when you insist that, they, (like every other person) addmit they use presuppositions, to form their opinions.

I don't think so. I think most would admit it. For instance, to begin any analysis of our world, we have to first suppose that "we exist", and that we are not currently living in the Matrix. Could we be wrong? Sure. But that would make our consciousness a pointless, never-ending struggle and would most likely drive us insane.

Presupposing the existence of invisible beings is a very different animal. But again, that's another thread or something. In this thread, God exists - if I understand the OP correctly. From there, we analyze his apparent inaction and indifference to human suffering.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I haven't read all 10 pages, but the obvious answer is that God allows suffering to prove his Universal Sovereignty. And don't ask any more questions because God will get really mad.

• superpunk
    superpunk

I haven't read all 10 pages, but the obvious answer is that God allows suffering to prove his Universal Sovereignty. And don't ask any more questions because God will get really mad.

I read it the other day..."God wants to prove to the people of Haiti that they can't live in a world with earthquakes".

Point proven IMO.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I don't think there is an obvious answer, fact is, IF God exists and is omnipotent and omniscient, we have NO IDEA what God does and why God does it.

Its like a single cell ameoba trying to figure out why humans created the Atomic bomb.

• superpunk
    superpunk

I don't think there is an obvious answer, fact is, IF God exists and is omnipotent and omniscient, we have NO IDEA what God does and why God does it.

Its like a single cell ameoba trying to figure out why humans created the Atomic bomb.

I think that is a very brilliant outlook.

I think if we assume what you've said is true - "God exists, and we cannot comprehend him" - we have to look at any and all attempts to define God as dishonest (and if we look closer, self-serving) - whether that be the Bible, the Qu'ran, or the countless branches of Christianity that exist today. The second anyone makes a positive assertion about God, i.e. God is Love, God cares about us, etc, They have violated our principle of God being incomprehensible.

If everyone were as honest as you we would have less discord.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I think that is a very brilliant outlook.
    I think if we assume what you've said is true - "God exists, and we cannot comprehend him" - we have to look at any and all attempts to define God as dishonest (and if we look closer, self-serving) - whether that be the Bible, the Qu'ran, or the countless branches of Christianity that exist today. The second anyone makes a positive assertion about God, i.e. God is Love, God cares about us, etc, They have violated our principle of God being incomprehensible.
    If everyone were as honest as you we would have less discord.

I don't have issue with anyone TRYING to comprehhend God or advocating a doctrine, liek the Trinity for example, as a way of understanding God;s nature, The issue is when it becomes "We are right and everyone else is wrong", THAT is the problem.

I personally believe that God is Love, I am a Christian and that is the view and path that I have Choosen for myself.

I also accept that this view is NOT for everyone and that other views may be just as valid and as such, I respect all views that don't lead to people being hurt, violence or death.

Tying to understand the incomprehensibale is a human trait and a good one if you aske me, trying to FORCE people to agree with a POSSIBLE conclusion of that attempt to understand, THAT I have issues with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit