God and Suffering

by AK - Jeff 322 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82
    Think of the lessons that we all could learn, like how short and fragil life is. But most of us will continue to take it forgranted.

So the orphans lived and died to solely teach me a lesson?

I dunno, I think I could have learned the same lesson in a less tragic fashion.

And, what's the point of repeating the lesson so often? Infants have been dying of dehydration for thousands of years, millions of them through the ages. I get it, already!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Do you "blame" God for this? or nature? or their parents for living in an earthquake zone?

On another thread, Cofty said, "$hit happens". We live on a cooling planet. Earthquakes are going to kill people.

When you don't believe in God, you don't blame him for anything.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

PSac,

Do you "blame" God for this? or nature? or their parents for living in an earthquake zone?

It all depends how pragmatic we are, and how strong our inner urges are to assign guilt to something or someone,, as if really mattered.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    On another thread, Cofty said, "$hit happens". We live on a cooling planet. Earthquakes are going to kill people.
    When you don't believe in God, you don't blame him for anything.

I can respect that.

I beleive in God and I don't blame God for anything either.

The world is the way it is because it can't be any other way.

EQ will kill people, just as will hurricanes and whatnot, of course the amount of deaths is something we can "control" to an extent, but we don't really think about that do we? or there wouldn't be 10's of millions of people living in an EQ zone like in California.

• Perry
    Perry

So if not the biblical explanation about us being by nature...his enemies, What?

Either God is good; or, we are good. That's really what it comes down to.

Either God doesn't exist and matter appeared out of nothing, or we aren't good. We have zero evidence for the former and mountains of evidence for the latter to those willing to look at it.

• superpunk
    superpunk

Either God doesn't exist and matter appeared out of nothing, or we aren't good.

You're joking, right?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Correct on both counts. God does not exist and we are not good. This is the first logical statement you have ever uttered Perry. Treasure the memory.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Why are believers convinced that matter could not have always been, but are willing to believe that God has always been?

Jeff

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Jeff

Why are believers convinced that matter could not have always been...

Science seems to suggest otherwise.

• Perry
    Perry
    Why are believers convinced that matter could not have always been, but are willing to believe that God has always been?

Jeff,

DD beat me to it. Scientists seem to generally agree that time, space and matter all came into existence at the same time. This of course is consistent with the biblical account. It follows, logically I might add, that whatever that First Cause was, self-existed and transcends time, space and matter. The timeless nature of God is characterized in many of his biblical names like the Alpha and the Omega etc.

But going back to the topic at hand, because this subject is surely one of the top two or three questions for man of all time; Is it safe to assume based on the evidence you initially put forth and that I later criticized, that you are willing to entertain most any thoughts on this subject EXCEPT for a biblical Christian explanation?

If so, why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit