Christian Arrogance

by startingover 104 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

What I mean by pacifist is letting others run all over you, turning the other cheek, as it were.

Because I can make some hard-hitting, cutting remarks at times, my Christianity has often been called into question.

When Jesus of Nazareth advised his listeners to turn the other cheek, I believe he was referring to their Roman oppressors.

You know, discretion is the better part of valor thingy ...

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jesus's remark of trun the other cheek was in direct contrast with the whole OT "eye for an eye", Jesus understood that violence begets violence and that forgiveness is A LOT harder than retaliation.

He knew that love for one's enemy is what wins "wars", ex: Ghandi and MLK Jr.

He was a pacifist and it takes a lot more cojones to be a pacifist when one can kick ass than it takes to actually kick ass.

The first step in any healing process is forgiveness and Jesus knew that ALL of us have much to answer for so we should be the last to judge others or seek retribution on others.

As for Paul, he words were his sword and the fact is, he turned the other cheek many times, he was left for dead more than once and I don't recall him every trying to take "anyone with him" when he was going down.

Look at the example of Stephen in Acts.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    He [Jesus] was a pacifist

I respectfully disagree, PSAC. He drove moneychangers from the Temple; He went up to Jerusalem for every festival, knowing full well that the Jewish hierarchy wanted Him dead. He even challenged Herod, ruler of His district! I see no pacifism there.

LUKE13:31 At that time some Pharisees came to Jesus and said to him, "Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you."

32 He replied, "Go tell that fox, 'I will drive out demons and heal people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.' 33 In any case, I must keep going today and tomorrow and the next day—for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem! NIV

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think you and I have a different understanding of pacifisim, mine doesn't preculde kick ass when it needs to be done.

• snowbird
  • xmkx
    xmkx

Well, I have seen the attitude out of professed Christians that "God chose me and not you" but the statement you quoted doesn't seem to be an example of this. The person is just stating that they feel God has touched their lives and they're happier for it.

I suspect that people that take the "I'm one of God's special people" stance are trying to make up for a lack of self confidence and self love. They also seem to have way too much of an interest in what others are doing compared to what they themselves are doing. In their minds there's "good" people and "bad" people and they're one of the "good" people. It also seems that it's not just like they think they are one of the "good" people but they have to convince themselves beyond any shadow of a doubt that they are most definitely one of those "good" people. One of the ways that the human mind accomplishes this is by pointing out the differences between itself and other people that are deemed to be "bad". Hence the arrogance... it all boils down to big fat denial out of some deeply rooted fear, more than likely fear of abandonment or lacking affirmation. These folks just don't get that as adults we are supposed to be nurturing and affirming ourselves on the inside, not looking towards God on the outside to do it for us. He is our support, not our babysitter.

Personally as a "liberal" Christian I believe God loves all people and makes it possible for all people to reach Him. It's up to us though whether or not we are going to reach out to Him. The ONLY thing that is a Christian's business is their personal relationship with Him, and it's not meant to be a status symbol. Defining your self worth by the God you worship is just like defining your self worth by the friends you have.

• snowbird
  • snowbird
    snowbird

I don't know what happened to my previous posts, but my understanding of a pacifist is a person who opposes war or violence, period.

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I don't know what happened to my previous posts, but my understanding of a pacifist is a person who opposes war or violence, period.

And that is a valid one, mine is a person that opposes the use of force outside personal defense.

I don't think putting an "absolute" on pacifisim is a good thing, there are no absolutes.

Someone that advocates loving your enemy is a pacifist, some one who preferes peace over violence.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Judgmental and intolerant.Beksbks do I come across this way?
    I do NOT consider myself religious,but I do claim to be Christian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit