Christian Arrogance

by startingover 104 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

Like I said, maybe arrogance was the wrong word. What word would better describe the situation when you claim god chose you and not me? At one point in my life, I was more than willing but he never came knocking.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I can't think of the word, either.

I hope it isn't smugness, however.

The Apostle Paul discusses this very situation in Romans 2, 9, and 11.

http://bibleresources.bible.com/bible_message.php

Why not take the time to read it?

Sylvia

• shamus100
    shamus100

Startingover,

It's easy to group them all together. God knows I've been guilty of it in the past.

And trust me, there is a lot of smugness on some threads, and it certainly isn't from the religious people either.

Just my .02 cents.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    It's easy to group them all together. God knows I've been guilty of it in the past.

Shamus, I am very happy to see that you have advanced a great deal. It's true. I also used to lump atheists together at one time.

BTS

• shamus100
    shamus100

BTS,

The only reason why we all hate religion (being ex-dubs, and the a-typical cult survivors) is because we see so much of it in ourselves. The haughtiness, the self-righteousness, the thinly veiled hatred.

It's a great part of leaving the cult - anger, that is. And people generally lash out at whatever they can, religion being the best at the time.

I mean really, would any one of us actually have this conversation or be this rude if we were all face to face? I think not.

The only reason why this Perry character is the latest lashing vicitim is he is a bit on the haughty side, and he only reminds us of how we all used to believe, which is, (in my opinion) highly inapropriate. But how am I any better than Perry? I had the exact same mentality, and am just as if not more guilty than he is.

• beksbks
    beksbks

startingover,

I have to agree with you completely. I was having a conversation with a friend one day about believing. He a baptist, me an atheist. Essentially he said the reason I didn't believe was because god had not chosen to enlighten me. How convenient. How arrogant. How sad. I figure if that is what they need, so be it. If they need to believe that they won the football game, or got a job, or didn't skid off the road in black ice, etc etc etc,(even though the kid down the street just died of leukemia, or thousands of people have just died in an earthquake in Albania) because god is watching over them, so be it. Let them have it.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

What word would better describe the situation when you claim god chose you and not me?

Narcissism: A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem.

~Sue

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

No. It is a basic outcome of Calvinist theology.

BTS, tiptoeing through the TULIPS.

• hecouldbewrong
    hecouldbewrong

Why do Christians have the arrogance market cornered?

• Robdar
    Robdar
    At one point in my life, I was more than willing but he never came knocking

I believe there is a scripture that suggests you are the one who is supposed to knock and then the door will be answered; ask and you shall receive, etc. But what do I know? I'm not Christian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit