Christian Arrogance

by startingover 104 Replies latest jw friends

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

AK-jeff

What if you wanted to be chosen for decades and thought you were, then found out you weren't.

Perhaps when you "found out you weren't" that was God trying to help you - just a thought.....

I don't see how it can be argued that there is a certain arrogance of aire when someone believes that Sky-Daddy has picked them as son/daughter, thus favoring them for everlasting cloud-dweller while planning a hot southern retreat for us 'uncalled and unchosen'.

Who said you are "uncalled and unchosen"? Did you come to this conclusion yourself due to past experience's?

I view myself as a christian and I certainly do not think that way - I believe christ died for all mankind, not just for a select elite few or some particular group.

Their is hope for us all yet.........

• Chalam
    Chalam

Why didn't god choose me? Please don't take this question as if I feel I am missing something because I don't.

In one sense you have answered your own question.

That said, understand God's choices is not something I try to get my head around too much. My brain is too limited to comprehend the infinite.

What I can appreciate is choosing God is important.

I just don't care for the arrogance.

I found nothing in the quoted post that was arrogant, only sincerity.

Jeff, I've spoken to you previously about what God has done for me. He restored my ability to love and to trust. He gave me a new family. He made himself known to me. I no longer have to worry about whether or not he exists. I no longer need worry about death, judgment or about getting my needs met. Millions of others will tell you similar testimonies.

I do think Perry might be wiser to bail from certain discussions but that is another subject.

Arrogance and pride is not the nature of Christ. Humility and love is.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (New International Version)

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

I am sure Perry has a spirit of the Christ, not the antichrist. That said, I freely admit, we are not perfect, and I am sure Perry would agree.

God values you as much as He does us. Although we have come to realise that, what is clear it is not because of any merit of our own.

Blessings,

Stephen

• startingover
    startingover

Thanks for all the comments.

Do any of you think that JW's are arrogant or smug in their belief that they are the only one who have the truth?

• chickpea
    chickpea

it is the rigidity and inflexibility of
    most, if not all, religious movements
    that restrict the genuine fluidity of
    human nature... my god can beat
    your god usually precedes slaughter...
    arrogance on steroids!

which i suppose is one
    way to kill off a god...
    kill all its adherents

hmmmm....
    imagine no religion,
    i wonder if we can.....

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman
    Imagine no religion,
    i wonder if we can.....

The absense of religion would not make it a better world - just a different one.

• wobble
    wobble

I prayed on my knees for God to speak to me, and give me direction.

I did the same to Jesus.

A short time later,and I mean frighteningly short, a JW called on me, with the specific purpose of getting me back in it. Nobody else called,not even a still small voice inside me.

What do all yous'e make of that. Especially you Christians. It is perfectly true too, not just made up for the purpose of debate.

love

Wobble

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman
    A short time later,and I mean frighteningly short, a JW called on me, with the specific purpose of getting me back in it. Nobody else called,not even a still small voice inside me.
    What do all yous'e make of that. Especially you Christians.

A test?

Coincidence?

Maybe being a JW would be good for you?

Maybe its the truth? - OK - strike that one .

I don't know - I do not fully understand prayer, the essence of God, purpose of life etc. All I know is that people, some people, seem to get very precise answers to prayers.

Because a prayer, perhaps many prayers, do not get answered does not mean that all prayers never get answered.

The Scotsman

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Surely when people say 'Jesus died for me' they actually mean 'God killed Jesus for me' or 'God allowed Jesus to be sacrificed/killed for me'.

Am I missing something?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Thomas, you are missing the part that not only is Jesus NOT dead ( at least not to Christians) but that the "death" of his physical body was a voluntary act of sacrfice.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Sorry - double post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit