20/20

by SnakesInTheTower 74 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

The person that died from AIDS was a man. From what I remember Kelli and the widow of this deceased man have been to the movies, her being the only single woman and Kelly being the only single man in the group, so it was implied it was like a date.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I don't know if Jarka is innocent or guilty...if he truly is a sociopath, it would be nearly impossible to tell if he were lying or not. The circumstantial evidence does not look good...I especially found the presence of the paint chips from the kicked in garage door found on the car Jarka was supposedly driving to Starbucks while the murder was committed to be especially damning. I guess no one will ever know the truth unless he or the "real killer" confesses! (shades of OJ and Scott Peterson).

An interesting side point I have not seen mentioned on here is concerns the 20/20 reporter doing the story. Jim Avila's parents were very devout JW's! I think Avila went his seperate way from the religion when he was in his early 20's, but he definitely was raised as a JW in his early years. Avila took the maiden name of his mother as his "stage" name when he went into journalism. I believe he did this to differentiate himself from his dad who was also a journalist. I was in the same congregation as his parents for many years and his father, Jim Simon, was a very prominent and respected elder. Jim Simon was also a very well know news correspondent and journalist, having interviewed nearly every important world leader of the 70's and 80's. I recall him telling me that he once placed a Bible and Truth book with Anwar Sadat while interviewing him. Jim Simon was one of my favorite elders and friends back in the day, and I was very saddened when he passed away from complications of lifelong diabetes.

I would have thought that Jim Avila might have woven a bit more of his knowledge and experience about JW's and their culture into the interview of Jarka. I believe Avila's mother, brother and sister are still active JW's, so he still has an indirect connection. It might have made for an interesting twist to the interview...

TYA

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I don't know if Jarka is innocent or guilty...if he truly is a sociopath, it would be nearly impossible to tell if he were lying or not.

Let's be clear, Jarka was caught lying many times over.

The very real evidence against Jarka led 12 people who actually heard the evidence (as opposed to the 20/20 we-don't-have-a-story-unless-we-create-doubt 15 minute condensed version) to return a unanimous guilty verdict in only 3.5 hours.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am with SixofNine on the guilty/not-guilty thing. A television news program has to create controversy. The jury saw right through him, deliberating so fast. The tone of the trial and the fake tears, day after day, tell us more than the condensed version.

The JW angle. The story barely mentioned anything about the religion and didn't touch on the elder-at-the-house factor at all. Religion is a factor in this, as the guy was an elder himself. The killing took place despite what any elder did or said during his long visit at an odd time of night. Kelle may have felt that divorce was not an option because of his status in the congregation. People are people, but JW's think that becoming a JW generally prevents such terrible things because they are in spiritual paradise, they know the future, they live simple. JW's need to know that people are people and JW's are no better.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

I thought the detectives did a great job gathering the evidence against Jarka and the prosecutor did an A-1 job too.

These are the things that made me feel he IS guilty and apparently the jury had similiar thoughts;

1. the Mother inlaw immediately blames Jarka. Apparently she knew there was trouble in paradise (no pun intended)

2. the fact that the crime scene was too controlled and cofined to a small area. IF an intruder did this he would have run back down the stairs and out the door he came in. Where the heck was the blood trail then?? Jarka had something ready to put the bloody weapon and clothes in immediately and he simply carried them away and dumped them somewhere.

3. The fact that this guy did not try to hold his dying wife at all after 20 years of marriage. He should of had some blood on him but he didn't because he cleaned it all off himself. And he didn't turn her over to assess the damage because he knew what the damage was and he knew she was already dead.

4. The fact that he searched how to kill someone on the internet and the fact that he took out so much life insurance on a stay at home mother with no income contributing to the family.

There was more but these are the main reasons I feel he is guilty. Look at the lifestyle this guy was trying to keep up with, he wanted the money, his wife was going to leave him anyway according to her mother so he figured he would just take her out , collect the money and start a new life. This guy planned this for a while.

The way he killed that poor women and the savageness of it, I agree with the judge, he is PURE EVIL.

• flipper
    flipper

I feel as many do here that the insurance policy he took out and the computer information on how to kill someone and moving on to a new relationship after your mate dies was VERY incriminating indeed. This guy was definitely a piece of work . He seemed very arrogant to me . He definitely was not used to being asked questions or interrogated - as Leaving WT said - as an elder HE was used to always asking intruding questions to others !

I think that he was just as creepy as Ted Bundy , Scott Peterson , Charles Manson and the other psychopaths we've had to enure watching be brought to justice in our lifetime. Those poor children's lives will be forever changed as the remaining family members try explaining to them what happened to their mom and dad . The children are the REAL victims in all of this- as well as the murdered mother. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Don't get me wrong gang, I think the guy is guilty as hell. I was just making a point about sociopaths...they seem normal and their lies actually become a personal reality as they tell them. I also agree that the 20/20 report was designed to titillate, and not necessarily confuse people with the facts.

Being in law enforcement, I know that the first thing a defense attorney will do is to try and cast dispersion and doubt on the police investigation and try and distance the defendant from the evidence. Though not always the case, most "over kill" crimes against a woman are perpetrated by the husband or boyfriend. The very fact that she was bludgeoned 11 times is indicative of something more than an accidental or incidental killing as a result of a burglary. Most burglars will bail if they find someone in the home rather than confront the resident. Over kill is usually a sign of rage...much more personal than an incidental homicide. No, I am with you guys...this case stinks and he is playing the piety card to try and prove his innocence...and if that doesn't work, blame police incompetence.

Did no one find the Jim Avila/JW connection interesting?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

The only reason 20/20 was involved IMO

purps

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

I was wondering if that was the reason for the failure to mention the elder who came over for "marital counselling" until 4am and then refused to testify. You'd think that would be significant enough to warrant a mention. Sounds to me like it was a "crime of passion". She may have threatened to divorce him and he flipped out. That would explain the 11 blows to her head. A burglar wouldn't need to hit her that many times.

• stillin
    stillin

about the internet searches that the guy did...could the wife have had that post-partum syndrome thing possibly?

I, as apparantly a minority here, hate to see an innocent person shipped off to prison with no hope of parole. It's just that "what if?" thing.

I don't like the guy either, but neither do I feel that all JW's are EVIL. The jury may have seen it that way and simply railroaded the jerk.

Scary to me is the search of the computer (is anybody here noticing?) and the "spin" that could be put on anybody's computer's history.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit