Jehovah's Witnesses---A Cult or Not?

by minimus 160 Replies latest jw friends

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Um, so why are you here and not shunning us, exactly?

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

You are absolutely wrong about that.

Many (if not most) religions do not control their members to the degree that cults do. Many are allowed freedom to have varied beliefs and to differ from the "leadership." And many religions do not coerce family members to stop talking to you if you leave. Many religions do not mind if you are critical of their positions or viewpoints. Cults will stand for none of that.

They certainly had control over me when I chose not to attend anymore.........it is simply just to leave.

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

I am Christlike therefore I do not judge. I am strong enough to withstand anyone elses beliefs and will never sway. In the Kingdom of GOD only the righteous will dwell. And the teaching from the bible will apply 100% in The Kingdom. It is preparing us for out future.....

t.f.d.s.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    They certainly had control over me when I chose not to attend anymore.........it is simply just to leave.

Don't be silly. They obviously do not forcibly stop you from leaving.

They attempt to control this with the threat that your friends and family will shun you. Since JWs are "scared" of the outside world and are constantly told only to associate with other JWs, many have no real friends on the "outside." That makes leaving all the more difficult. This is a perfect example of cult behavior and is not present in many mainstream religions.

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

I am Christlike therefore I do not judge. I am strong enough to withstand anyone elses beliefs and will never sway. In the Kingdom of GOD only the righteous will dwell. And the teachings from the bible will apply 100% in The Kingdom. It is preparing us for our future.....

t.f.d.s.

(edited)

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Ah, that's right. I forgot you aren't a JW.

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

Don't be silly. They obviously do not forcibly stop you from leaving.

They attempt to control this with the threat that your friends and family will shun you. Since JWs are "scared" of the outside world and are constantly told only to associate with other JWs, many have no real friends on the "outside." That makes leaving all the more difficult.

I was being sarcastic
  • drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

And for what it's worth, I believe many things in the Bible make it easy for cults to justify their actions.

• AllTimeJeff
  • AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

You are venturing into exegesis. It says not to become unevenly yoked with unbelievers.

There are 2 broad understandings of the verse

1. Do not marry an "unbeliever"

2. Do not engage in interfaith activities where an uneven yoking of worship will occur (aka blending)

Regardless of ones personal decisions on your interpretation, or the broad ones I mention above, this is not a mandate to avoid association with those of different faiths altogether, or to shun them. It is basically a "do not go into a long term partnership with someone who doesn't believe as you do."

Ironically, Jesus associated with non believers all the time. Thus the difference between Pauline Christianity and the Gospels. (a subject for another day)

My point is, you are grasping at straws. Your verse doesn't mean what you maintain it does.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit