Jehovah's Witnesses---A Cult or Not?

by minimus 160 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I find this enormously interesting since I just finished alot of research for a major paper I'm writing on cults. One thing that sticks in my head was something I read - "One Man's Cult is Another Man's Religion". Another point was made that many sects that started out as cults have become mainstream religions.

That kind of attitude towards cults should only apply when using a "looser" definition of the word. Sometimes people call a religion a cult merely because it is new, strange, or not mainstream. There's really nothing wrong with that type of cult.

What most people think of when talking about cults is the destructive types that use various forms of control to remove individuality from its members, use deception when recruiting, etc.

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

How many of you believe that GOD is going to destroy the world and all that is wicked in Harmageddon? Don't all people believe that? I don't it does not make any sense...........you can follow my cult if you like

What you describe is "COMMON" to all faiths and beliefs.........Mr. Watson

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Beliefs don't make a cult. Actions do.

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

But that doesn't a cult make. Cultish behavior aside, any organization, religious or otherwise, can harm its members. However, if the level of control demanded by the religion is enforced, and the punishment is shunning, dividing of family, then it is a cult.

Shunning is biblically supported......prove that one wrong

GOD tells us not to associate with non-believers. I think I will join HIS cult.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Where does it say not to associate with non believers in the bible?

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

oh, please, please do. Then shun us.

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

Where does it say not to associate with non believers in the bible?

This is too easy give me a minute
  • drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    What you describe is "COMMON" to all faiths and beliefs.........Mr. Watson

You are absolutely wrong about that.

Many (if not most) religions do not control their members to the degree that cults do. Many are allowed freedom to have varied beliefs and to differ from the "leadership." And many religions do not coerce family members to stop talking to you if you leave. Many religions do not mind if you are critical of their positions or viewpoints. Cults will stand for none of that.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Oh wait! I thought you were going to shun us since we are non-believers? You aren't following god's direction! Why, SOM, doesn't that make you a...non-believer?

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

14 Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? (2 Corinthians 6:14)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit