is jesus a god?

by javig 304 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sacolton
    sacolton

Is it FALSE teaching to insert [other] several times in the NWT translation for Colossians 1:17 when there is no OTHER in the Greek or Hebrew text? There's plenty more NWT insertions that aren't in the original texts. How about OBEISANCE instead of WORSHIP? Same Greek word, but the NWT decides that Jesus doesn't get worship (not once), but that same word appears in other places that weren't changed to OBEISANCE. The truth is the Watchtower tries real hard to strip the true identity of Jesus by adding or removing and changing the scriptures to suit their own doctrine.

Jesus once stated during His earthly ministry, “[A]ll should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him” (John 5:23). Sadly, Jehovah’s Witnesses refuse to honor Jesus in the same way they honor God the Father. While on Earth, Jesus was honored on several occasions. His followers worshiped Him. They even worshiped Him after His ascension into heaven (Luke 24:52). Unlike good men and angels in Bible times who rejected worship, Jesus unhesitatingly received glory, honor, and praise from His creation. Truly, such worship is one of the powerful proofs of Jesus’ deity.

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

May you have the eyes of your heart enlightened!

As you, as well!

The verses speak of Jesus and of the Father. They use the same title "Alpha and Omega" for both. If anyone still thinks the

Father is God but Jesus is only "a god" is deceived.

For one... I've never said that my Lord is only "a god." To the contary, I stated that he is NOT "just" a god. The QUESTION, however... for those who apparently missed it (although I can't see why, as it IS the title of the thread)... was... "Is Jesus a god?" The FACT that a god... is a being that is immortal... and my Lord IS IMMORTAL... means, yes, he IS a god.

NOW... is he the MOST High God? No. He is the SON of the MOST High God. HE... is the King of Kings (those who are called to BE kings... and priests)... and the PRINCE... of princes (those spirit beings who are assigned and have dominion over "principalities". - governments and authorties - both in the SPIRIT realm... and in the PHYSICAL realm - Daniel 10:13; Ezekiel 28:13, 14; Luke 4:6 Ephesians 3:10). He is the HOLY in the LIVING "temple" of God. Even the DEMONS know this TRUTH, for one addressed him as such:

"Saying, Let [us] alone; what have we to do with thee, [thou] Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God .” Luke 4:34

Indeed, even Christ HIMSELF refers to HIMSELF as the “Holy One”:

"And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: 'The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one shall shut, who shuts and no one opens.” Revelation 3:7

Whereas the Almighty God… is the MOST Holy One in the “temple", as Revelation 4:8 states:

“And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all round and within, and day and night they never cease to sing, 'HOLY, HOLY, HOLY, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!'"

Hebrews 9:1-7 helps us “see” this truth, as to the TEMPLE of God:

“ Now even the first covenant had regulations for worship and an earthly sanctuary. For a tent was prepared, the outer one, in which were the lampstand and the table and the bread of the Presence; it is called the Holy Place. Behind the second curtain stood a tent called the Holy of Holies (or "Most Holy"), having the golden altar of incense and the ark of the covenant covered on all sides with gold, which contained a golden urn holding the manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant; above it were the cherubim of glory overshadowing the mercy seat. Of these things we cannot now speak in detail. These preparations having thus been made, the priests go continually into the outer tent, performing their ritual duties; but into the second ONLY the high priest goes, and he but once a year, and not without taking blood... which he offers for himself and for the errors of the people.”

Did God offer blood for himself? No. Did Christ? Yes! For his sins? No, he did NOT sin. He offered for himself... and for the ERRORS OF THE PEOPLE. Why? For the SAME reason that he... a man WITHOUT sin... got baptized by John the Baptist... "in a SYMBOL of repentance." He did... JUST so. The High Priest was REQUIRED to offer atonement for himself... BEFORE he could offer it for the errors of the people! Leviticus 9:7, 8; 16:6, 11

As has already been commented on, Jesus was dead and is alive and is mentioned overtly in the very same manner as the Father.

Indeed, HE was dead and is now alive… and is mentioned… in a manner SIMILAR to the Father... but not AS the Father.

It doesn't matter who is speaking, but what and whom they are speaking of.

It may not matter to YOU… but it did to some of US… because some were attributing the words, “Yes, I am coming quickly,” to my Lord. They are not with reference to him, however. They are with reference to the Father… who is also coming… to JUDGE… AFTER our Lord comes… the latter of whom returns to us at the BEGINNING of his 1,000-year co-rule with his chosen ones… and the former, God, who comes… to sit on HIS throne to judge… AFTER THE 1,000 YEARS HAVE ENDED. Daniel 7:9, 10, 13, 14; Revelation 20:11-15

That said, it is Jesus' revelation, through His angel, see the first chapter and the first verse!

Okay, let’s take a look at that… from the RSV (since some of you use that one):

“ The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants what must soon take place; and he made it known by sending his angel to his servant John..."

Also the last chapter and the sixteenth verse, same deal.

The Holy Spirit addressed that previously, perhaps after your post. You might want to jump back and take a look. In the meantime, the Holy Spirit has directed me to direct YOU... to consider the following, found at Hebrews 5:1-11 (here, from the RSV, but any version will do):

" 1 For every high priest chosen from among men is appointed to act on behalf of men in relation to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. 2 He can deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is beset with weakness. 3 Because of this he is bound to offer sacrifice for his own sins as well as for those of the people. 4 Andone does not take the honor upon himself, but he is called by God, just as Aaron was. 5 So also Christ did not exalt himself to be made a high priest, but was appointed by him who said to him, "Thou art my Son, today I have begotten thee"; 6 as he says also in another place, "Thou art a priest for ever, after the order of Melchiz'edek." 7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard for his godly fear. 8 Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered; 9 and being made perfect he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him, 10 being designatedby Goda high priest after the order of Melchiz'edek.

Thus, the Holy Spirit says to YOU…

11 About this we have much to say which is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.” 12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need some one to teach you again the first principles of God's word. You need milk, not solid food…”

I, SA, have shared these truths with you, just as I received them from the Holy Spirit, my Lord and Master, the HOLY One and High Priest of Israel, the Son and Christ of JAH of Armies, who IS the MOST Holy One of Israel, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob... of my Lord... and of myself.

May you hear... and get the SENSE of this very basic TRUTH. May you received ears TO hear (Psalm 40:6)... so that you own hearing ceases to be DULL... as to these and other elementary (first) principles as to the utterances of the MOST Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies... and His Son and Christ, the HOLY One of Israel, my Lord and Master, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH... if you so wish it.

I bid you the greatest of peace.

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

Is it FALSE teaching to insert [other] several times in the NWT translation for Colossians 1:17 when there is no OTHER in the Greek or Hebrew text?

The word from the Spirit is... it depends... on the reason for and motive behind the insertion. If it is to CLARIFY the context... and there is NO deceit involved... there is no error. If it is to CHANGE the context... and one has NOT been directed to do that by the Holy Spirit, then, yes, it is false... unless the context changed was false (in which case, the Holy Spirit would "state"... to those who HEAR him... the CORRECT context). ,In this instance, it is a correction or restoration; however, if the Holy Spirit did NOT so direct, such one should be careful, as they may actually make it even worse

What one must keep in MIND... is that ALL Bible versions have some changes that are simply clarifications... some that are corrections/restorations... and some that are entirely false. Every one of them. NONE of them are totally accurate. Some even contain books that others do not; some have had books and letters removed. NONE... contain ALL of the "holy" writings... OR letters of Paul... OR gospel accounts (there were WAY more than four!)

There's plenty more NWT insertions that aren't in the original texts. How about OBEISANCE instead of WORSHIP?

There certainly ARE. Which is why their NWT Ref. Bible is GREAT! It is invaluable in exposing THEIR false teachings (because there is SO much in the footnotes!!) May I ask... what Bible version do YOU use? I have a point, so it would be great (and much appreciated) if you could let me know, thanks!

Otherwise, I'm off to respond to Lampstand and Javig... and so bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace… and thank you for your kind patience!

There are many personal words and speculation in your research. You are playing a dangerous game by proclaiming a name of God,

who not even his own son Jesus would speak his "name", but apparently you have this authority.

I am sorry for what appears to be “personal” words. I try to write just as I hear the Spirit speaks… and He speaks to me in a manner that I can understand, so perhaps that is what you’re referring to. There is NO speculation, however – there is not point. And I proclaim the name of God because that is the name my Lord gave me… and the name he uses. Indeed, my Lord speaks the name of the MOST Holy One of Israel… and spoke it to our ancient brothers… constantly!! Now, your Bible version may not SHOW that, but I am sure it SHOWS what my Lord himself is recorded to have SAID about that:

"I have manifested thy name to the men whom thou gavest me out of the world; thine they were, and thou gavest them to me, and they have kept thy word.” John 17:6

I made known to them thy name, and I will make it known, that the love with which thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them." John 17:26

Maybe I'm one of those of whom my Lord said he WILL make God's name known??

Every place in the Bible where you point out "JAH" is totally incorrect, every time in scripture it is the Tetragrammaton,

Hmmmmm... Psalm 68:4 doesn't show the Tetragrammaton. There's it uses Strong's Number H3050, which matches the Hebrew ?? (Yahh), and is different from Strong's Number H3068, which matches the Hebrew ???? (Yehovah). And it Psalm 68:4 that tells us God's name, not Exodus 6:3 (but the Spirit gave you that one because you disputed that Moses knew God's name at all).

Otherwise, it is the "Tetragrammaton," which represents four Hebrew consonants, “Yodh, He, Wah, He”… which some translate as “YHVH,” some as “YHWH,” some as “JHVH,” and some as “JHWH.” These also added vowels, so that some ended up with “Yehovah,” some with “Yahweh,” some with “Jehovah”, and some with “Jehowah.” However, when my Lord told me HIS name (in Hebrew)… JAHeShua… and explained how it applied as to Psalm 118:26 (“Blessed be the One coming in the name of [Tetragrammaton])… and that it identified him AS that One… it prepared me for the name of the MOST Holy One of Israel. He, my Lord, said that I already new it and used it (i.e., “hallel u jah,” etc.), so that when I heard the MOST Holy One of Israel say His name to me… “JAH”… with the qualifier “… of Armies”… I had NO problem accepting it. But, I didn’t know initially. I mean, how could I, mere human that I am? I had to put faith in what the Holy Spirit told me.

I didn’t quite understand the whole “Yahweh/Jehovah” thing though… but because it was in my heart, my Lord then explained the spelling: It is “J… H… V… H” (the “yodh” is a “J” and NOT a “Y”… but is PRONOUNCED like the English “Y”)… so that His name is “JaH Veh”… which means… “JAH causes armies (of angels, well, actually “spirits”) to be/come into existence”… or “JAH who breathes armies (of spirits) into existence/being.”

And it is pronounced, in English: “YAH VEH”. “Jah… breathes into existence…” or “The breath of Jah brings into existence…” spirit beings. Angels. That IS His Name… and what it means. I refer to Him as “JAH… of Armies…” because that is what I hear the HOLY SPIRIT call him… when he (the Spirit) speaks of the MOST Holy One of Israel… to me. And it is the Name that I am to "make known" to those to whom the Holy Spirit sends ME.

again going back to what Hebrew's believe to be a sacred name, and I believe this too,

It is INDEED a sacred name! The MOST sacred!

because who are you to know the name of God or even to proclaim it.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE!! WHO am I??? But, again, you’re asking the wrong person, here. Y ou should most probably ask Christ, the Holy Spirit… the One who gave me the name and permission to use it. When I asked… he said it was because I had faith… “the size of a mustard seed.” Who am I to argue with the Holy One of Israel? So, I said, “Well, okay, then.” Although I was truly SADDENED by the knowledge that I was considered one with faith. Because, “Where,” I thought, “In the WORLD is so-and-so, and so-and-so,” and others who I thought had WAY more faith than I did!

So your teachings are blasphemous.

Please… be careful, dear Lampstand. I have not lied to you as to who tells me these things and how it is I have come to know them. It IS the Holy Spirit of God, my Lord, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH. YOUR denial of this truth puts YOU in danger of blaspheming… against that Holy Spirit… which is a grave error. Please… take care… and if you DON’T know… or aren’t sure… ask. ASK that Spirit. But do NOT call his words blasphemy. I beg you.

The Tetragrammaton was made in a way so that it was not written exactly as the name of God would be, again going back to keeping the

name sacred by not writting it or pronouncing it.

Ummmmm… that’s not quite accurate. It was written as it is written… because there were no vowels in the ancient Hebrew language. Nothing was “written”… prior to Joseph going to Egypt (by the way, it was he who wrote the Genesis account, and not Joshua OR Moses). By the time things were being put in writing (starting with the Law Covenant)… the SPELLING of the correct PRONOUNCIATION was… well, lost. Thus, the Hebrews weren’t CERTAIN of the CORRECT pronounciation… and because they didn’t want to get it WRONG… called it “too sacred to utter” and replaced it with a title, “Lord” (Adonai). For this reason, NO vowels were ever actually included… and the name went unuttered.

That is… UNTIL Christ. That was ONE of the reasons he came: to “bear witness to the TRUTH”… about the MOST Holy One of Israel… INCLUDING HIS NAME. Matthew 6:9; John 17:6, 26

And it was never written in anyones name, such as you think, so as to keep God's name SACRED, understood!

You are in error. MANY had the name of the MOST Holy One incorporated into THEIR names. I listed some of them previously.

Again keeping something SACRED is keeping it secret and in reverence, and not spoken or written,

Sorry, but again you are in error. The word “sacred” denotes… in a GOOD way… that which is “sanctified,” “holy”, “clean.” In a BAD way, it meant those things used in idol worship (i.e., “sacred” idols, etc.). Thus, MANY things were “sacred” in the time of the ancient Hebrews… and they weren’t secret or even hidden.

do we need to take out a dictionary for the word SACRED, or shall I ask my 3 year old what that means?

No need. I looked it up. ( And please take care… for your “love” (or lack thereof) is beginning to show)…

The Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible is to be used as a "word reference" and nothing more.

Ummm… not that I don’t use it (I vehemently do!)… but I have to ask, by WHOSE
    “authority” do you make such a statement? Are you saying that Strong’s has authority over the HOLY SPIRIT?? Seriously??

Not to mention, its based on the King James version, which was written and translated in 1611 17th century English, is that how

old your dictionary is now days, I think not. Many words in Hebrew or Greek have more meanings than they do in English, which

English is limited with such meanings (especially in 1611!). Your tapping into a world where English didn't exist.

Which is why I use Strong’s… pretty much exclusively… second only to the direction of the Holy Spirit… and ONLY when I am addressing folks like you (because I have FAITH in the Holy Spirit and what he says… so I don’t NEED Strong’s. It is because YOU do… that I am even directed to it).

You don't flatter me (or anyone here) with your Strong's word referencing,

Wait, you JUST chastised me for NOT using Strong’s…!!! And I am not trying to flatter you… or anyone. What would be the point of that?

which most people here probably all have the book, as well as myself.

I actually use the Internet site. It’s quicker… and I don’t risk tearing the pages of a book. I can just type in a word, phrase, etc., and… voila! Don’t you just LOVE modern technology?

I don't appreciated your condescending way of speaking, such as "dear one".

You’re kidding, right? You have a PROBLEM with me addressing you in a manner expressing brotherly LOVE?? Seriously??!! Hmmmm… well, it is what my Lord uses when HE refers to you and others (“Say to my dear ones…”). I think perhaps this is another one of those things you might want to take up with him…

The first and the last, the Alpha and the Omega...only refers to GOD himself, and no other. John 10:30 (very clear)

John 10:30 is clear (very) that my Lord and my Father are one… just as I am one WITH them. Yet, I am neither the Alpha, the Omega, the First, OR the Last. 1 Corinthians 6:17; Ephesians 2:18

You can put your fancy twist of words in there and speculation all you want...the message is simple

I agree, as to the simplicity of the message, but the word of the Spirit to ME is that it is those YOU follow… who YOU learn from… who YOU put YOUR faith in… who have put the “fancy twist” on words… as well as on the truth. I’m curious: why DO you follow them and not the Holy Spirit?

I like to think of an old saying...If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck...its a duck!

I don’t necessarily agree. I mean, just because it LOOKS like a sheep… doesn’t mean it IS a sheep. It could, in fact, be wolf. Yes? You know… a wolf… in “duck’s” clothing?

Isaiah 44:6-8

YES! Besides the MOST Holy One of Israel… there is NO God! That’s what I’ve been saying, by means of holy spirit! But YOU say there IS another God… Christ. How, then, do YOU reconcile this scripture???

Isaiah 48:12-13

Yes, again! That is because… the SON… had not been SENT, yet! C’mon… you KNOW this!

Exodus 20:3 (in reference to your speculation of "Besides" or "Beside", which ever you like best) Read...Isaiah 12:1-2 (there is no issue with "beside" or "besides" or "apart")

I disagree: the words “beside” and “besides” denote two TOTALLY different things. The first denotes something NEXT to, ADJACENT to… something else. The second denotes something OTHER than… or ALTERNATIVE to. (Hmmmm… maybe you need to get that 3-year-old to break out her dictionary after all…)

Exodus 20:7 (I think this message is clear enough, hmm)

Again, I absolutely agree! And I would NEVER take up the name of my God in vain. Never! It is ALWAYS to His glory and honor that I use it. ALWAYS.

Read them, its not hard to hear the message, its very CLEAR

I totally agree. The word of the Spirit to YOU, however… is that YOUR hearing senses are, in fact, dull. Hebrews 5:11

Please, everyone, let the scripture speak for itself, don't through your personal thoughts into it or speculation,

let it unfold as it does clearly.

Now THAT would be good "counsel" to those who publish the many versions out there. YOU, however, should read JOHN 5:39-44… and try to get the SENSE… of THAT. Indeed, I am directed to quote it for you here, because the likelihood that you will in fact read it is… well, slim. Note, this is from the RSV (but you can look it up in pretty much any other version you wish):

“You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life. I do not receive glory from men. But I know that you have not the love of God within you. I have come in my Father's name, and you do not receive me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive. How can you believe, who receive glory from one another...and do not seek the glory that comes from theonly God?”

Here is a question for you AGuest...who raised Jesus from death? Was is it God or Jesus himself? Surely

only God could do such a thing...what do you think?

What I think... is of NO value. It is what is TRUE... and dear Jon Dough provided a very good verse to that end:

“This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own.

I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father. (John 10:17, 18 NAB)”

Jesus was not talking about some abstract “responsibility” for his resurrection as the Jehovah's Witnesses claim (Reasoning, 424).

The language is unambiguous. He had the “power,” and he exercised it.

Jon Dough is entirely correct. What he DIDN’T provide, however, was the basis for where my Lord GOT the power:

“For just as the FATHER has life in HIMSELF… so HE… has GRANTED ALSO to the SON… to have life… in himself. … I cannot do a SINGLE thing… of my OWN initiative; just as I hear, I judge; and the judgment that I render is righteous because… I seek NOT MY OWN WILL but the will … OF HIM THAT SENT ME.” John 5:26, 30

Exodus 6:3 ...again the Tetragrammaton not your blasphemous name of God, and if you could notice the footnote letter

"beside" it "d" and read below it says... "See note at Exodus 3:15" Exodus 3:15 ...again the Tetragrammaton not your

blasphemous name of God, and if you see the footnote letter "beside" it "c" and read below it says... "The Hebrew for LORD

sounds like and may be derived from the Hebrew for I Am in verse 14."

Well, I don’t disagree with what this says… BUT… I don’t think YOU understand what it says. You might want to go over this with someone who, well, reads… and comprehends… English. Because what you’ve written here, well, now, wait… let’s see what you write next…

Well, this is very strange isn't it? By the way, I actually typed this myself.

Well, it’s not strange to ME… but I can see how it might be strange to YOU… in spite of the fact that you typed it… your very own self.

The Tetragrammaton is not a Hebrew word, it is what we call now days an "Acronym"

Some of you call it that. Others call it other things. But I don’t consider you any more right than I consider them. I only know of One that is right… whose words are ALWAYS true… and so I listen to him. If HE says the name of the MOST Holy One of Israel is “JAH of Armies”… and that what WE know as the “Tetragrammaton” (NOT a term he uses, BTW) is actually “JHVH” and translates to “Jah Veh”… well, I’m going to have to go with that. Because on my own, I don’t know… and I know that YOU certainly don’t know (you won’t even SAY a name), so… I mean… I really don’t know what else to tell you…

Sorry I couldn't respond within the seconds after your post, I actually read and research to give the correct answers.

If I may, may I ask… WHO did you “read”… and “research” to GET your “correct” answers… and what makes him or her more of an authority than you… OR of the Holy Spirit? Just asking.

I bid you the greatest of love and peace, dear Lampstand… and ears to hear the Holy Spirit yourself… as well as that Spirit and the Bride when they say to YOU “Come! Take life’s water”… which water is poured out from the innermost parts of my Lord and Master, the HOLY One of Israel, who is the SON… and Christ... the MOST Holy One of Israel, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, whose name IS… JAH… of Armies… “free!”

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you hav peace!

I need to put on dinner and will be back in a couple/few hours to respond to your questions. In the meantime...

I bid you peace!

Slave of Christ,

SA

• javig
    javig

Jesus as God

Scriptural Fact or Scribal Fantasy?
    Brian J. Wright

SYNOPSIS

In the current scholarly debate, the answer to Jesus’ question, “Who do you say that I am?” has encountered a few stumbling blocks. For example, Jesus never used the term “God” when referring to Himself, none of the synoptic gospels (Matthew, Mark, or Luke) ever explicitly gives the title “God” to Jesus, no sermon in the Book of Acts attributes the title “God” to Jesus, no existing Christian confession(s) of Jesus as “God” exist earlier than the late 50s and, although there are seventeen texts that are considered to be possible “Jesus-God” passages, only four of them appear in the approximately fifty Greek New Testament manuscripts that predate the fourth century. Also, and perhaps the biggest obstacle in ascribing the title “God” to Jesus, the existing New Testament manuscripts differ in all potential passages that explicitly call Jesus “God.” What is at stake, if these stumbling blocks are not removed, is that the traditional and essential Christian doctrine of the divinity of Christ is undermined.

“Who do you say that I am?”

As we turn to the Bible, we expect an explicit answer to Jesus’ question. Most New Testament scholars, at some point, have searched the New Testament for passages that explicitly refer to Jesus as “God.” 1 This may seem like a painless pursuit with plenty of “proof” passages, but several stumbling blocks quickly emerge from it.

First, Jesus never used the term “God” when referring to Himself. Mark 10:18 and 15:34 even record that He differentiates Himself from God (the Father). He similarly differentiates Himself in other statements throughout the other gospels, such as Matthew 19:17, 27:46; Luke 18:19; and John 20:17. 2

Second, none of the synoptic gospels (Matthew, Mark, or Luke) ever explicitly gives the title “God” to Jesus.

Third, no sermon in the Book of Acts attributes the title “God” to Jesus.

Fourth, no existing Christian confession(s) of Jesus as “God” exist earlier than the late 50s. Romans 9:5 probably would be the first, but its punctuation and grammar is uncertain, which casts doubt on whether it qualifies as such a confession. In other words, the absence of systematic punctuation in the earliest transmission of New Testament manuscripts prevents us from definitively solving the grammar of this text. 3

Fifth, although there are seventeen texts that are considered to be possible “Jesus-God” passages, only four of them appear in the approximately fifty Greek New Testament manuscripts that predate the fourth century. The importance of this period in Church history (especially regarding this topic) revolves around the raging Christological debates, leading some scholars to suspect that the Orthodox Church corrupted all or most of the manuscripts in order to make them agree with their own doctrine.

Finally—and arguably the biggest obstacle in ascribing the title “God” to Jesus—the existing New Testament manuscripts differ in all potential passages that explicitly call Jesus “God.” The authors of a recent book, Reinventing Jesus,emphasize this problem by noting, “If a particular verse does not teach the deity of Christ in some of the manuscripts, does this mean that that doctrine is suspect? It would only be suspect if all the verses that affirm Christ’s deity are textually suspect.” 5 Regarding the explicit “Jesus-God” passages, however, that unfortunately is the case. The authors continue, “even then the variants [differences between the manuscripts] would have to be plausible.” This further reveals the importance of this topic.

What is at stake here is that this undermines the traditional and essential Christian doctrine of the divinity of Christ. All three branches of Christianity (Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and Protestantism) confess Jesus as “God,” often pointing to the first ecumenical council that formalized this into a creedal confession concerning Jesus: “True God from true God” (Nicaea, AD 325 6 ).

This ascription of Jesus as “God” appears in some of our earliest writings outside the New Testament. “We must think about Christ as we think about God,” the author of 2 Clement opens his homily. “I bid you farewell always in our God Jesus Christ,” concludes early Christian author Ignatius in his letter to Polycarp. These writers seem to agree that the title “God” significantly contributes to our understanding of who Christ is.

Likewise, G. K. Chesterton, in Orthodoxy, explains, “Orthodox theology has specially insisted that Christ was not a being apart from God and man, like an elf, not yet a being half human and half not, like a centaur, but both things at once and both things thoroughly, very man and very God.” 7

As Paul Barnett, respected classicist and ancient historian, rightly states, “It was Christology that gave birth to Christianity,” therefore, “Christianity is Christology.” 8

Why is this issue important? Several scholars continually challenge the textual authenticity of these passages—leaving people in doubt whether the New Testament ever explicitly calls Jesus “God.” For example, professor and best-selling author Bart Ehrman, in at least three published books and one published lecture series, suggests that the original text does not necessarily teach the deity of Christ. He bases these allegations on alleged textual problems that he attributes to manipulative scribes (those who made copies of the manuscripts). He almost exclusively leans toward the manipulation of these early proto-orthodox scribes in the development of a high Christology in his book The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament.

In the face of these challenges, we too, however, can turn to the Scriptures and their transmission. Close examination will demonstrate that the New Testament actually does call Jesus “God.” 9

“Who do you say that I am?”

As we turn to the Bible, we expect an explicit answer to Jesus’ question. Most New Testament scholars, at some point, have searched the New Testament for passages that explicitly refer to Jesus as “God.” 1 This may seem like a painless pursuit with plenty of “proof” passages, but several stumbling blocks quickly emerge from it.

First, Jesus never used the term “God” when referring to Himself. Mark 10:18 and 15:34 even record that He differentiates Himself from God (the Father). He similarly differentiates Himself in other statements throughout the other gospels, such as Matthew 19:17, 27:46; Luke 18:19; and John 20:17. 2

Second, none of the synoptic gospels (Matthew, Mark, or Luke) ever explicitly gives the title “God” to Jesus.

Third, no sermon in the Book of Acts attributes the title “God” to Jesus.

Fourth, no existing Christian confession(s) of Jesus as “God” exist earlier than the late 50s. Romans 9:5 probably would be the first, but its punctuation and grammar is uncertain, which casts doubt on whether it qualifies as such a confession. In other words, the absence of systematic punctuation in the earliest transmission of New Testament manuscripts prevents us from definitively solving the grammar of this text. 3

Fifth, although there are seventeen texts that are considered to be possible “Jesus-God” passages, only four of them appear in the approximately fifty Greek New Testament manuscripts that predate the fourth century. The importance of this period in Church history (especially regarding this topic) revolves around the raging Christological debates, leading some scholars to suspect that the Orthodox Church corrupted all or most of the manuscripts in order to make them agree with their own doctrine.

Finally—and arguably the biggest obstacle in ascribing the title “God” to Jesus—the existing New Testament manuscripts differ in all potential passages that explicitly call Jesus “God.” The authors of a recent book, Reinventing Jesus,emphasize this problem by noting, “If a particular verse does not teach the deity of Christ in some of the manuscripts, does this mean that that doctrine is suspect? It would only be suspect if all the verses that affirm Christ’s deity are textually suspect.” 5 Regarding the explicit “Jesus-God” passages, however, that unfortunately is the case. The authors continue, “even then the variants [differences between the manuscripts] would have to be plausible.” This further reveals the importance of this topic.

What is at stake here is that this undermines the traditional and essential Christian doctrine of the divinity of Christ. All three branches of Christianity (Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and Protestantism) confess Jesus as “God,” often pointing to the first ecumenical council that formalized this into a creedal confession concerning Jesus: “True God from true God” (Nicaea, AD 325 6 ).

This ascription of Jesus as “God” appears in some of our earliest writings outside the New Testament. “We must think about Christ as we think about God,” the author of 2 Clement opens his homily. “I bid you farewell always in our God Jesus Christ,” concludes early Christian author Ignatius in his letter to Polycarp. These writers seem to agree that the title “God” significantly contributes to our understanding of who Christ is.

Likewise, G. K. Chesterton, in Orthodoxy, explains, “Orthodox theology has specially insisted that Christ was not a being apart from God and man, like an elf, not yet a being half human and half not, like a centaur, but both things at once and both things thoroughly, very man and very God.” 7

As Paul Barnett, respected classicist and ancient historian, rightly states, “It was Christology that gave birth to Christianity,” therefore, “Christianity is Christology.” 8

Why is this issue important? Several scholars continually challenge the textual authenticity of these passages—leaving people in doubt whether the New Testament ever explicitly calls Jesus “God.” For example, professor and best-selling author Bart Ehrman, in at least three published books and one published lecture series, suggests that the original text does not necessarily teach the deity of Christ. He bases these allegations on alleged textual problems that he attributes to manipulative scribes (those who made copies of the manuscripts). He almost exclusively leans toward the manipulation of these early proto-orthodox scribes in the development of a high Christology in his book The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament.

In the face of these challenges, we too, however, can turn to the Scriptures and their transmission. Close examination will demonstrate that the New Testament actually does call Jesus “God.” 9

A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO TEXTUAL CRITICISM

We begin by considering the compilation of the Bible. After a group or person received an original gospel or letter (called an “autograph”), copies were made in order to make them accessible to a wider audience. The apostle Paul commands the Colossian church to distribute his letter to a wider audience in Colossians 4:16 : “And after you have read this letter, have it read to the church of Laodicea; and see that you also read the letter from Laodicea.”

The loss of the original autographs over time is not surprising due to their constant usage and the materials on which they were written (typically the papyrus plant). Unfortunately for us, scribes lacked the “copy and paste” functions current technology offers. They wrote copies by hand, and such copies were inconsistent. Most of the inconsistencies happened by mistake, such as spelling errors or word-order differences, but some changes were intentional. How do we know what they did and why? How can we know for sure what the original autograph said?

Textual criticism is the study and comparison of surviving copies of lost documents in order to determine the exact wording of the original autograph. In this case, it is the study of the surviving copies of the New Testament.

A textual critic, then, is not one who has a “critical attitude” toward the Bible, but rather one who works in the field of determining originals. This task is important because we have none of the original New Testament autographs, and all the copies we do have differ from one another. As a result, we first must determine what the Bible says, before we can determine what the Bible means. It is for this reason that some textual critics now challenge the “Jesus-God” passages.

Though different methods exist for determining what the original said, most textual critics today include both internal and external evidence when deciding on the original text. In other words, they evaluate everything, including where it was geographically written, when it was written, how it was written (e.g., style, context, vocabulary), what type of scribal tendencies are detectable (e.g., faulty eyesight, misspellings, theological manipulations), and so forth. This may seem mechanical, but most scholars working in this discipline would say that it is both an art and a science. 10

Let us now turn to the Scriptures. Each of the following is a potential “Jesus-God” passage that scholars hold in dispute.

John 1:1

Until 1996, when Bart Ehrman first published The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, New Testament scholars agreed unanimously in their textual certainty of the statement in John 1:1 , “and the Word was God” 11 (a verse that appears in at least one manuscript prior to the second century). This scholarly agreement continues today 12 with the exception of Ehrman. In this case, John 1:1 , he remains unpersuaded by the scholarly consensus because of his hesitancy to dismiss a single eighth-century manuscript—a manuscript that has an additional Greek article in front of “God.” 13 This manuscript, then, gives him the “distinct impression” that the Orthodox Church changed the text in order to confirm the full deity of Christ. 14

The Church allegedly changed this after declaring a bishop named Arius heretical for denying the full deity of Christ. The Orthodox Church, then, according to Ehrman, changed this text so that the implicit identification—Jesus as simply divine—would become an explicit one—God Himself.

One problem with Ehrman’s thesis is that Arius never had a problem calling Jesus “God.” In fact, he does so in a letter he wrote to Eusebius, bishop of Nicomedia, in which he wrote, “He [the Son] subsisted before times and ages, full of grace and truth, God, only-begotten, unchangeable.” 15 Ehrman’s orthodox-corruption theory, in this case, remains unjustifiable at its basic level. 16

Further, the difference in this one eighth-century manuscript does not deny the deity of Jesus (with or without the additional Greek article). Most scholars interpret this phrase as, “the Word had the same nature as God.” 17

“Regarding Jesus as merely ‘divine’ but not deity violates the context,” New Testament professor Craig Keener writes in his commentary on the Gospel of John, “identifying him with the Father does the same. For this reason...scholars from across the contemporary theological spectrum recognize that, although Father and Son are distinct in this text, they share deity in the same way.” 18

Attempts to understand the theological motive(s) behind the variantin this one eighth-century manuscript do not change the fact that the text is certain and it explicitly ascribes the title “God” to Jesus: “and the Word was God.”

John 20:28

Next we consider John 20:28 . As world-renowned New Testament scholar N. T. Wright believes, John 20:28 is the fullest confession of faith in the entire Gospel. 19 “My Lord and my God,” cries Thomas upon touching the risen Christ. Even more intriguing is that this confession comes from the lips of “doubting Thomas.”

Now before we assess its textual pedigree, some have argued that Jesus merely allowed this statement in order not to “ruin the moment.” Jesus’ teachings and convictions (here and elsewhere), however, seem to contradict this option. For example, in Matthew 4:10 and Luke 4:8 , He quotes Deuteronomy 6:13 , “You are to worship the Lord your God and serve only Him.”

Does John 20:28 have an untrustworthy textual history? Once again, a single fifth-century manuscript has given Ehrman some textual reflux because it omits a Greek article before “God,” thus changing Thomas’s confession. Assuming Ehrman is correct, however, his argument is backwards. If the variant in this one manuscript maintained the original wording, then the verse has a Greek grammatical construction that requires the application of a rule scholars label Granville Sharp’s Rule. This grammatical rule requires us to understand both “Lord” and “God” in this verse as referring to Jesus. In other words, if Ehrman is correct in going with this one fifth-century manuscript, this verse is actually even more explicit. No matter which manuscript contains the original wording, John 20:28 thus explicitly refers to Jesus as “God.”

Titus 2:13

Titus 2:13 presumably reveals a conceptual unity between “God” and Jesus: “of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.” 20 Much of the debate over this verse congregates around the Greek grammatical construction mentioned earlier and the application of Granville Sharp’s Rule to it. Daniel Wallace in his forthcoming book Granville Sharp’s Canon and Its Kin, concisely explains:

By way of conclusion, we are reminded of A. T. Robertson’s words: “Sharp stands vindicated after all the dust has settled.” As I began this investigation, I assumed that perhaps he was too bold, too premature in his assessment. But the evidence has shown that Robertson was right on the mark, and that Sharp’s canon has been terribly neglected and abused in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. In the least, it ought to be resurrected as a sound principle that has overwhelming validity in all of Greek literature—when properly understood. Consequently, in Titus 2:13 and 2 Pet 1:1 we should at least recognize that, on a grammatical level, a heavy burden of proof rests with the one who wishes to deny that “God and Savior” refers to one person, Jesus Christ. (emphases in original) 21

This issue, however, should not entirely distract us as we look at the textual evidence behind the translation of Titus 2:13 . With that aside, the prior question remains, “Is the textual pedigree certain?” 22 The answer is absolutely, “Yes!” 23 This assessment still has its foes, but most grammarians, like Wallace, state that this text clearly indicates that one person is in view. (The only possible variant in it concerns the order of the last two words: “Jesus Christ” or “Christ Jesus.”) To my knowledge, not one jot or tittle ever has been penned against its textual certainty, making Titus 2:13 an explicit reference to Jesus as “God,” as it reads: “of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.” 24

Hebrews 1:8

Hebrews 1:8 , “but to the Son [he declares], ‘Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, and a righteous scepter is the scepter of your kingdom.’” is another verse that possibly attributes “God” to Jesus. The main textual difference is whether the last word in Greek should read “his” or “your.” 25 The answer will help us determine whether it explicitly calls Jesus “God”:

Option 1 is a direct address, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, and a righteous scepter is the scepter of your kingdom.”

Option 2 makes God the subject, “God is your throne [or, Your throne is God] forever and ever, and a righteous scepter is the scepter of his [i.e. God’s] kingdom.”

Given the internal context, whereas both of these options are grammatically possible, only the first (i.e., direct address) is contextually plausible. It resonates with the central theme of the section and book, which is the exalted Christ. The portions of the quote within this verse that are not in dispute clearly match Psalm 45:6 ; of the portions that are in dispute, only those in option 1 match the Psalm. 26 The author of Hebrews and those of the rest of the New Testament, who stood in the exegetical tradition of the quoted Psalm, surely viewed such texts as Davidic prophecies that escalated, culminated, and thus were fulfilled in Christ. A clear distinction exists between the angels (subordinate, ephemeral, and servants) and Christ (superior, eternal, and deity), which disappears if the second option (i.e., God as subject) is chosen.

External evidence favors the pronoun “your” (in option 1) as having better textual credentials than the pronoun “his” (in option 2). 27 Ehrman nonetheless says, “It is interesting to observe that the same manuscripts that evidence corruption in Hebrews 1:8 do so in John 1:18 as well, one of the other [“Jesus-God”] passages.” 28 This brief statement is correct, but it leaves the reader with a blurred view of the manuscript evidence. Indeed, all the manuscripts Ehrman used in discussing this topic include other “Jesus-God” passages in them. Let’s look at four examples:

1. The fifth-century Western manuscript (D/05)

· Corrupted text according to Ehrman: John 1:1 .

· Text that supports Ehrman’s reading: John 20:28 .

2. The eighth-century Alexandrian manuscript (L/019)

· Corrupted text according to Ehrman: John 20:28 .

· Text that supports Ehrman’s reading: John 1:1 .

3. The fourth-century Alexandrian manuscript (A/01)

· Corrupted texts according to Ehrman: John 1:1 ; 1:18 ; 20:28 .

· Texts that support Ehrman’s reading: Heb. 1:8 ; 2 Pet. 1:1 .

4. The fourth/fifth-century Alexandrian manuscript (W/032)

· Corrupted texts according to Ehrman: John 1:1 ; John 20:28 .

· Text that supports Ehrman’s reading: John 1:18 .

In light of these four examples, which are only a small sampling, no groups would have received a distorted view of the deity of Christ if they received only their manuscript. All of the manuscripts listed above have at least one “Jesus-God” verse that affirms the full deity of Christ. It is not essential, then, that every potential “Jesus-God” passage in every manuscript affirm the same. This evidential conclusion causes another major problem in Ehrman’s overall orthodox-corruption thesis.

In the end, the best evidence in Hebrews 1:8 points to the true textual reading, “but to the Son [he declares], ‘Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, and a righteous scepter is the scepter of your kingdom.’” In other words, there is a high probability that Hebrews 1:8 is another explicit affirmation of Jesus as “God.”

2 Peter 1:1

Second Peter 1:1 is potentially the last New Testament verse for explicitly equating Jesus with “God.” Some manuscripts read “Lord” instead of “God” in verse 1:

“through the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ.”

“through the righteousness of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.”

Those who accept “Lord” as the original reading attempt to justify their conclusion several different ways. First, the phrase “Lord and Savior” occurs much more frequently in 2 Peter (1:11; 2:20; 3:2; 3:18). Second, all New Testament references to righteousness refer to God, not to Christ (except perhaps Phil. 1:11 ). Third, “Lord” maintains the possible parallelism between 1:1 and 1:2, distinguishing God and Jesus. Fourth, a shift to “God” could have been a motivated orthodox corruption to make the text speak explicitly of Jesus as “God.” Fifth, the New Testament rarely attributes “God” to Jesus.

Those who accept “God” as the original reading reverse most of the critiques above while including a few additional ones. First, since “Lord and Savior” is the New Testament norm, a scribe could have changed it to harmonize with his familiarity of other biblical passages. Second, almost all references to righteousness in the New Testament do refer to God, so a scribe may have changed it to agree. Third, “Lord” maintains the alleged parallelism between 1:1 and 1:2 (even though this alleged parallelism would be extremely rare in the New Testament). Fourth, “God” is the harder reading as the opposing critiques correctly reveal (the harder reading is often preferred in the discipline of Textual Criticism, based on the observation that scribes had a tendency to simplify the text). Fifth, when an author desires to distinguish two people, he uses a different Greek construction (e.g., 2 Pet. 1:2 ). Sixth, the external evidence is much better and earlier (not to mention the complete agreement within all major published Greek texts).

It is highly probable, then, that “God” goes back to the original manuscript because it best accounts for all the evidence. If so, this verse explicitly attributes the title “God” to Jesus.

A REASONABLE INFERENCE
    FROM REVIEWED STATEMENTS

No one contests that the New Testament usually reserves the title “God” for the Father. This usage, however, though dominant, is not exclusive. 29 The question, therefore, is not whether Jesus is explicitly called “God” in the New Testament, but how many times He is thus identified and by whom. 30 This debate, then, does not jeopardize Orthodox Christology, since textual criticism demonstrates that Jesus is called God: the title “God” only makes explicit what other Christological titles such as “Lord” and “Son of God” imply. We therefore can have confidence amid these Christological challenges. As Murray Harris, prolific author and expert on the deity of Christ, concludes:

Even if the early Church had never applied the title [“God”] to Jesus, his deity would still be apparent in his being the object of human and angelic worship and of saving faith; the exerciser of exclusively divine functions such as creatorial agency, the forgiveness of sins, and the final judgment; the addressee in petitionary prayer; the possessor of all divine attributes; the bearer of numerous titles used of Yahweh in the Old Testament; and the co-author of divine blessing. Faith in the deity of Christ does not rest on the evidence or validity of a series of “proof-texts” in which Jesus may receive the title [“God”] but on the general testimony of the New Testament corroborated at the bar of personal experience. 31

With at least one text that undoubtedly calls Jesus “God” in every respect ( John 20:28 ), the question whether Jesus is ever called “God” in the New Testament is resolved. 32 [1] This still will not silence the cries of all skeptics, but any other conclusion divorces itself from the textual evidence, internally and externally. In other words, the overwhelming testimony of available ancient manuscripts clearly attests that the claim “Jesus is God” is in fact a scriptural claim. Whether one chooses to believe in Him as such is another matter.

notes

1. I am discussing the origin of the title “God” and not the origin of understanding Jesus as divine. That understanding was early and expressed in various ways. See, among others, C. F. D. Moule, The Origin of Christology (Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press, 1977).

2. It may be true that Jesus never uses the term “God” for Himself, but none of these texts or interpretations are intended to portray a complete New Testament Christology.

3. For more information, see Bruce M. Metzger, ATextual Commentary on the Greek New Testament (New York: United Bible Societies, 2005), 459–62. Cf. Bart Ehrman’s comment, “Nor will I take into account variant modes of punctuation that prove christologically significant, as these cannot be traced back to the period of our concern, when most manuscripts were not punctuated,” Bart D. Ehrman, TheOrthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament, (New York: Oxford University Press, 1996), 31; and Cuthbert Lattey, “The Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus in Romans ix. 5,” [ExpT 35 (1923–24)], 42–43. For the most recent critical discussion see Robert Jewett, Romans (Minneapolis: Fortress, 2007), 555, 566–69.

4. The number fifty only represents Greek New Testament manuscripts and not any of the earlier manuscripts (e.g., Latin, Coptic, and Syriac) or the works of other Christian writers prior to the fourth century (e.g., Clement, Ignatius, and Irenaeus). For more information, see Ed Komoszewski, M. James Sawyer, and Daniel B. Wallace, Reinventing Jesus:What The Da Vinci Code and Other Novel Speculations Don’t Tell You (Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2006), 116.

5. Ibid., 114.

6. F. L. Cross and E. A. Livingstone, The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, 3rd ed. (New York: Oxford University Press, 2005), 1151–52.

7. G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy (San Francisco: Ignatius, 1995), 98.

8. Paul Barnett, The Birth of Christianity: The First Twenty Years (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2005), 8 and 26.

9. For a recent argument for an early high Christology, see Larry W. Hurtado, Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2003).

10. For more information see Bart D. Ehrman, Bruce M. Metzger, The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration, 4th ed. (Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 2005).

11. Unless otherwise noted, all Bible quotations are my own Greek translations.

12. To my knowledge no standard work lists any textual debates on this passage. Neither the United Bible Society 4 nor the Nestle Aland 27 list variants of any kind for John 1:1c . Only three other major published Greek texts even list it in their textual apparatus (Tischendorf, Merk, von Soden), with one-hundred percent scholarly unanimity as to its original form.

13. Another manuscript (W/032) exists that has the additional Greek article before “God,” but since neither Ehrman nor others have used it, to my knowledge, I will not dialogue with it here. For a more thorough textual examination regarding this passage, though, see Matthew P. Morgan, Egregious Regius: Sabellianism or Scribal Blunder in John 1:1c ? (Grand Rapids: Kregel, forthcoming).

14. Ehrman, Orthodox Corruption, 179.

15. William Rusch, The Trinitarian Controversy (Philadelphia: Fortress, 1983), 29–30. For Greek text see Urkunden zur Geschichte des arianischen Streites, ed. H. G. Opitz (Berlin: de Gruyter, 1934). Cf. R. P. C. Hanson, The Search for the Christian Doctrine of God: The Arian Controversy, 318–381 (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2005), 6; Lewis Ayres, Nicaea and its Legacy: An Approach to Fourth-Century Trinitarian Theology (New York: Oxford University Press, 2004), 105–126.

16. As theologian Wayne Grudem states, “Arius taught that God the Son was at one point created by God the Father, and that before that time the Son did not exist, nor did the Holy Spirit, but the Father only. Thus, though the Son is a heavenly being who existed before the rest of creation and who is far greater than all the rest of creation, he is still not equal to the Father in all his attributes—he may even be said to be ‘like the Father’ or ‘similar to the Father’ in his nature, but he cannot be said to be ‘of the same nature’ as the Father.” Wayne Grudem, Systematic Theology (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1994), 243.

17. For surveys of the grammar in this passage, see Wallace 1996: 256–70; Colwell 1933: 12–31; Köstenberger, John: 28–29; Mastin, “Theos in the Christology of John”: 32–51; Harris, Jesus as God: 51–71; Westcott 1975: 8–22; Harner 1973: 75–87.

18. Craig S. Keener, The Gospel of John: A Commentary (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2003), 372–74.

19. N. T. Wright, The Resurrection of the Son of God (Minneapolis: Fortress, 2003), 664.

20. The wording “our great God and Savior,” which is applied to Jesus in this verse, was current among Greek-speaking Christians. See James H. Moulton, “Prolegomena,” vol. 1 of A Grammar of New Testament Greek (Edinburgh: T. and T. Clark, 1906), 84.

21. Daniel B. Wallace, Granville Sharp’s Canon and Its Kin (Bern: Peter Lang, forthcoming).

22. This seemingly backwards approach has not influenced my method or conviction that the text determines the grammar, not the reverse.

23. Cf. Moulton, 1:84; Robertson, 786; Wallace, 270–78, esp. 276; Moule, Idiom 109–10; Blass-Debrunner, §276; A. Brooks, Carlton L. Winbery, Syntax of New Testament Greek (Washington, D.C.: University Press of America, 1979), 76. Further, the majority of critical commentators and exegetes agree with the grammarians.

24. For a grammatical (not textual) treatment against this view, see Gordon Fee, Pauline Christology: An Exegetical-Theological Study (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2007). Cf. Wallace, Granville Sharp’s Canon and Its Kin.

25. Actually, two other variants in this verse exist that do not need further discussion here. The second one in no way affects our question of whether the author explicitly calls Jesus “God” and the first one, according to many textual critics (e.g., Bruce Metzger), would only slightly reduce the difficulty of the last variant if it were to read “of him.” See Bruce Metzger.

26. The phrase, “Your throne, O God,” from option 1, is taken directly from Psalm 45:6 . The phrase “God is your throne” from option 2 of Heb. 1:8 , however, is used nowhere else, to my knowledge. The expression, according to commentator T. K. Cheyne, is not “consistent with the religion of the psalmists.” See T. K. Cheyne, The Book of Psalms, or, The Praises of Israel (London: Kegan Paul, Trench, and Company, 1888), 127.

27. For more information, see G. K. Beale and D. A. Carson, eds. Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2007), 938–39.

28. Ehrman, Orthodox Corruption, 265.

29. I should also note that an argument based on the New Testament’s usage or nonusage of the title “God” for Jesus is different from the claim that the New Testament authors were so embedded with Jewish monotheism that they could not have thought of Jesus as God. Such a claim assumes that the New Testament authors could not reconcile two truths or break away from their prior presuppositions. Even though they may use “contradictory” terminology, they believed in the divinity of Jesus, sometimes even in preexistent categories. Cf. Larry W. Hurtado, How on Earth Did Jesus Become a God? Historical Questions about Earliest Devotion to Jesus (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2005).

30. A conceptual fallacy exists when any scholar rejects every possible text in support of a concept to show that the original author(s) did not support that concept. The answer to this question nevertheless inevitably will boil down to the presuppositions of each scholar. See, for example, Robert H. Stein, Jesus the Messiah: A Survey of the Life of Christ (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1996), 17.

31. Murray J. Harris, “ Titus 2:13 and the Deity of Christ,” in Pauline Studies, ed. Donald A. Hagner and Murray J. Harris (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1980), 271.

32. Theologian A. W. Wainwright makes two additional points. First, he says that many critics have chosen a less natural translation of the Greek because they believe it was psychologically impossible for the writer to have said that Jesus was God. Second, he feels that the argument from inconsistency in usage must be used with care because we are not certain that the writer saw an inconsistency in only occasionally using a title (the rarity of usage to some extent is dependent on the rejection of most of the potential “Jesus-God” passages. By combining only a few of these instances with the others the usage thus is not so rare). His conclusion, therefore, is that just because “God” for Jesus seems rare in the New Testament it should not always be considered improbable. See A. W. Wainwright, “The Confession ‘Jesus as God’ in the New Testament,” Scottish Journal of Theology 10 (1957): 274–99 esp. 277.

• AGuest
    AGuest

That I have not been able to address your previous questions, yet (peace to you!). Unfortunately, life... and another thread called. I had intended to get to it tonight... but I am now exhausted: I have been communing with the Spirit ALL day, today... and it can sometimes take a physical toll. So, I will have to get to it tomorrow, but I appreciate your patience.

As to your last post, I have to say:

1. I do not intend to read it, as

2. It is the opinings of a "scholar"

3. It is VERY long

4. The type is just too small in parts for my "old" eyes, and

5. I always choose the Holy Spirit's voice over earthling man's opinions anyway

Therefore, goodnight, peace to you... and "see" you tomorrow!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

3. It is VERY long

• lampstand
    lampstand

AGuest,

[Unfortunately, your particular Bible version(s) have resituated the word “our” (denoted by the Greek word hemon”) which originally appeared (in the Greek, at least, because Peter’s letter was written in Aramaic) before the word “Savior.” The GREEK… from which your translation is taken, states:

“Prosdechomai makarios elpis kai doxa epiphaneia megas theoskaihemon soter… Iesous Christos… "

which translates as:

“Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great Godandour Saviour… Jesus Christ...”

and NOT “our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ”… for Titus 2:23. The same thing occurs for 2 Peter 1:1. There, the GREEK states:

"Symeon Petros doulos kai apostolos Iesous Christos lagchano isotimos pistis hemin en dikaiosyne theoskaihemon soter… Iesous Christos…”

which translates as:

“Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God andour Saviour… Jesus Christ:”]

Totally incorrect again...you seem to be lost...your referencing to the actual Greek text is false, the Greek scripture reads different from your teachings, every place in actual scripture you quote you flipped the words over as if you are some scolar of translating ancient Greek. It reads...

2 Peter 1:1

simon petros doulos kai apostolos iesou christou tois isotimon hemin lachousin pistin en dikaiosune tou theou hemon kai soteros hemon iesou christou

Your reference to Titus 2:13 and 2 Peter 1:1...incorrect, period!

Your reference to Psalm 68:4

again and again, your reference to actual scripture is false, that word is not there, no letters also, you are inserting just as JW's do, and you are teaching from another strange source, and not the Holy Spirit!

Again, for you can read Galatians 1:6-9...and Exodus 20:7

Maybe read Matthew 23:15

• designs
    designs

As this never ending controversy goes into the 21st century, apparently without letup be sure and do something good for someone else today, a kind act just for someone else or this earth.

Shalom aleichem

• lampstand
    lampstand

There are always two sides to the "controversy" in the Bible...

-There is the side that try's to tell you something different than what is written in the scriptures...(AGuest)

-And there is the side that will tell you what is written, is what it is and nothing more or less.

I'm on the side of the latter, while others here are on the side of the former.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit