is jesus a god?

by javig 304 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chalam
    Chalam

With regards to the "seven Spirits", have a read of these commentaries and see if they help

http://biblecommenter.com/revelation/1-4.htm

All the best,

Stephen

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi, Stephen.

I understand that to mean Both - Father and Son - share a common Spirit and are willing to share that Spirit with any who ask.

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you. NIV

With the greatest of respect and admiration.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, Stephen!

I do love the People's New Testament.

The scholar, Barton W. Johnson, put such loving work into it.

You can "feel" his humility.

Sylvia

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that to mean Both - Father and Son - share a common Spirit and are willing to share that Spirit with any who ask.

I agree!

So some more questions if that's cool?

Do you believe that the Father and the Son are two different persons but one God?

Do you believe that the Holy Spirit is a person rather than an impersonal force?

Blessings,

Stephen

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Do you believe that the Father and the Son are two different persons but one God?

YES!!!

Do you believe that the Holy Spirit is a person rather than an impersonal force?

Hmmm ... How can I put this?

I don't believe the Holy Spirit is a person; then again, I don't believe It is impersonal.

Since Holy Spirit emanates from Father and Son, I believe It reflects their Personalities, and is the energizing, driving Force that draws us to Them.

Blessings,
    Stephen

Thank you.

Sylvia

• minimus
    minimus

Jehovah is a god. So is Satan. Why not Jesus too?

• sacolton
    sacolton

Looking at the attributes of the Spirit we find no difference in His nature, function and communion with the believer than with Jesus. Rom.8:27 He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the spirit is, because he makes intercession for the saints," 1 Cor.2:11: "But the one and the same spirit works all these things dividing to each one as He wills. Acts 8.29: The Spirit spoke to Philip, "Go to that chariot and stay near it." Rev 2-3: "Let him hear what the Spirit says to the Churches" Rev 22.17: The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" If the Spirit is impersonal so is the Bride.

The activities of the Spirit are all descriptions of what persons do. Many groups come to the irrational and illogical conclusion that he is only a force used by the Father to accomplish his purposes. This power the Jehovah’s Witnesses claim is impersonal like an artificial intelligence that will accomplish Gods will in our lives. Romans 8.16: The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. To make the Holy Spirit something other than a personality a being (a force?) This means that we are indwelt with a human non personality. This means we have no inner nature that rules over our body, that all we are is our body just like the evolutionists say.

Paul uses the spirit Gr. pnuema as The masculine pronoun He , giving him identity. The Holy Spirit is portrayed as a personal being with an identity different then both the Father and the Son. He is identified as "I" in Acts 13:2.

As we understand that the nature of the Father and Son and Spirit have always been the same, they are all eternal. They all share in common the same essence, which is God. They also share in the divine name of Yahweh. All the attributes of God that are held in common with the Father and Son are shared also with the Holy Spirit.

He has omnipresence Ps.139:7-10 David writes whether he goes up to heaven or into hell below God is there, he cannot escape his Spirit. He is omnipresent, everywhere since he would dwell in every believer simultaneously.( 3 omnis are described in this passage omnipotence, omnipresence, omniscience all attributes of God). The essence of the Holy Spirit is that he is omniscient- all knowing 1 Cor.2:10-11: "For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God." Only God can comprehend God himself, he knows things of God and things we do not know of ourselves.

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

Hey... thought I'd just chip in with my answer to the question... "is jesus a god?"

Nope, he isn't. Jesus is some dead guy, and, 'a god' is some fictional big brother character made up by superstitious folk.

Glad I could clear that up... :o\

• designs
    designs

sacolton,

How do you quantify the effect with the conceptualization with all of the differences. You observe people living good and productive lives having a variety of understandings about the holy spirit just as you observe people living bad lives while professing different views of the holy spirit, and the same goes for all of the various views of Jesus.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hmmm ... How can I put this?

I don't believe the Holy Spirit is a person; then again, I don't believe It is impersonal.

OK, more questions!

Does a person or spirit speak? Does an impersonal force speak?

Does a person have feelings? Does an impersonal force have feelings?

Does a person have volition (a will)? Does an impersonal force have volition?

Can a person intercede (pray)? Can an impersonal force intercede?

Would you speak of a person using "whom", "he" and such and an impersonal force as "it"?

Since Holy Spirit emanates from Father and Son, I believe It reflects their Personalities, and is the energizing, driving Force that draws us to Them.

In one sense I totally agree. However, by another understanding of the very same statement I totally disagree! Let me explain.

A JW could likely say those words but believe the Holy Spirit is an impersonal "active force".

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit