Other Sheep will start taking the emblems.

by hamsterbait 101 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

A good friend who is now deceased told me the idea was once floated around Bethel circles that were all Witnesses to accept the wine and bread that quite a few problems would go away. To name one or two, the increase of partakers would become a non-issue and who is available for GB appointment would not be captive to whether a man took the bread and wine at last year's memorial.

My recollection is the idea was rained on because it was considered too radical of a change. But things have changed quite a bit since then. It would not surprise me one bit for Watchtower to begin teaching that it would be appropriate for the "great crowd" to do the wine and bread out of respect for Jesus' sacrifice, and that the "annointed" would do the bread and wine for that reason and as recognition of their being "born again." Should this happen I can easily see Watchtower explaining that what the act represents depends on the faith of the individual and not what others read into it. I am sure Watchtower would, at the same time, caution Witnesses not to pry into each person's choice.

I know there are lots of problems with such a change but, as I understand, it has been discussed in previous years, and nothing is beyond Watchtower's preference. If Watchtower decides it wants to make a specific change, it will find a way to rationalize it. Always has. Always will. And, why not? Most everyone else on the planet does the same thing depending on the subject or circumstance. The latter tend to do this in personal ways, though, and not in ways that affect millions upon millions.

Marvin Shilmer

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

Now thats thinking with your Dip Stick Jimmy!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

It just gets them one step closer to being able to pull a 'Jim Jones' some year... lock the doors - everyone partakes this year.

Now... who was assigned to bring the cyanide? Oops - did I say that out loud?

Regards,

Jim TX

• yknot
    yknot

I have been saying this for awhile.....

If they allow for all to partake, it hides the number of those prefessing anointed, gets critics off their backs (only half way if they keep mediation for anointed only) and makes them seem more 'mainstream'.

JW R&F then get to have a 'tradition' of partaking each Nisan 14.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Could they pull this off before next year's memorial?

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

I can just imagine it all being passed in small swish and spit dixie cups, poured from the spout on the box wine. Must all watch for cooties and cost!

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

if I see this, I will partake!

Jaegermeister

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Could they pull this off before next year's memorial?

Mickey..

The WBT$ could pull it off,with thier next Watchtower Article..

WBT$ Doctrine could change in a HeartBeat..

It`s called "New Light"..

Any JW that challanged them,would be in serious trouble..

No JW challanges the WBT$,without Consequenses..

..............................OUTLAW

• blondie
    blondie

I do believe that the stats for partakers are not released until the 2010 Yearbook and around March 2010 in the WT. They used to be released sooner in the WT around 1/15 but that was changed a few years a go.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

If you compare that to the 2/15, 1986 issue of The Watchtower on John 6 you'll notice there is actually nothing new: "eating Jesus' flesh and drinking his blood" was already applied equally to the (prospective) "great crowd" (can we still say that?) and to the "anointed," inasmuch as it is understood figuratively (of "exercising faith"), not ritually (partaking in the Eucharist/Memorial).

Now it may be that digging up this already established but uncomfortable idea (uncomfortable because the wording is so obviously reminiscent of the Eucharist) prepares JWs to the change you are thinking of: making all JWs Memorial partakers. This wouldn't imply giving up the "two hopes" doctrine imo; in fact, it would be more consistent with the practice of one baptism for both "classes". And, besides all the strategical benefits that have already been pointed out (especially, drowning the "new partakers" in numbers), it would be an unexpensive way of offering at least something new to the rank & file. Something of a symbolic and "religious" nature which would not jeopardise the authority structure (the GB's authority is increasingly construed after an autonomous, "neo-apostolic" pattern rather than deriving from a broader "FDS" group). If they want to look like a "mainstream" religion (at least for legal purposes) it's probably the way to go. Wait and see...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit