Do You Really Trust The Police?

by minimus 103 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    They always take care of their own.

Ever see the movie Cop Land with Stallone, De Niro and Harvey Keitel?

Good movie about crooked cops and corruption and how they cover for each other...but there are good cops who will put justice above the supposed brotherhood.

• John Doe
    John Doe

It's easy to critize some one whose job you've never done.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

1. handling accidents, clean up, directing traffic etc.
    2. recovering stolen property
    3. providing security for public events
    4. apprehending shoplifters and other theives
    5. responding to domestic disturbances to protect and insure the peace
    6. helping people who are broke down at the side of the road

You're exceptionally naive if you think any of this is even remotely the priority of any police force. Number 2 is laughable, number 3 is moot--the departments are usually contracted to handle events--number 4 is mostly handled by private security, number 5 is again laughable, especially if you live in the county where any call other than homocide takes them an hour to respond, number 6 is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Two times have I been approached by cops when my ride was broke down. The first one asked if I had a tow coming. I said yes, and he turned around and walked away without another word. The second time, they interrogated me about the fact that it was the middle of the night and I had to leave my vehicle in order to walk a mile down the road, get a gas can, fill it up, and walk back to my van. No help whatsoever, just snooping around to see if I had pot, insulting me directly and using intimidation to test my claim that it was, in fact, my vehicle.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I think Sylvia is the only one here qualified to talk about it.

I'm not an officer; I work in administration, but I've seen some cops do some magnanimous things.

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe

Hey daniel, you ever consider that it just may be you?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

It's easy to critize some one whose job you've never done.

I absolutely agree, but it doesn't mean I don't think the job itself is largely illegitimate.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I think Sylvia is the only one here qualified to talk about it. It's easy to critize some one whose job you've never done. Go separate a drunken husband and wife who want to kill each other and then talk about it.

Wrong. Just because I've never done the job doesn't mean I don't have the right to speak out about wrong conduct and injustices suffered. As for separating spouses who were intent on killing each other, hell, that's my life story.

W

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Hey daniel, you ever consider that it just may be you?

Our perception of reality is certainly an important thing to continually evaluate. Everyone should do so.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Our perception of reality is certainly an important thing to continually evaluate. Everyone should do so.

I'm not talking about merely perception. I'm talking about the self fulfilling prophecy--people most often treat us like we expect them to. Our attitude and interactions shapes the way they treat us.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Go separate a drunken husband and wife who want to kill each other and then talk about it.

I wonder how many domestic disturbance calls result in resolved situations? The protection of women is paramount and should be addressed, but how successfully do local police forces resolve such situations? Do the householders respond to the help they get? Is their behavior and situation really altered?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit