Do You Really Trust The Police?

by minimus 103 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Every cop I've known has gotten out of a speeding ticket or even drunk driving situation because of the "brotherhood".

• yknot
    yknot

Yeppers!

My ex got out of several DUIs for being on the force .

• JWoods
    JWoods

Not police officer per se, but about ten years ago we had a local fire chief badly (and I DO mean badly) injured at a firemen-only "training retreat" (the reader may insert here all-night drinking party) because he had a little fally-down unconsciouse episode and fell down on a Texas Red Ant pile.

Nobody else of the rescue squad noticed. You should have seen the elliptical tragectories of the excuses & explanations for this one.

I guess they are all really just ordinary people with ordinary faults and flaws put into extra-ordinary situations for very low pay.

But still -

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Yeppers!

My ex got out of several DUIs for being on the force .

So what kind of people drive drunk? If a cop is that irresponsible with his own life, and that of others, why the hell should I trust them?

• undercover
    undercover

Do I really trust the police?

No, not completely. But I don't trust any government agency completely.

I do respect them and the job they have to do...up to a point. I've dealt with bad cops and I've dealt with good cops. But I've learned this much...even if the cop isn't a stellar example of law enforcement, you're better off showing him a little respect than demanding your rights or going off on how their not doing their job right. Piss em off and you're only gonna make matters worse. If you have a bad experience, take it to a higher level in the department...and if you take a lawyer with you, you'll get a little more attention.

There are good people that get into the force because they want to make a difference and they want to help people. And it shows in their attitude and how they handle situations and people. I'll defend the good cops that want to be a force for good and help.

The level of training in agencies makes a difference too. If I may be allowed to stereotype the levels of law enforcement in my area:

State highway patrol officers are very highly trained, more like a military style training. They come off as very professional but mean business. They're courteous and helpful, but only to a point.

City cops are easier going, friendly and helpful until pushed into action. They have good training but they're less mililtary like but still professional and courteous.

Sheriff's deputies are good ole boys with beer bellies and bbq sauce stains on their too tight uniforms, serving papers on deadbeat dads until a call for help goes out and they rush to the scene looking to get in on some action. They're basically volunteer firemen with a fast car and a gun.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

One bad apple.

Spoils the whole bunch!!

• JWoods
    JWoods

Unless you toss it out really quick, Purps. Which is exactly the point.

Unfortunately, the thin blue line (good ole boy) tradition resists this all the way.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think I know where that missing pot went!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLkOddgjYuY

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

City cops are easier going, friendly and helpful until pushed into action. They have good training but they're less mililtary like but still professional and courteous.

The attitude of city cops largely depends on the social and political climate of that city. If you have a city council that likes to grandstand about crime stats and appease citizens with superficial "crack-downs" on [insert vice here], then you can get a very tight-assed police force who are pressured by their superiors and either resent what they have to do or revel in the opportunity it affords them to exert their authority.

• blondie
    blondie

The police agencies in this area require a bachelors degree. But then think of all the business executives with their degrees and how trustworthy they are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit