Do You Really Trust The Police?

by minimus 103 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Barney Fifes

• minimus
    minimus

Do we need 2 cops directing traffic on a street that is rarely used in a cemetery?? They get paid details and the union sees to it that they get their officers the most money even when they're not needed.

Cops rarely recover stolen property. You're generally screwed if you think the police will take care of you in that department.

Cops don't apprehend shoplifters. Security does.

AAA helps broken down vehicles. Cops look to see if you've got any outstanding warrants.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Cops rarely recover stolen property. You're generally screwed if you think the police will take care of you in that department.
    Cops don't apprehend shoplifters. Security does.
    AAA helps broken down vehicles. Cops look to see if you've got an outstanding warrants.

From my personal experience: My dad has his truck stolen years ago. Cops recovered it. Two nights ago I witnessed cops taking a shoplifter into custody at the local Wal Mart. Withing the last month, I witnessed a cop in the sweltering heat directing traffic at a busy intersection when the signal was not working, and also directing traffic around a traffic accident a couple weeks ago. About 10 years ago, I was personally offered a ride or assistance after breaking down beside the road. Once, after losing a stock rack out of the back of a truck because I forgot to shut the tail gate, a cop stopped and directed traffic around me until I got it loaded back up.

This stuff happens every day of the year.

• minimus
    minimus

JD, I'm glad you had these pleasant experiences.

People get broken into all the time and rarely get their stuff back.

When you're stuck the cop will check you're license info to see if there's anything about you that's problematic. I've seen people stuck on the roadside and the cops trying to chase down speeders instead.

If your headlight or tailight goes out, you're LUCKY if you don't get a ticket even if you didn't know the light was out!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Hmmm, let's see:

1. I was arrested, beaten, charged, and wrongfully convicted of a crime I didn't commit. I wasn't allowed to make a phone call until after the interrogation and beating.
    2. After being guaranteed anonymity, I provided police with information that led to the arrest and conviction of someone. As soon as he got his conviction, the cop crossed the courtroom floor and disclosed the source of the information to the one convicted.
    3. When my father died in his driveway of a heart attack, the police held his wallet and other items at the station. When I went to pick the items up the next day there was over $300 in cash missing from his wallet. They left us the loose change.

And there are other incidents as well, so no, I don't trust any cop as far as I can spit.

W

• John Doe
    John Doe
    If your headlight or tailight goes out, you're LUCKY if you don't get a ticket even if you didn't know the light was out!

I've been stopped a half dozen times over the years for headlight or tail lights out. I've never gotten a ticket for it, always a warning.

• minimus
    minimus

I think some cops are crooked. Some are straight laced. Most are right in between.

They always take care of their own.

• villabolo
    villabolo

1. handling accidents, clean up, directing traffic etc. Where I live Traffic Control Officers do most of that job.
    2. recovering stolen property And, like the example I gave, keeping some of it.
    3. providing security for public events Private security can do that as well.
    4. apprehending shoplifters and other theives From what I've seen, private security is the first to apprehend a shoplifter though I agree that other thieves would require a police force.
    5. responding to domestic disturbances to protect and insure the peace What did Tribal people do for millenia before police were invented?
    6. helping people who are broke down at the side of the road You can have Traffic Control Officers do the same thing.

This is not an argument against the existence of police per se but it does reduce the numbers needed.

villabolo

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

If nothing else, they keep the donut shops well protected.

W

• JeffT
    JeffT

I think Sylvia is the only one here qualified to talk about it. It's easy to critize some one whose job you've never done. Go separate a drunken husband and wife who want to kill each other and then talk about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit