Do You Really Trust The Police?

by minimus 103 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

There are many good well meaning cops and a lot that suck.

• AdaMakawee
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

AdaMakawee

If you look at the photos of the seat the man was sitting in and all the bullet holes to the back of the seat.

OMG, what happened to shooting out the tires of a car?

This is what I am talking about,

you never know what kind of cop you will get,

one that will de-escalate, or make the entire situation much worse.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

Ok, I was married to a cop for 15 years. I heard all the bragging. I could tell you stories, maybe I will sometime. He really did want to make a difference, as well as did others I knew. Problem was, after "x" number of years they get cynical, happens to the best of them. Pretty soon they don't trust anyone. And I mean anyone. They think everyone lies. They don't trust that the system will work for them to keep someone they arrest behind bars, so they may (not all) want to assist the perception or make the case tighter with a little help.

Then there are the guys (and some women) who love the chase, love the high from fighting, love the power. We used to call it the Wyatt Earp syndrom. We knew one guy, short guy, really arrogant cop, on his off duty time he walked around with his weapon tucked into the front of his pants behind the belt. We used to pray it would go off.

My ex was not and is not a dirty cop. What he was is an abusive bastard. Controlling. Want to know why cops are on the top 10 list of professions prone to divorce? There is a reason for it. Namely all of what I mentioned above. During the time we were married I was a witness. The elders used to just about lick his boots trying to kiss up and recruit him. He wasn't buying. Made it a bit harder when I would go to them and tell them about the abuse. They reminded me how tough single mothers have it and that I would still be legally bound. Once after telling my elder dad about the abuse he asked me what I did to deserve it.

So, I don't trust cops as far as I can throw them. Because they are not very well educated, they work long hours, all they have to do is say they are afraid and they are cleared from deadly violence no matter if you are a 70 year old woman or a 16 year old kid. And for every one that is still wet behind the ears and wants to make a difference there are 3 or more that are on a power trip and like kicking kids and small dogs.

Ada

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I agree with Deputy Dawg...takes one to know one. With that said, there are those in the profession that are bullies and unprofessional. The great majority of those I have worked with our honest, hardworking folks that want to do a good job. Unfortunately, things can happen quickly and the great majority of time the decisions are sound. It's those rare times that the wrong choice is made that the headlines blare and the Monday morning quarterbacks come out. Just as there are "bad" folks in every profession, cops are not different. They certainly can do something that no one else can, and that is to take away your freedom...that is why it is so painful when power is abused or decisions aren't sound. I also say, "walk a mile in their shoes"...it might be enlightening. Police work requires split second decisions...you rarely have the luxury of analyzing and consulting with others before a decision is made. That fact makes it different from most other professions.

What do those of you who are extremely critical of the police suggest to improve things without compromising public safety? Would you disarm police?...prohibit vehicle pursuits?...do away with going "hands on" with violators? It is not as simple as it seems when you think about it.

• dissed
    dissed

I think the power trip that Ada mentioned is where they need help.

Back to school training for vets and then more evaluation?

When my brother first started he was very predudiced because of poor training by his partner. He thought nothing of being abusive, but changed with more training.

In his dept he said the training is so good now that the old bad stuff was eventually weeded out.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I don't really trust any member of government. However, I do believe that most cops are honest and hard working. I have never had a bad experience with cops in my life, and I am Latino. However, I must point out that I do not shave my head, nor do I wear pressed Dickies khakie shorts that come to my ankles with knee high white tube socks and a plaid Pendleton with the top three buttons fastened, and a pressed "wife beater" a-shirt und the Pendleton. Further, when I have been pulled over by either LAPD, LA County Sheriff or CHP, I have always been respectful, and cooperative, the reason is simple, I want to fight any tickects, and I don't wnat to do anything that will cause that cop to remember me. The less he remembers about me, the better it is when I go to trial over a ticket.

• dissed
    dissed

xjw4evr

My daughters boyfriend twice in Aug. coming to see her was pulled over and deported to Mexico. His father had to go to Phx holding and prove he was legal.

My daughter says the cops are predudice, maybe so. But if you saw his car, you would see why he gets the attention. A Suburban, dropped low, with gizmos attached. He really is a nice kid, but might be inviting trouble with his car looks. He had no infractions when they pulled him over.

In both cases, the cops refused to believe him, even though his ID was corrected by the second stop.

We plan as a family to enroll in our local Citizen Police course this fall. He won't join, he's still mad. Hoping to help us get to know them better.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

I do not like cops, had a very bad experience when I was very young, maybe 5 years old.

You know that everyone that would know says that the cops always have the best pot.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

What I would suggest? Lots of things. First, a minumum requirement of a Bachelor's degree with a minor in Psychology, mandatory - abnormal psychology. Secondly, lengthen and strengthen the police academy to add a course on the mentally ill and homeless. I'd also make a requirement for continuing education credits like other professions have. These to include use of deadly force, psychological issues, and stress reduction. I would make it mandatory for police forces to have a citizen's advisory board to be included in every internal investigation.

These people have control over our life and death, and make decisions requiring the use of deadly force frequently based on their "gut" feeling. They should be highly skilled, not thrill jockeys.

Ada

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit