How many of you knew about the"Jesus is not your Mediator" teaching when you were JWs??

by Lady Liberty 183 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

As a jw, i knew about it. The way your wife now sees it is about how i saw it. The gb are the mediators for jws. I also knew that the wt said that jesus is still the priest for all. Since priests mediated, it doesn't make sense.

S

• blondie
    blondie

I found that this teaching created a great deal of cognitive dissonance in many jws. Which is why is it rarely discussed. Another teaching that creates the same dissonance is the recognization that all non-jws who are not minors with one baptized jw parent, will be destroyed forever at Armageddon. jws dance around this one too.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    Another teaching that creates the same dissonance is the recognization that all non-jws who are not minors with one baptized jw parent, will be destroyed forever at Armageddon. jws dance around this one too.

Could you elaborate on this please? I seem a little confused on this one. Is this scenario right:

My daughter, who is just my daughter and not a witness nor a Christian in a sense that since she is only 3 is not of the age to make such a decision, grows up and chooses not to be a witness (or maybe not even a Christian for that matter, who knows). However, assuming my wife makes her goal of becoming baptized, my daughter will have at least one JW parent. My daughter (and I) will be destroyed at armageddon? Is this right?

I'm confused here.

• Frank75
    Frank75

No need to be confused as the JW view is Hogwash.

It is just being pointed out that just as with the mediator thing, most Witlesses just "don't go there" when it comes to a belief that says a merciful god will destroy children who's only sin is being born to a family not in the JW cult!

There are a host of "don't go there" beliefs, but Blondie was kind enough to only point out the one.

Frank75

• carla
    carla

marking and bttt

• designs
    designs

It really should be discussed prior to baptism and be part of the baptism questions because it is such a defining part of the religious traditions surrounding the Memorial and Church Authority.

It is similar to Lutherans and Catholics and some traditional Presbyterian branches practicing closed communion.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I was not aware of this when I studied over 30 years ago. I was a child and a teen during those years and don't recall this teaching. A lot of what they taught I had difficulty with... both accepting their interpretation of scripture as well as connecting with it personally.

Funny... 1979 was a pivotal year for me. Monty Phyton's "Life Of Brian" was released and it was around that time I knew I couldn't be a JW due to their subjugation of women stance. THIS I definitely connected with. And there was NO WAY I was doing that.

It is only recently that I came to understand that they feel their 'annointed' are the mediator. Isn't this blasphemous? I wonder how many JWs actually know this.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I didn't hear about this until later years. They managed to keep this rather quiet. I was on the way out mentally and had other issues and this was just the icing on the cake. Just the thought of any group of persons presuming to put themselves between mankind and Jesus just makes me laugh. I never accepted any person or entity as being in this position.

This is another one of the bait and switch teachings that if I had known about I would NEVER have joined the religion in the first place.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

This thread makes me wonder how many JW's are aware that they make their baptizmal vows to an organization and not according to Jesus's proclamation in Matthew ?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Sure did. If you buy the whole "Bride Class" its easy to do. Now I could care less if he mediates for the air traffic controllers. W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit