How many of you knew about the"Jesus is not your Mediator" teaching when you were JWs??

by Lady Liberty 183 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Hi everyone...

Just curious how many of you knew when you were active, about the Societys official teaching regarding Jesus the Mediator. I was floored to find in my research, that they teach jesus is the Mediator for the 144,000 ONLY. And it is only by our association with them that we might have salvation.

I don't know about you guys but I was blown away when I learned they taught this. As a very active JW and raised in the Borg, I had always believed that Jesus was my personal Mediator. How many of you thought the same thing??

Of course they like to play on words and say, "Ah..but though Jesus is not your Mediator he is your High Priest."

Was not the High Priest the "Mediator" between God and his people until Jesus arrived becoming the "Grand High Priest", our Mediator??

I wonder how many JWs would be shocked to learn this is an official teaching of the Borgs??

I will post the article in a minute when I pull it up.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I didn't know it.

Reading the NT without the blinders really upset me. I quickly realized that IF I wanted to be a Christian, I would probably need a Mediator.

-LWT

• Will Power
    Will Power

Good question, I'm interested in replies as well.

Here is my experience.

I am not a jW but asked one once. They said "He IS SO!"

I said - well thats not what they teach

- IT IS SO!- I know that for sure from the bible.

next thing I hear - they've asked an elder and have changed their belief - Now they have a "better" understanding

WTF? whatever the org says goes.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Here it is:

From the Watchtower- 1979 April 1st issue page 31, under qustions from the readers.)

QuestionsfromReaders

IsJesusthe"mediator"onlyforanointedChristians?

The term "mediator" occurs just six times in the Christian Greek Scriptures and Scripturally is always used regarding a formal covenant.

Moses was the "mediator" of the Law covenant made between God and the nation of Israel. (Gal. 3:19, 20) Christ, though, is the "mediator of a new covenant" between Jehovah and spiritual Israel, the "Israel of God" that will serve as kings and priests in heaven with Jesus. (Heb. 8:6; 9:15; 12:24; Gal. 6:16) At a time when God was selecting those to be taken into that new covenant, the apostle Paul wrote that Christ was the "one mediator between God and men." (1 Tim. 2:5) Reasonably Paul was here using the word "mediator" in the same way he did the other five times, which occurred before the writing of 1 Timothy 2:5, referring to those then being taken into the new covenant for which Christ is "mediator." So in this strict Biblical sense Jesus is the "mediator" only for anointed Christians.

The new covenant will terminate with the glorification of the remnant who are today in that covenant mediated by Christ. The "great crowd" of "other sheep" that is forming today is not in that new covenant. However, by their associating with the "little flock" of those yet in that covenant they come under benefits that flow from that new covenant. During the millennium Jesus Christ will be their king, high priest and judge. For more detailed information, see AidtoBibleUnderstanding, pages 1129 and 1130 under "Mediator"; also God’s"EternalPurpose"NowTriumphingforMan’sGood, page 160, paragraph 10; also TheWatchtower issues of February 15, 1966, pages 105 through 123; November 15, 1972, pages 685 and 686, under the subheading "Leading the Way to a New Covenant"; and April 1, 1973, pages 198 and 199, under the subheading "The New Covenant."

• oompa
    oompa

lady...i hate to admit it as a fouth gen with a zillion elders leading my way......but damm.....never even thought about it.......i never had a frikkin mediator in real life either so never really thought about it.......nor does it bother me now.......i never felt my prayers were gonna be answered anyway, and none were!!......

now changing the frikkin bible without tellin me!!!...........that i can understand!!!.........to each his own girl.........oompa

and HIGH PRIEST??......i am seeing blood letting of sheep and bulls being smoked on the grill......

the whole thing is just freakydeaky weird.....imho

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Crazy isn't it!!

When I told my mother in law about this she was flabbergasted, she didn't believe me until I told her about this article and told her to look it up for herself. Before she looked it up she said there was no way she would ever believe Jesus wasn't her personal Mediator, not matter what anyone told her...she even told me, " the Bible says he is my Mediator"..I said, " I know, but that is not the Watchtower teaching."

So sure enough she looked it up, and to my shock she said "Well, it does indeed say that, but as long as were in association with the 144,000 what does it really matter??"

I was floored! I said, "Well it may not matter to you, but it DEFINATELY matters to me that what is being taught is not from God's word! And that matters a whole LOT to me!!

Trying to them is like talking to a brick wall!! They are SO BRAINWASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Casper
    Casper

I became a witness in 1984, and I had no idea of that teaching until the late '90s.

I was shocked !! How could I have not known that, or was I so blinded I just didn't see it ? I do feel if they had told me that while studying... I would have said "No Thank You".

It was the beginning of the end for me. Seriously.

Cas

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I didn't know.

• cattails
    cattails

I didn't know this was the official teaching until I read it from Ray Franz's book.

It got me pretty upset and felt cheated by the WT.

Jesus says one thing and the WT says it ain't so.

Who is one to believe, the Bible or the WT?

My choice is for the Bible, not the WT.

• oompa
    oompa

maybe born ins just dont appreciate it mean a lot to others?......i cant seem to.........oomps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit