Are we equal...?

by DannyBear 118 Replies latest jw friends

• zerubberballs
    zerubberballs

Dannybear,

You are brilliant .. like a bright star shining in the east pointing the way to the birth of a new era. lol.

Your opening paragraphs were 100% spot on and I'm going back to enjoy this thread. It's very refreshing to read such clearsighted logic. (I was tempted to start my own "respect your Elders" thread but this is much better.)

big girlie (((HUG))) lol. unclefluffybruce

===

Alan .. I declare Dannyboy's initial premise correct and his chain of reasoning sound. There are those here who use the term "bite the hand that feeds them" in reference to 'the hardworking apostates'. One such fruit loop tossed it at me the other day before spitting a barrage of bile and running away saying i was unworthy of conversing with. lol.

you're a very silly man .. like a dog chasing it's tail while barking up the wrong tree (yeah like you don't understand a word I'm saying again)

You're good at tilting at an undefended Watchtower Alan but know sweet fanny adams about handling real people.

unclebruce

• Prisca
    Prisca

ROTFLOL @ "likeable simpleton".... I'll have to tell my employer that one!

LOLOLOLOL...

• Prisca
    Prisca

BTW AlanF, don't take my non-reply to your comments to me as anything but a disinterest in furthering any discussion with you.

If you can't take a bit of constructive criticism, then your emotional intelligence is sadly lacking.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Alright, Tyydyy, you're rather persistent, so I'll respond:

: You ask for proof again? How many times do you have to be shown?

You have given no proof of anything. You've quoted a couple of remarks out of context and then, in true Watchtower fashion, attempted to smear me. Why should I respond to a simple smear that is so transparently obvious?

: I have, at least twice, quoted your remark about stupid people biting the hand that feeds them. You chose to call me names instead of defending this fact.

A lie. I never responded to your posts about this at all. My remarks about your stupidity were in regard to other posts.

: I'm getting tired of going back to find those words of yours that show your elitist attitude.

Be tired no more. See below.

: It should be proof enough that you resort to name calling when someone disagrees with you instead of using logical reasoning.

Not at all. I nearly always use logical reasoning first, and only when that fails might I resort to name calling. However, certain posters are known for their inability to reason logically, and so it's useless to try using reasoning with them again.

Now here come the out-of-context quotes:

:: However, supporting dogs who bite the hands that feed them is stupid.
    :: Have any of you mental giants actually accomplished anything besides patting heads?

: Edited to include quote

Good choice, tyydyy!

Now let's look at the entire context of these quotes, available in this thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=17273&site=3&page=1 .

IslandWoman started things off with this nasty insinuation:

: That same prejudice and pre-programing is going on among the upper class of xjws. Believe me when I tell you that the general "brotherhood" posting here is regarded as lower class, not worthy of notice or regard by the upper class xjws.

As Hillary Step and others have pointed out, we've been over this ground with IslandWoman before. Never in those earlier threads did anyone come up with any justification for her insinuations. Thus, her she was repeating an already-demolished lie. What lie? That some on this board regard themselves as "upperclass xjws" and regard others as "lowerclass xjws".

It's true that some people regard others as morons, but that is irrelevant to IslandWoman's claims.

I took IW to task, as Hillary Step had done in an earlier thread, for repeating this lie. In my response, I mentioned her beating up on "the finest people on this board", among which I specifically included Hillary Step and Maximus because they have been the direct objects of her attacks. After that, Xena decided to jump in to support IW's attacks with more dirty insinuations. In other words, she uncritically accepted IW's lies. To show that turnabout is fair play, I responded to Xena with my own insinuations about her intelligence, but also gave her the opportunity to prove me wrong by asking her to justify her claims by explaining her reasoning. Instead of responding with reasoning, she came back with snide remarks. I responded that she was obviously incapable of reasoned discussion, based on her remarks up to that point. Then several posters, not known for their substantive posts, jumped in and attacked me with their usual complete lack of facts and showing zero ability to understand what they read. These included refiners fire, OUTLAW, Xena, zerubberballs, Prisca, and DannyBear.

I responded with some rather clear insinuations:

:: As I expected, those who continually make stupid remarks continue making stupid remarks. At least they have stability.
    Not a single one of you morons (you know who you are) has the mental capacity actually to explain what you mean. All you can do is make dark intimations. You learned that technique well from The Watchtower. You have much yet to unlearn.

Note that I castigated all of them for making "dark intimations" without backing them up. To date, we have seen not a single poster come up with anything more.

After that, I made two extremely general statements:

:: Providing emotional support for those who need it is absolutely necessary. However, supporting dogs who bite the hands that feed them is stupid.

Is anyone so stupid as to disagree with these general statements? Is anyone so stupid as to think that all of us ex-JWs have not learned a great deal from great writers and exposers of the Watchtower Society such as Ray Franz, James Penton, Edmund Gruss, Randy Watters, and so many more?

I also had in mind specifically Hillary Step and Maximus, who have done a great deal behind the scenes. People don't know much about it because they neither toot their own horns nor can their efforts be revealed without harm to others. Why did I have them in mind? Because they are the ones that IslandWoman attacked.

Now, have any of the people mentioned above, who obviously can argue only by insinuation, done anything publicly or behind the scenes to expose Watchtower corruption, or to effect change that would benefit the communities of JWs and ex-JWs alike? Not so far as I can see. Nor have any of them claimed different. Knowing these things, I said:

:: Have any of you mental giants actually accomplished anything besides patting heads? Have you caused the Watchtower Society to change its ways? Not at all. They just laugh at your pain.

:: On the other hand, a number of people on this forum actually accomplish a great deal behind the scenes. They've forced Watchtower to make changes, and they're forcing a lot more changes. Because of it, some of you might even be reunited with former loved ones or friends. Not that you have the capacity to care.

Now, tyydyy, given my words in context, do you have any objection to them? If so, explain yourself. And also explain why you quoted my words out of context.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

Prisca, can you say, "Pot, kettle, black"?

AlanF

• Prisca
    Prisca

Alan,

Looked in a mirror lately?

• Andee
    Andee

Hello everyone,

Been watching all of the carnage on here, and several other threads, and decided to take a deep breath and offer my view on this topic. The following quote inspired me to throw my hat into the ring.

Yes, we are all equals here as human beings. We are NOT equals in the amount of work we have put forth among the exJW community. Some have done more than others. Like men digging a ditch, while some work hard and others stand around and talk, although they are all equal as humans, they are not all equal in getting credit for digging the ditch.

Interesting analogy. I suppose it is what an individual values as useful information. By this comparison, I am most definitely a “talker”. I accept this description based what I post on this board most of the time, especially when my posts are held up to those that have carried the torch and illuminated much of the dirty underbelly of the WTS. I have been a ditch digger in other areas of my life and I know it can bring great personal satisfaction and meaning to ones life. It can also be a very thankless and dirty job. So many reap the benefits without so much as expressing any appreciation for the hard work done. Of course, am not privy to the reasons many of the more “scholarly” posters do what they do. I am only speaking from my own personal experiences.

So, I offer my random thoughts on this topic.

”But he’s (she’s) really a nice guy (gal) in person.

Fact is, yes, most of us base our opinions and get our impressions of other posters based on what is written on this board. Whether someone is kind and personable face to face, or in a social setting, is, in my opinion, irrelevant. Most of us will never meet each other or even talk on the phone, for that matter. In this medium, our POSTS do speak for who we are and that, my friends, is just how we are judged. Granted, many individuals go many years back. There are many personal bonds and old battles that I do not have knowledge of. Most of the time, I think it’s better that way.

The Queen Mother of dirty words

I wrote previously of being “judged”. From what I have read, that is one of the worse things to be accused of in the EX-JW world. It is human nature to judge. We all judge people, situations, and, on here, POSTS and POSTERS. That is not necessarily a bad thing. I will admit, I do it all the time. Being “judgemental” is viewed as a particulary negative trait to have here. Well, folks, I plead guilty to it. After observing some of the attacks on here, I have JUDGED some posters not worthy of my respect. That is my right and privilege. It is also everyone elses. Do I express that opinion to that individual? Not usually. It’s just not worth my energy. It’s like turning the TV channel when a program offends me. Their posts are just not read by me, anymore. Others have the same right to feel the same about me and to act in the same manner.

To be equal or not equal?

I suppose whether one is equal, or not, is how we view ourselves, especially in relation to others. This applies to “real” life and in this little cyber community of ours. This seems to be an extremely sensitive subject for many EX-JWs. I have read so many accounts of people on here that express their frustration is feeling not worthy and never “doing enough”. There is always more that can be done. Jehovah loves you and all, but if you could just do a bit, or a lot, more. I think the matter of being “equal”, or not, to another individual is how one defines the word itself. I, myself, have always had a problem with how the word “successful” is used. Society defines that as having material status. Well, by that definition, I am not successful. I also happen to reject that definition. My life is full of meaning and purpose, and to me, THAT is success. I’m I equal to others here? In my opinion? Yes. In the eyes of others? Know what? I don’t give a damn!

Hardcore WTS research VS. a kind word(s) and a hug.

Both of these actions have equal value in my opinion. I, personally, have benefited greatly from, what I can imagine to be, extremely exhaustive and time consuming research. I have expressed my appreciation and admiration when something written has particularly touched me. Generally, I do this privately by email. I have also reaped the benefits of a loving gesture. Be it a kind word or a cyber hug. They give me the warm fuzzies, and know what? I like that! Yes, the research is important, but so are the individuals that help hold people together once the other shoe has dropped.

The low blows, the high blows, and everything else in between

Being here on this forum the last 5 months has shown me the best of human nature and , unfortunately, some of the worse. Acts of kindness and generosity that are better than any Hollywood movie ending. Hilarity so original that I nearly fall out of my chair, laughing. Personal revelations that touch me in such a way, that I am never the same again. I have also witnessed behavior that makes me question the sanity of the poster. Vicious verbal insults and attacks that make me sick to my stomach. Personal information expressed in confidence, revealed to deliberately humiliate and embarrass.

So, now what?

Guess what? I don’t have a definitive answer. Simon amazes me with his patience. For the most part, I like this place. Some outstanding individuals hang out here. The serious posters and the fluff posters are just going to have to find a way to co-exist. How do we do that? I’ll make one suggestion. As the words here have tremendous power to heal, they also have the devastating power to crush. Try and remember that, huh? In the meantime, I will do what I have learned to do so far; take the best and leave the rest.

Andee

• Mulan
    Mulan

I only read the first page of this thread, and am disturbed by it. I consider both AlanF and DannyBear to be friends of mine. I have met Alan, but not Danny, but we have emailed quite a bit, and I have gotten to know him.

I respect both of you and wish you weren't doing this name calling. It made me feel uncomfortable, just reading it. So KNOCK IT OFF!!!

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• AlanF
    AlanF

Alright, DannyBear, I'm happy to engage you on this:

: Alan I do believe, just simply from your choice of Dave as a friend, (not being condescending) you can't possibly be as bad a character, as I seem to invision or portray. So if you will, please take this as a piece offering. I will try and do better, with my facts and assertions.

Fair enough. And if Dave thinks you're ok, I'll accept that.

: But please understand, Iam not a college graduate, Iam sort of well self educated. So what you presume to be normal fare in the written world, is something Iam still trying to master.

Ok. You're actually a pretty bright guy, I can see that. I say this with all honesty: it's a real pity that so many bright JWs never went to college. I happened to have the luck to have a non-JW father-in-law who pushed me a bit, and to have had the right circumstances when I was not too old to go. It was the best thing I ever did. It's not for everyone, but some friends who have gone even when they were pushing 60 have been handsomely rewarded.

: If you can extend me that, I will also return the favor.

Fair enough.

: I will never appologize for defending or supporting anyone, that is abused or talked down to, that is the only qualification to my above.

I understand that. Similarly, I will never back off from defending my friends who I think are unjustly attacked.

You're quite right, I'm more than honored to have Dave as a friend. He's actually taught me a lot, and I'm learning more from him all the time.

AlanF

• waiting
    waiting

wow andee,

out of the mouth of babes.....and that is a JOKE......and that is ok that I notice that OTHERS call you a babe.......joke.joke.joke.

In reality, fine statement - much like Dave's, wherein he didn't take sides, but definitly made a statement. Thank you.

I agree with both y'al - we need both sides. The side which is capable of doing and delivering research, and the side which can chat, discuss, joke and hug.

And when those sides can overlap - we're all much the richer. But even when they don't overlap....can't they exist in a type of peace?

A human needs both sides to exist - and most of us are human. That was a joke, btw.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit