Are we equal...?

by DannyBear 118 Replies latest jw friends

• zerubberballs
    zerubberballs

Alan,

Having posted a number of articles here and elsewhere on the nett revealing my deepest beliefs in regard to history, mythology spiritism and the like and not seeing any post of yours that I could call profoundly spiritual, I take offence at you labeling me shallow LOL .. not much offence though .. as you know I wouldn't trust your judgement of your fellow posters as far as I could kick it.

So Island Woman shows no respect to the internet Elders big freak'n deal.

unclefluffyballs

• Farkel
    Farkel

unclefluffygonads,

For the record, I did NOT convert to fundy Christianity. I am still a right wing radical Taoist, and if you don't believe me, I'll sic a tree on you. An oak tree, no less. You don't mess around with oak trees, you know.

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

• seven006
    seven006

Tina,

You are absolutely right. I wrote this particular post last night but posted it early this morning. I did not personally accuse you of causing any trouble but only commented on the fact that I saw Lilacs telling someone to fuck off and that botherd me. I have see her post in response to you and I have to say that it is things like that that keep me coming back and keeps you in a very positive light in my eyes.

At times you and I don't seem to be on the same page. I then put on my glasses and continue to flip through the pages until I find where you are at. It is very hard in this kind of a format to catch each and every conversation. I hope you understand.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. As in the last instance where we seemed to be missing a compromising thought I apologize once again. I am striving for consistence but at times I get a little behind in my reading.

Take care and thank you.

Dave

I will reply to the other posters in this thread as soon as I can

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

I've been on these bulletin boards since the days of CPM and the Apple // and it never ceases to amaze me when I read the words of people who would never think to speak the same in a face to face meeting. The internet seems to create a sort of "it's ok to be rude" zone since no one can see me.

I don't care if you're the head professor at some internationally renowned university there is NEVER an excuse for calling names and speaking rudely to either a fellow peer or a student. Now, that doesn't mean I haven't done so. I've called people assholes or worse. But I always regret it and appologize once I have come to my senses. This is all to say we are only human and bound to get our knickers in a buch once in awhile.

Having read this thread and a few of the others I have to say that I understand Dan's comments and fairly agree with them. It may be that he was being a little too sensitive and took exception to Alan's way of expressing himself. I think he had every right to air his concern and that the response to it, at least at the beginning, was overblown. Now, everyone seems to have made up. That's fine. Still, Alan, you were being a real ass and you DID come off as sounding all 'elite'. Your name calling can have no other effect. I'm glad you finally allowed yourself to come down from your high position and appologize.

I have been on both sides of this type of thing, like Seeker, only I do not post as often in the scholarly arena. I have no problem keeping up with the likes of Alan or anyone else who does the research. I am not interested in impressing anyone with my intellect, although, at one time I did think that way. I have written some very interesting and thought provoking papers but I do not care that it is not well known. I would much rather hang out with z-balls and his ilk because they understand that to laugh is just as important as to understand. Intellect and knowledge are way over-rated. They can be fun and even adictive, but, nevertheless, only a small part of real life.

Do I appreciate the expose's written about the error of WTS doctrine and unholy acts. Sure. But, frankly, I have left all that behind and it has very little meaning in my life anymore. That chapter is over and we are on to other things, like learning how to laugh or really getting to know people who have a completely different idea about life than do I. I prefer the lighter side of this board and am not happy to see the intellectual folks here trivialize what this means to so many people by labelling it 'fluff'.

Now, please just read this and think about whether it's necessary to comment on my insinuations about 'intellectuals'. Having been an intellectual I know how important it is to have people respect your ability and your grasp of the abstract. But, believe me, if you don't learn to treat people with simple kindness rather than calling everyone who fails to see what you think simple a moron or jackass, you will never grow to be accepted by your community. If you continue to be abrasive you should not be surprised when your fellows object and lash out at you, even if they are unable to articulate their anger with eloquent words.

As to 'proof', that's all a smoke screen. When you lash out with insufferable name calling and superior attitude you have provided all the proof needed.

I have a little sign on my book case that says something like "Silence is the Only Successful Substitute for Brains". There is another saying that goes something like "It is better to keep silent and let others think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." These ideas have served me well as I have grown older and I think they could serve others here just as well.

These flame wars are not without merit. Invariabley, those who have participated and said things they regret learn to adjust. Those who don't adjust are just ignored. So, I can't agree with the sentiments of those here who have suggested that this exchange is of no value or harmful to those JW's who are looking for some affirmation. These boards are what they are. Some people will not ever be comfortable in a confrontational environment and they will find this site objectionable simply because this thread exists. That is too bad. They would fare better if they worked through the discomfort and learned to sort out the trash from the useful information. And, as this thread has shown, it usually works it's way out. I would be suspicious of any board wherein everyone always gets along and never has a disagreement. Not much different than a KH to me.

And look how many post there are on this thread! Surely that counts for something! <g>

Sean

• AlanF
    AlanF

Sean, I agree with much of what you wrote. However I will continue to take exception to a couple of points.

First, when logic and reason are abandoned by people determined to support a wrong premise at all costs, and expression of that premise is slanderous, name calling is often the only way to get their attention on a discussion board such as this. Perhaps not to convince them, but to get their attention. And such name calling, as you put it, is not "elitism" but realism.

Second, when people make accusations and are called upon to support such accusations with facts, and they refuse, their accusations become mere slander and are not to be taken seriously. Slanderous, unfounded accusations are certainly a basis for name calling on a discussion board when a goodly number of people blindly accept the slander and refuse to listen to reason. In the real world, slander is taken care of by a lawsuit.

Third, accusations founded on mere touchy feely emotional claptrap are of zero value, both on a discussion board and in the real world. Try using the 'evidence' presented by yourself and others in a court of law in a slander lawsuit and you'll find out.

Your biggest missing of the boat, however, is exactly the same as a number of others have made: insinuating that anyone on this board is demanding or even asking for respect for their ability or grasp of the abstract. As with everyone else who has been asked to provide proof, or even a bit of evidence, for this claim, you are unable to do it. You even attempted to forestall asking for such proof by asking readers to just read your post and think about whether a comment about your insinuations is necessary. To me, that is the height of intellectual snobbery, because it attempts to deflect criticism upfront and put someone who might want to comment in the position of being "damned if you do and damned if you don't".

You said:

: As to 'proof', that's all a smoke screen. When you lash out with insufferable name calling and superior attitude you have provided all the proof needed.

Try telling that to a court of law in a slander lawsuit. You don't even manage to say what "the proof needed" has reference to. That's just more unfounded insinuation and "saying without quite saying".

I quite agree with the "sayings" you posted. I'm not so sure you know how to apply them.

I completely agree with your last paragraphs, that "these flame wars are not without merit".

AlanF

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Alan Alan Alan,

Will you ever give up? Or at least shut up?

You were asked to show proof of where Xena attacked your friends and you refused to do it over and over.

First, when logic and reason are abandoned by people determined to support a wrong premise at all costs, and expression of that premise is slanderous, name calling is often the only way to get their attention on a discussion board such as this. Perhaps not to convince them, but to get their attention. And such name calling, as you put it, is not "elitism" but realism.
    Wow! Is that your expert opinion or is that some kind of fact you picked while doing research in all that WTS literature?

TimB

• AlanF
    AlanF

Tyydyy, tyydyy, tyydyy,

Will you ever give up? Or at least shut up?

You and your buddies were asked to show proof of where anyone claimed to be superior to anyone else and you refused to do it over and over.

I showed over and over where Xena's words were a deliberate, but subtle, attack on me and my friends. The fact that you and your buddies ignore the proof is your problem, not mine.

I gave you proof that you deliberately misrepresented me by making out-of-context quotes. Why have you not responded?

That is a fact I picked up from many years experience on discussion boards.

AlanF

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Could you please tell me where that proof was Alan? I have looked for it and I couldn't find it. I'm not saying you didn't try. I just can't find it.

So far I haven't found anyone who would agree with you on this.

That is a fact I picked up from many years experience on discussion boards.
    TimB
  • Prisca
    Prisca

Name calling is something that is normally associated with kindergartens, not discussion boards comprising of people who are supposed to be adults.

• AlanF
    AlanF

No, tyydyy, I will not do your work for you. I've been over and over these threads many times. You can do the same.

Why is it that you completely ignore my requests for proof of your false allegations? When you demand that I provide proof, when you are demonstrably unwilling to provide proof yourself, even after repeated requests, isn't that hypocritical?

I showed you point by point how you deliberately misquoted me. Yet even here you refuse to deal with your lies. Once again, where is the proof of where anyone claimed to be superior to anyone else?

Once again, Prisca, the fact that you yourself engage in name calling regularly, but condemn others who do the same, is proof of your hypocrisy.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit