Is it possible for a child to be exposed to JWism and not be damaged by it?

by Mickey mouse 140 Replies latest jw experiences

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have thought about this thread for about a day now. Trying to be reasonable and as objective as I can be. We can look at stories everyday of people that have overcome huge obstacles they suffered through as children. And I take a look at their story and think, wow, why can't I achieve a fraction of what they do?

I was not raised a JW. Many, many of the things JW's dealt with as children I did as a child too! I was amazed when I started studying as an adult, what the core of the religion was about, obediance, discipline, sacrifice, marching around like little soldiers, I'm OK-your not OK mentality, child were to be seen and not heard. When we studied about the Mosiac Law, I told my teacher "I was raised under the Mosiac Law!" My mother was treacherous!

I was damaged before I ever was a JW. My mother was very abusive, we lived in a very strict enviroment, we were isolated from the outside, as in an abusive household there are many secrets.

As an adult we can make our own decisions about the course of our life. We are held accountable for our decisions. We can change and rectify our past.

So I have spent alot of time at this board, I have years now behind me of not going to meetings, I briefly went to a therapist. The unravelling of the WT teachings was relatively easy. The mental stuff, once that was done and I was still having problems......damage I had to reflect back to what life was before being a witness.

I think my upbringing and some of the witness childrens upbringing parallels. It was controlling, withdrawn, I could never do enough, etc etc. BUT, I did not have the reinforcement of that lifestyle outside of my family life.

I see adults now that have left the organization and had healthy wonderful loving parents. But I see damage. The WT upbringing is engrained in them, so intertwined and so deeply, they are surely damaged. They are more sucessful in many ways than myself. But I don't see anymore happiness than me.

Walking away from the religion is not enough. Education, undoing, unravelling the teachings, I believe has to be done. And as you mentally do that, you emotionally have to deal with things too.

I have to from time to time in my journey, stop taking in real TRuths until I can emotionally handle it.

I think what makes the JW experiance so much harder to get away from is

Everyone you know is a JW too. Depending on how much you were allowed growing up to associate with outsiders will determine with how much damage was done.

You always have it hanging over your head if you rebel you will lose all your family and friends. I did not have that growing up as a Catholic. ( A side note, I think some JW's sucessfully leave the religion with the same mindset I had when I left Catholicism, it was my choice for a better life. It was MY journey)

and lastly, when leaving the WT religion you are told you no longer have a relationship with GOD. I did not grow up with this message. That cuts into a person deepest being. It's disabling, it can handicap someone for a very long time. It's very cruel, very very damaging.

So, I believe that some people walk away with less damage than others. But there is damage and there was some work by anyone that leaves the challenges of being raised a JW to undue that damage.

Our thoughts and feelings are very intensified, focused on being a JW, exJW, fading........... most of us are way better off than we give ourselves credit for. Some of us are more damaged than we will ever realize.

purps

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Parents give their children up to the Watchtower. They hand them over to be raised by them. Most will of course tell you they don't - but if that were true, we would not see them out knocking on doors or hear them being offered words of encouragement to pioneer and forgo a good education. We would wonder why a kiss is portrayed as so evil and association with good, kind people is wrong. We would wonder why we are told that we must cut off our non JW relatives even though our child could have a life enriched by their presence. We would take responsibility for those things instead of reaching for the WT magazine that directs the raising of our children.

Life is joy. It is full of wonder and beauty. It is full of good and kind people. Let your child benefit from all of that - sammieswife.

This was very true in the house I grew up in. The WT was the "rulebook" in how to parent. They turned off their brains and never even noticed what my sister and I were feeling. Your last line is very true but I was not raised with those attitudes. It's all things I have learned on my own after leaving the JWs.

Another poster said that it also affects the next generation. I agree with you. I do feel that I have struggled very much learning how to form healthy relationships with people. But I am learning and getting better. I don't feel that my children have been very negatively affected. They all have lots of friends and are pursuing their own interests and desires. They are MUCH happier and freer than I was at their ages.

And to another poster. I think all of us that were raised from birth or a very young age have been traumatized and negatively affected. Each one of us has a little different story. Some had both parents in, some had only one, some had their whole extended family, others didn't. I thinkn all these situations present different stresses and traumas. But it all goes back to what is being taught in the KH and in the WT and by the GB. That's where the evil comes from.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

sammieswife

Parents give their children up to the Watchtower. They hand them over to be raised by them. Most will of course tell you they don't - but if that were true, we would not see them out knocking on doors or hear them being offered words of encouragement to pioneer and forgo a good education. We would wonder why a kiss is portrayed as so evil and association with good, kind people is wrong. We would wonder why we are told that we must cut off our non JW relatives even though our child could have a life enriched by their presence. We would take responsibility for those things instead of reaching for the WT magazine that directs the raising of our children.

That is so profound I had to pick my jaw off the floor.

I certainly didn't get good parenting from any of the adults in my life. The WTS did give me rules for parenting and I will admit some of them helped me. But I am also well awaure of the damage I did by parenting via the WTS. And after I left the WTS I had no rules; no idea what to do and made some big mistakes that hurt both my children.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

purps you said everything I wanted to say and more

I so agree with this

Walking away from the religion is not enough. Education, undoing, unravelling the teachings, I believe has to be done. And as you mentally do that, you emotionally have to deal with things too.

and this

most of us are way better off than we give ourselves credit for.

ql

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Lady Lee

I certainly didn't get good parenting from any of the adults in my life. The WTS did give me rules for parenting and I will admit some of them helped me. But I am also well awaure of the damage I did by parenting via the WTS. And after I left the WTS I had no rules; no idea what to do and made some big mistakes that hurt both my children.

speaking as a parent it is a relief to admit that. I feel for the parents who acted out of the best intentions (and worst intentions I guess too).

• oompa
    oompa

well...........i am a train wreck................oompa

• beksbks
    beksbks

Oompa, I'm here to tell you, that it is possible to make a wonderful life for yourself. It's bloody hard work, and you will have bad days, but it can be done. First step is to get as far from all things JW as you possibly can. Second step is just continual self discipline. If there is a situation in front of you, and you have a choice of looking at it in a negative light or a positive light, you have to force yourself to look at the positive. You have to conciously tell yourself all will be well. In time, you won't have to talk to yourself so strenuously, it will come more natural to you. Fake it till you make it as they say. Fake being happy enough, you will be. Here is something that a counselor once told me, and I have to repeat it every now and then. Less now than in the past. She was talking about people who suffer from anxiety,

"We overestimate the danger, and underestimate our ability to handle it".

Besides, look at that face!! Come here and let me pinch your cheeks!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

beks

It's bloody hard work, and you will have bad days, but it can be done.

Yes it is hard work. But it is easier than suffering for years with no end in sight. Recovery has a goal - a positive one.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

There would have to be a segment out there who will never leave, never be abused, never need blood, never have anybody they love leave or get kicked out, and never hear anything negative about it so they'll always be happy about what they believe. I think they'll be getting through life quite amiably.

• StAnn
    StAnn

"Parents give their children up to the Watchtower. They hand them over to be raised by them."

Sammieswife, that's EXACTLY what I did. I've regretted it every day. I wonder if my son will ever forgive me for it.

StAnn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit