Is it possible for a child to be exposed to JWism and not be damaged by it?

by Mickey mouse 140 Replies latest jw experiences

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

"never have anybody they love leave or get kicked out, and never hear anything negative about it "

I don't see how that is possible from my experience.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

"I wonder if my son will ever forgive me for it."

If you talk to him about it openly and honestly, he will.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    "never have anybody they love leave or get kicked out, and never hear anything negative about it "
    I don't see how that is possible from my experience

Retention of youth raised in at 26%? I don't see how either.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

StAnn

My oldest has forgiven me and the youngest is working on it so don't give up.

What they can't forgive is when we deny what we did

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
    "Parents give their children up to the Watchtower. They hand them over to be raised by them."

To balance this thread, I guess we can also strongly disagree with the above statement too. As a JW parent I know I do.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

quietlyleaving

As a JW parent I know I do.

ah but if as your name implies you are on your way out the door you probably would be letting go of WT parenting rules.

Some JW parents are good in spite of the WTS. They would be good parents whether they were JWs or not. Bravo for being one of them.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

lady Lee

ah but if as your name implies you are on your way out the door you probably would be letting go of WT parenting rules.Some JW parents are good in spite of the WTS. They would be good parents whether they were JWs or not. Bravo for being one of them.

My children grew up JWs and are independent now. One is still in and enjoying being a jw. Imo, my children have had many good, healthy experiences through growing up Jehovah's witnesses which on balance outweigh the negatives, especially when compared to what life is like for the majority of children worldwide. Some of the negative effects of being brought up JWs do need addressing but this needs to be balanced against what one does to help oneself after one leaves. Also making a major life change has its own difficulties and has a lot to do with the problems one has when leaving an all embracing religion. If we were apportioning blame then I'll own to approximately 5% for my part in any damage caused to my children for bringing them up as JWs as unfortunately I wasn't a particularly good parent. ql

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Thanks for all your replies. I suppose in part this discussion was prompted by a guilty conscience. Not a day goes by when I don't feel guilt for exposing my children to this insanity.

• mary stewart
    mary stewart

Somehow I wanted to quote in a box, but mozilla won't let me.

I just feel that JWism ruined my life. My parents screwed me up. But I'm smart! :)

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Mickey Mouse said: Thanks for all your replies. I suppose in part this discussion was prompted by a guilty conscience. Not a day goes by when I don't feel guilt for exposing my children to this insanity.

Ah, but once we as children grow into adults it is our responsibility to get help, heal, and move beyond our childhood circumstances. I'm sure your children realize (or will realize someday) that your intentions were pure and good, even if mis-guided.

The fact that you are now awakened to the truth is something to celebrate, don't beat yourself up about what you did before you awakened. You re-claimed your mind from a powerful controlling cult! You must forgive yourself for your good intentions which you now regret, and rejoice in your new-found awareness.

Love,
    Baba.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit