Oh My Gosh! I just discovered Cornbread Casserole!

by mrsjones5 114 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'll bet Mrs J is LOL at the turn her thread has taken.

I sure am Sylvia. I'm tickled a brownish pink. I was just telling hubby that I can't believe that a topic of mine has gone over five pages.

Josie

• NanaR
    NanaR
    As an Appalachian American whose family came from deep in Eastern Kentucky, I can say that I was raised up on beans and cornbread, but the cornmeal must be white, and the bread itself no thicker than 1 inch. Golden brown (almost burnt) on bottom, and slightly greasy.

I believe this casserole you are talking about is mostly a midwest thing as my Ky family never fixed it, but my Illinois stepgrandma made it several times, and yes it is delicious.

Hey Dave!! Another point about cornbread -- here in my part of Eastern Kentucky it is sacrilege to make it in anything but a well-seasoned iron pan. Yes, I am also an Appalachian American *hah*

Ya'll have made me hungry for soup beans and cornbread -- but I'm all out of my Hudson's Cream cornmeal :-( That is my favorite brand ;-)

I have saved Mrs. Jones recipe to try later -- I have a good friend in Greenup, KY, who makes this and calls it "corn pudding".

Later!

Ruth

• snowbird
    snowbird

JG, you're a mess!

Mrs. J, you know if John Doe and Bek get on a thread, it's going to go far.

NanaR, I remember a sister made it for a CO, and she thought they were going to have to carry him from the table. She said, and I quote, "I've never seen a little White man eat like that!"

LOL.

Sylvia

• beksbks
    beksbks

Morning y'all! Did I hear my name??

Love the cornmeal mush. After it's solid and fried in butter, or not. Love the white grits too! The yellow stone ground cornmeal has the best flavor. My moms cornbread was often made in a cast iron skillet. I hate the stuff you get in a restaurant, it's all cakey and sweet, bleh.

Leftover cone brayed with butter and honey, now that's some good eats.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    it's all cakey and sweet, bleh.

A la Jiffy mix.

My mother hated it with a complete hatred.

Sylvia

• Quirky1
    Quirky1
    Don't forget the fried cabbage or the wilted lettuce and onions.

Mmmm!!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

For some reason, my granny made jiffy mix cornbread, she was the only one in the family to make it that way. She made the best biscuits and gravy, the best fried chicken, the best pies, everything she made was so good, but for some reason she always made jiffy mix cornbread. She was from Carter County, perhaps that was the diviing line where the yellow meal ended and the white meal began. Either way she was a good cook.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My grandma never used Jiffy and she never made sweet cornbread. My mother used Jiffy cuz it was easier for her and she liked sweet cornbread. I use Jiffy in a pinch or when I just don't feel like making sweet cornbread from scratch. About ten years ago when I lost my job at Levi's I started making everything from scratch to save money, luckily I had a Betty Crocker Cookbook which has a really good recipe for sweet cornbread. It make about double of what a Jiffy mix would make and has a better taste and it slightly moister.

Josie

• snowbird
    snowbird

Junction Guy, you've got to write that book!

Sylvia

• NanaR
    NanaR
    NanaR, I remember a sister made it for a CO, and she thought they were going to have to carry him from the table. She said, and I quote, "I've never seen a little White man eat like that!"

LOL @ Snowbird

Yup, every CO that ever came through here gained lots of weight ;-)

Except for the few who had the audacity to send a list of "acceptable foods" ahead of them (and these were not health-related restrictions, just high and mighty "this is what WE eat" lists). Those COs didn't gain much weight, they ended up having to feed themselves a lot *hah*

Ah, the memories!

Ruth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit