Please read condemnatory email sent to me and help me reply

by AndersonsInfo 95 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

All the replies would be good. I can't wait to read what you write, Barbara. All I can add is never let these emails get you down. You are doing something so outstanding I can't even put it into words.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

That's an interesting viewpoint, djk, and one I never gave thought to before. If I agreed with you, I definitely would not reply to the teenager's email. Anybody else want to weigh-in with their opinion?

• watson
    watson

He makes a pretty good point.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

It is NEVER wrong to tell someone at ANY age to question. You are not telling him or her to outright disobey... not parents, not the organization, but just to question and be aware.

As far at this being a child, he or she is a teen. A teenager may well be considered JW marrying age (remember how young some would be wed?) or even 18... a legal adult. I would have NO qualms whatsoever telling this so called "child" to open her eyes. A child? She was adult enough to get baptized, but not adult enough to ask questions?

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Well, that does it for me. I agree 100% with BabaYaga so don't anybody try to get me to change my mind cause I'm gonna tell the teenager just exactly how I feel about what she/he wrote me. This young person writes astonishingly good for a teen, although way off base as he/she parroted WT's judgmental jargon. This is not a dummy, folks. I bet this kid's grades are at the top in Writing Class, although a bit lacking in the critical thinking area? Personally, I don't think it's necessary to even consider the ethical dilemma of whether I'm usurping parental rights in this matter of discussing religion with a young person, especially one whose expressions are intellectually above the average. As a JW, I talked religion all the time to teens when I went door to door and even studied with them, if that's what they wanted to do. If Washington State recognized a 16 year-old's "mature minor" status when he refused medical treatment for religious reasons over the objection of his parents, I sure can respond to this young person's wholly uncalled for, obdurate, unethical, and not exactly moral wish that God kill me, and my conscience doesn't bother me one bit for doing it.

Barb

• seek2find
    seek2find

I agree with what Minimus said earlier in this thread. If I were you, I'd write her back and tell her how glad I am to see that she's at least was open minded enough to read some of your material. I think I would ask her some thought provoking questions, to see if I could stimulate her thinking a little more. Maybe something like: "In the Bible the Person who became the Apostle Paul was very dedicated to the Organization of his time. So much so that he even engaged in much hatred and violence defending it. But did that make him right?(see Acts 8:1-3 and Phil 3:6)" I think I would keep it upbeat, and not be critical of her. Dale Carnagie said in his book "How to win friends and influence people" that criticizing never works because it just puts the person on the defensive. I believe he was correct. The reactions of many here who read her comments seem to confirm his statement. "Criticisms are like homing pigeons, they always return" In contrast, Love for others seeks a different course. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs." 1 Cor 13:4,5 (NIV) seek2find

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    don't think it's necessary to even consider the ethical dilemma of whether I'm usurping parental rights in this matter of discussing religion with a young person, especially one whose expressions are intellectually above the average.

She contacted you, and might I add, against the counsel from Bethel not go to such sites. .

She is curious about something.

purps

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

seektofind: Thank you for your input, but be assured that I would never be unkind when replying to any offensive emails. (And I sure get my share of them.) That's not my way of doing things, and apparently the kind way is the way 99.9% of those who offered suggestions on this thread would handle this particular situation, so put your mind at ease. My last post was directed at the poster who thought maybe I was overstepping parental rights in this matter if I discussed religion. Perhaps I sounded harsh, but I didn't mean to. My point was that this person contacted me, not the other way around. No matter if the writer is underage, I have a right to respond (but kindly, of course).

I also would like to assure all the wonderful people who have PMd me that I'm not upset, nor do I take it personally because I receive negative emails. I knew when I put myself out there in the public eye, my efforts would not be appreciated by most JWs because at one time I thought just like them and I wouldn't have liked someone like me either for going public airing JWs dirty laundry. The major reason I posted the email that started this thread was to get fresh ideas from the very smart people who post on JWD. It's always good to listen to ideas of others because in my case I think my responses have been getting stale.

And, one more thing, I want to thank all the posters who have written complimentary and kind words for my benefit. I appreciate your words and thoughts more than I can say.

Barb

• Mary
    Mary

Hey Barb.....I would also direct this little twit to the WT's own website:

Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

In this series: