Warning: Mama6 website VIRUS

by cameo-d 100 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hosting a huge website takes weeks if not months to work out the kinks. It also takes untold hours of communication to various morons and finding the right one to work with..... sometimes at the oddest hours.

From the beginning popups should not be involved. It also costs a lot more than you think. We are not talking about purchasing domain names here although that is part of the process.

Getting to the top of Google also has its secrets.

Good luck to all those starting a new forum! I hope all goes well for you, its not an easy job.

r.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

When I was at Bethel ... I remember the Watchtower getting hit with a nasty trojan virus. HAHA!

• chickpea
    chickpea

more grist for the mill

the pop up when i accessed the site was from my windows live one-care, stating it has detected a trojan...

more info: TROJAN:JS/Agent.FA
    Alert Level: HIGH
    Used to bypass security policies

Trojan:JS/Agent.FA is malicious Javascript embedded in a Web page. The Javascript is designed to circumvent popup blocking by security applications, including popup blockers from Google Toolbar, Internet Explorer, and Norton Internet Security. The malicious popup could allow site redirection which could lead to possible downloading and executing of further malicious files.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've only encountered 2 virus outbreaks that were a headache for me at work. One was Nimda. It was a problem because I had just started a new job that week and most of the computers were still running old versions of McAfee. The other was at a web hosting company whose network I was managing. I came in one morning and saw a bunch of emails from Farhan, one of the 6 MCSE's working for me, saying "I Love You!". Our mail server was down for half a day because of him.

W

• John Doe
    John Doe

Let me get this straight, you all were getting viruses at work and at home while running anti virus software? Hmmm.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Let me get this straight, you all were getting viruses at work and at home while running anti virus software? Hmmm.

The outbreaks I spoke of took place roughly between 2000 - 2002. Antivirus software scans for known threats, and new definitions are released after the fact. Newer antivirus software is a bit more "intelligent" and looks for suspicious behaviour, but still doesn't catch everything. Antivirus and other security software is not intended to replace common sense, but should work in conjunction with it. W

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Just because you use a condom doesn't mean contracting an STD is impossible. But I'd rather use one than not. It's all about the risk/reward scenario isn't it? What's the risk versus what is the reward?

Don't see much difference with antivirus.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Great way to illustrate it

• Dagney
    Dagney
    I know some of you want to help, but why not leave this website hosting thing to people who know what they're doing?

That was/is my feeling from the start, but I clicked anyway.

FWIW, I was at work, trying to sort of keep up with what was going on here, I had 2-3 spread sheets open, and the bad popup "popped up" about detecting viruses. I did not stop and check it out so I did click on it, hence the problem. So I clicked.

But after seeing what Simon has had to deal with since being here, I am leery of anybody taking on such a task who is not an expert at such things. I'm not saying anybody isn't an expert, I'm just leery and quite naturally skeptical. And I've relearned a valuable lesson.

Honestly WAC, I thought I was goin to have to hunt you down and see if you could save my computer, something my company would be a little concerned about.

I probably will need some advice anyway, I think my laptop is unprotected...I'll be in touch.

(Oh joy, another "Trojan.packed 13" popped up again. Maybe my 15th today?)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Practice safe internet;)

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit