Do You Clearly Understand That "The Truth" Is Nothing But Bullcrap?

by minimus 128 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The old saying applies here: "If it doesn't kill you, it will make you a better person," or something like that.

One could argue that I learned some basic sales and public speaking skills being a Wt slave. But I would counter that there are easier ways to learn these skills.

I also disagree with the statement that the Wt teaches you how to study. Underlining a Watchtower is not studying; nor is relying on unsubstantiated quotations from non-cited works (as is common practice in wt publication).

I completed a doctorate degree several years ago. The hardest part of my education was unlearning many of the study habits I acquired while in the watchtower.

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Since I was born-in it is really hard to tell what or what not

I would have learned or experienced outside of the religion.

It would be a useless mental exercise at best.

What is indesputable, in my mind, is that

they are a CULT.

By that very definition alone they are wrong.

For me to say any less would be an attempt

to give some type of "Moral Equalivence" to them.

No matter what teachings they teach that are correct,

No matter what sayings they have that are true,

No matter how sincere they may be,

NOTHING can change the harmful and dangerous

aspect of cultism and mind control.

It is in our own self interest to NEVER forget this!!

Selfish it may be but all life has a built in desire

to preserve itself. Cults attempt to destroy that.

If we ever hope to grow and improve ourselves

we must never stop learning and thinking for ourselves.

Pressing our own thoughts and agendas concerning

this or that misses the point of the real danger.

Any person,

political party,

corporation,

philisophy,

religion,

nation or state,

that does such a thing

needs to be condemed for what they are.

Not praised for the fact that "they made the trains run on time".

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

You can get motivation to stop smoking through other means that work as well, if not better.

very true -but it was the Truth that did it

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

JWs aren't the only religion that teaches the non-hellfire doctrine.

very true - but I learned it first from them

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Being a JW doesn't automatically make just anyone a better person, its the changes you make to yourself that makes you a better person. All you need is the motivator.

Youve just named that tune in 1 - the JWs gave me the motivation

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

There are some good lessons that can be learned from the JWs. However, most people manage to learn these same lessons without becoming involved in a destructive cult.

Is there any good thing the JWs can provide that is not available by less destructive means? I can't think of any.

W

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Stilla, can't you see how you sound here?? You are defending these bullcrappers. You, out of all persons, should know that the truth is nothing but bullcrap. Other posters are trying to show you that this cult is no good and certainly no better than any worldly business operation. Get your head out of the sand and recognize the CULT for what it is----WORTHLESS. Check out Undercover's analysis, please. And for heaven's sakes, stop trying to rebuild their houses of worship. It's sooo hypocritical

SIMON made this a site for welcoming JWS to discuss all things. If people here are constantly negative rather than pointing out the positives - all it will do is show JWs that all apostates can do is be negative. I am giving the other side of the story - PERIOD and I am already proud that I am standing up to you whining bastards and giving the other side of the story

• undercover
    undercover
    but it was the Truth that did it

What "Truth" was that?

You're still using the buzzwords that the Society has instilled into JWs to use to seperate themselves from outsiders. There is no "Truth". It's been proven a lie. You've seen the proof.

I can understand continuing to go to meetings for sake of keeping your family ties. I can see being friends with a lot of the "friends". I can admire you for not getting caught up in all the hate talk and bashing of anything and all things JW.

I started to state that I couldn't understand why you would defend the religion so...but actually I it just hit me why I can understand it. You're still going to enough meetings and involved enough into the JW life, that you're still indoctrinated. You, and I hate to say it so bluntly, are the perfect example of cognitive dissonance. You are the perfect example of proving that the JW religion is a cult. You know the problems, you've shared the stories and the research, hell you've even met "apostates" and enjoyed their company, yet by continuing to associate with JWs so much and making yourself subject to their teachings and rituals, you're still brainwashed to some extent.

I hope you take this in the spirit of trying to help and not as undue criticism.

• minimus
    minimus

Stilla, I see that you defend "the Truth", as you put it. So you wanna be a "positive apostate"??

You are "standing up to us whiining bastards and giving the other side of the story". Well at least we all know what you think of those that refuse to defend the cult called Jehovah's Witnesses. You should be proud of yourself. What are you afraid that you might be destroyed at armageddon if you don't keep one foot in the Organization? Actually, from what I read from you, both feet are in the mess. I'm sad for you and your thinking.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Part of the value of this site is the ability of a diverse community being able to make comments and share their viewpoints in an open, generally uplifting environment. I find it disturbing when one can not accept the viewpoint of another, you may decide to disagree, but one does not need to get rude about it.

Viewpoints of folks like stilla are very critical to the success of this board, having folks who are active witnesses but see problems in the organization are not only great for the knowledge base of this board, but also for the witnesses as a whole, because like it or not, there are some favorable characteristics that people could learn from people in the organization, not the organization as a whole however.

IMHO the organization is at a crossroads right now, are they going to slowly drift towards a more mainstream faith, or are they going to become even a more high control organization than they already are, causing more damage to the present members as well as future converts.

The members of this board can help not only other board members, but many others by practicing openness, acceptance and compassion towards all, if we become intolerant of folks who have opinions or beliefs other than our own, we are becoming exactly what a lot of the folks here do not like about the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit