by snowbird 104 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Anyone from South Carolina?

Can you speak Gullah or Geechee?

Sylvia

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I have heard of Gullah, but what is Geechee?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Can you speak Gullah or Geechee?

I've never heard of it!

BTS

• mrsjones5
  • snowbird
    snowbird

Speaking of accents, I knew some people deep in the woods who spoke with a clicking sound similar to that of the native people of the Kalahari.

I also knew a family that pronounced stretch like it rhymed with crotch. I can still hear them saying stuff like, "Quit strotching your mouth like that!"

And, Alex Haley mentioned in one of his books that he knew a Black kid in Tennessee who would speak in Gaelic when he became angry!

We're all one.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks for that Gullahpride link, Ms. Jones.

It is my hope to visit those islands off the Carolina coast one day.

Sylvia

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Something that intrigues me is that often the ones, screaming about prejudice and racism, are the ones jumping on the bandwagon to stereotype and promote misinformation about white southerners. All of us are capable of prejudice. And something else I've noticed, it usually is whites who do this, rather than blacks. Blacks know that prejudice exists everywhere and isn't aware of a boundary such as the Mason-Dixon Line.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Wow that is cool. I didn't know that much language survived here in the US. I always assumed that it got wiped out.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

It's also intriguing that the Gullah language is almost identical to the patois spoken by a lot of Jamaicans.

I know when my estranged husband gets mad, it's difficult to understand him.

When our daughter became consumed by the usual teenager angst, he would ask me in frustration, "What is the mattuh with she now? I tink she bettuh behave she self a good gel or else she get a switchin.' Uh huh!

LOL.

Sylvia

• witnessgirl
    witnessgirl

Gullah is also very similar to West African Pidgen, interestingly enough. I saw a page from a Bible in Gullah and it was almost indistinguishable from West African Pidgen, complete with unique words like "dey" and "na". (I'm really into West African hip hop, especially Nigerian hip hop.)

I'm from Florida. I guess that's the South. I don't speak with a Southern accent unless I've had a lot to drink. I do go barefoot all the time and whenever possible, though. The soles of my feet are black right now. :)

Later,

Heather.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit