How Many Are From The South (USA)?

by snowbird 104 Replies latest jw friends

• horrible life
    horrible life

Raised in Tu!sa, now I live in SE Oklahoma. This is the poorest region of Oklahoma. They call it "Little Dixie" I do now have the accent of Little Dixie. It has a kinda a hick, southern, aspect to it

. We say yu'all, hey, cummin, and when we order a drink at the cafe' it is sweet'E. (Sweet Tea)

Black or White?? Just look at my avatar. No self-respecting black woman would carry a purse or wear shoes, like mine!

http://www.littledixie.org/

According to the 1970 census, 63.6% of the residents in the tri-county area had incomes below the OEO poverty guidelines. Now, according to the 2000 census, 24% of the residents of the tri-county area are living below poverty. This decrease in poverty is due primarily to the anti-poverty programs implemented through the years by Little Dixie Community Action Agency.
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Southern accents differ from state to state and even from different parts of the same state. Some southern accents are hicky and some are quite genteel and lovely. My grandmutha, Carlita, bent one syllable words in the middle to make them two syllable words. She spoke in a lock jaw accent, similar to the New England lockjaw, but with a lovely drawl to it.

I have noticed that along the coast of Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas, people have a similar accent to Grandma-ma. They say suthun, yayus, langinth, straingth, sayix and dahlin'. I wish had retained that accent, but I moved away from Mobile when I was almost seven. I picked up the cajun accent in my years in Morgan City, LA. But when I moved to Atlanta in 1970, the hicky accent rubbed off on me, though I have picked up things that come out here and there, from all the places I have lived. I have lived or spent months in 13 states and 22 cities or towns. I go to call someone baby and out comes bay. Bay is SE Louisiana. I also call boo boos: bo bos.

To those trying to lose the southern accent: I say, "Don't!" I live up here in very mundane, very vanilla, very boring as far as culture goes, Michigan. I long for the characters of the south. People are mostly very reserved and straight up around these parts. They don't joke much or laugh or poke fun at themselves and their culture. I love the southern cultures. I say cultures because they differ from place to place down south as do the dialects, accents and customs.

But it's not hard to stand out here and be "exotic". People think I have this great personality. But my type of personality is not uncommon in the south.

• iamthewolf5562
    iamthewolf5562

From Raleigh. White.

I have somewhat of a southern accent. It comes out most strongly when I'm drinking or when I'm emphatic about something.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    It comes out most strongly when I'm drinking or when I'm emphatic about something.

"Here's the thang that just galls me.... __________________!!!!"

• calico
    calico

Does southern Illinois count?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Does southern Illinois count?

It might. I have noticed that southern accents do not know about the Mason Dixon line.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I am from Miami. . Almost as far south as you can get in the continental US, but definitely not "Southern". Now I live on the other side of the peninsula, and there is definitely "Southern" in parts of town, especially once you go out to the country, but most of town itself is "damn Yankee". There are some black people here, but they are mostly Haitian or islanders. The next county north from me has a much larger population of southern blacks. I think I have a "Miami accent", but most people don't notice it

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Also I think the south isn't quite as racist as the north at least not in North Carolina.

I happen to agree with you. I think northerners are actually more racist than southerners. Especially people from the northeast. At least when a southerner is racist, you know it. However, people are not nearly so racist as I remember they were when I was a kid.

BTS

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

From VA now, but born up north, no accent (that I know of) but in the tidewater area, there is little accent.

I feel that this area is very interesting with respect to racism, there are some groups that are EXTREMELY racist, which tend to get a lot of focus, but for the most part the area is pretty tolerant of other cultures and races.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I'm in the South and I'm white (hubby says that's questionable ).

Oompa, you play Freebird LOUD, then I'll play Sweet Home Alabama LOUDER!

Lynrd Skynrd is originally from Florida so I will play it LOUDEST!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit