How Many Are From The South (USA)?

by snowbird 104 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Born and raised in Dayton Ohio of a deep appalachian heritage. I have adopted most of the linguistics from my Kentucky family. My brother on the other hand talks like a Buckeye. I am more intuned with my mountain heritage.

Even within Eastern Kentucky, you can pick up some differences within the counties. Perry Countians talk different than Johnson Countians. Also where you lived in the holler had alot to do with how you spoke. The farther up the holler you lived, the stronger the accent.

As far as racism, the most blatant racism I have witnessed would be tied with either Mississippi or Indiana.

I remember seeing signs in the trees in Indiana with little black cartoon characters with red lines through them. I didn't even see that in Mississippi.

As far as towns go, the north is way more segregated than the south. Up north rivers are usually the dividing lines between the races.

Look up sundown cities and you would find them mostly in the north.

• kitsune
    kitsune

Wow. I was just reading through the thread and was surprised. I had the opposite experience about race. I grew up in a city school up north where I was of a only a few white people. I saw a few instances of prejudice when I was out with my friends, but nothing even close to what I've seen here where I live in the south.

I love the lingo here though. The whole "Coke" means any soda you have available still makes me chuckle. I have learned never ever to say "pop". :-)

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I went to a city school up north and it was mostly black. Most of the white people lived in the smaller surrounding towns and the majority of their students were white.

There would be clashes between the schools at ballgames and their was some racial incidents.

My stepfather from Mississippi hated blacks worse than anything, but the funny this is he always managed to move to areas with alot of black people in the south.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I'm a New Jersey boy living in the south and I ain't goin' to live anywhere else. It's too cold in Jersey.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    why do want to know this Sylvia??....

I want to know because I don't get out much. I want to know what others on the board are like, how they think, etc.

Wow. I was just reading through the thread and was surprised. I had the opposite experience about race. I grew up in a city school up north where I was of a only a few white people. I saw a few instances of prejudice when I was out with my friends, but nothing even close to what I've seen here where I live in the south.

I love the lingo here though. The whole "Coke" means any soda you have available still makes me chuckle. I have learned never ever to say "pop". :-)

Kitsune, FHN, and JG really made some good points in their replies. Prejudice and bigotry are not confined to any particular group; there is so much beauty and kindness in all of us.

Thank you all for indulging me.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Black or White?? Just look at my avatar. No self-respecting black woman would carry a purse or wear shoes, like mine!

http://www.littledixie.org/

According to the 1970 census, 63.6% of the residents in the tri-county area had incomes below the OEO poverty guidelines. Now, according to the 2000 census, 24% of the residents of the tri-county area are living below poverty. This decrease in poverty is due primarily to the anti-poverty programs

HL, you're a mess!

So much can be accomplished when we feel empowered. I was raised in extreme poverty, but I fought my way out of it by focusing on getting the best education that was available.

We must never give up in our efforts at self-improvement.

Sylvia

• changeling
    changeling

I have a really cool purse I bought a couple months ago and everywhere I go black women come up to me and admire it.

changeling :)

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do you speak with a Southern accent? You know it

Are you White or Black? Dark Chocolate interior covered with a smooth Vanilla creme.

Thanks. Anytime whodi

Sylvia

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Professor, you've appointed yourself as the board smarta$$, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you'll put some intelligence behind your posts.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother was born in Louisiana and moved to California when she was about four - she does not have a southern accent. I'm born and raised in California and you guessed it I have a Californian accent but when I get upset a bit of ebonics comes out...kind of a white girl ebonics mix...ya gotta heard it to believe it. Someone once told me it was the strangest thing they ever heard.

I have met black folks who were born and raised in California who had an accent that seemed quite southern. I wonder if they've picked it up from family who were once residents of the south.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit