What really is a Soul Mate? --- Is it possible Yes or No?

by Hope4Others 83 Replies latest jw friends

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
  • DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

My dad left my mom for his soul mate. It's been a rocky relationship but they really do seem to appreciate each other on a very deep level. How anybody could appreciate my dad on a deep level is outside of my understanding but she really seems to love him.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Joel-To say, being compatible yes, that's truly remarkable and just being in touch emotionally understanding what makes the person tick

Milligal- that must be hard and worrisome to both of you when you will see each other again, I imagine his mind is filled with visions of not so great memories of

Iraq. Not being able to leave these images behind could affect relationships. it will be a grand day when they come home for good.

flipper- "Sweating the small stuff" I've seen a few books here and there on that title and it is very true. Not being nit picky over silly things is a thumbs up

Balsam-Being in tune....you know and understand each other fully, sometimes finishing each others sentences.

David- Instant...I would think yes you just know. In my opinion.

Joanne- That's a wonderful thing to be perfect in each others eyes.

Loubelle- if it is total acceptance and being very deep with someone, do you not think that romantic connection would come naturally?

h4o

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I don't care for the term because I think it lends itself to sounding exclusive as in there is only one, a mate that you will be with for all time. I have met a lot of people I really bonded with, who I connected with almost instantly (and hell sometimes over time) on a very deep level that was very positive.

I also dislike that the term generally refers to only those of the opposite sex, and that it's tied to purely romantic love.

So I guess yes, I do believe there are people out there that we get on a deeper level, but I don't think there is just one, and I don't think it's just about romance.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Sad Emo, Joannedandy,

As I mentioned there are other definitions which I have not given thought to as of yet.

Companion SoulmatesThese are people that we encounter through their life. These are usually friends, teachers, mentors, or other people who have helped you achieving a life's goal or helped you out of a crisis.
    Soul Mate Descriptions
    • Reincarnation: Some believe that a soul mate is someone with whom a person has shared other life times through reincarnation.

The soul mate could be a friend, business partner, parent, child, sibling, spouse or other family member. These soul mates can be of the same or opposite sex.

I'm not sure if some are referring to these descriptions but they are interesting.

hope4others

stuck in lg. print (sorry)

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

H4O - yep, that's the definition I was thinking of - the companion ones, except the connectedness is far deeper than seems to be implied by the quote given.

For example, I would say one of my sisters is a soul mate - yes she helps me out of trouble etc, as have many others in my life, but she has an awareness of what's going on 'underneath the surface' too. I seriously can't disguise how I'm really feeling from her! I can wear a big smile but she still knows I'm feeling as miserable as hell. That's the kind of perception/connection which makes her a soul mate imho.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

There was a time when I would have said no. A strange experience changed my mind. I was on a cruise ship with a girl and we were fighting. It was turning out to be the worst vacation ever. I walked into an elevator the next morning and met someone who changed my life. Her brother, who believes in reincarnation, later said that he thought his sister and I had been married in a former life. I've never felt as happy as when we were together. And though we are apart now I believe someday we will find our way back to each other.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Generally, the term "soul mate" is something that people who watch too much Oprah & Doctor Phil use a lot. People who use this term in every day conversation are often so obsessive about finding their "soul mate", that they often overlook or dismiss people and/or relationships because they don't fit the mould of "soul mate" that they have formed in their minds. In the end, these people end up being bitter and unhappy because they can't find a person who lives up to their strict definition of soul mate. If the soul mate seeker finds someone that they deem worthy of "soul mate" status, that relationship is often strained because one or the other is trying too hard to live up to the hype of attaining or retaining soul mate status. Instead of being soul mates, they end up feeling like cell mates.

Just remember, if two people are exactly alike in every way and they agree on everything, then one of them isn't necessary.

• Gill
    Gill

Dorktacular - What if the two people involved are complete opposites and disagree on everything but still are soul mates?

My husband and self, have only our JW back ground in common - absolutely nothing else.

We both tolerate eachother to such an extent that we encourage eachother in our own separate interests. We have little in common except what matters, love and being together and there for eachother.

• HB
    HB

I really believe in the possibility of soul-mates both platonically and romantically.

My sister Christine is 50 and her partner Stuart is 30 and people constantly assume he must be her toy-boy, but those that know them understand that this is not the case and they are true soul-mates. They are like a mirror image of each other and they instinctively know what the other one is thinking and feeling and they are incomplete apart. They are both quite unconventional and both feel there is no-one else in the world with whom they could feel such a close bond and deep respect.

They had been good friends for many years but got together 6 years ago after my sister's previous relationship broke up. The general public could not understand a normal healthy 24 year old man wanting to be with a 44 year old woman and they had to battle against prejudice but in some ways this made them stronger.

After being blissfully happy together for a year, Chris agonised and soul-searched and in spite of Stuart's pleadings and protests, she broke away and went abroad to give him the opportunity to meet someone younger. She did it out of love for him, not because she didn't want to be with him, but later admitted that pressure from disapproving society had also played a part.

But Stuart was not interested in anyone else and spent the next three months begging her to return. Both of them were totally miserable apart and eventually, to the relief of all of us that are close to them, Chris realised that she should not be wasting time and fighting the inevitable and should accept this wonderful happiness and enjoy it. I don't believe in "fate" but am tempted to say they were destined to be together. They are closer than ever now.

Chris is still concerned that when she is 70, Stuart will only be 50, but he constantly assures her that he will always love her no matter what and she has accepted that now. Stuart points out that if he was in an accident and paralysed from the neck down or any other similar scenario, he knows that Chris would look after him, so she should accept his love and believe he will still love her when she is old. He tells her he loves her age lines and wrinkles as without them, she wouldn't be herself. I tell her she should not walk away from bliss because of an unknown future.

It is great being around them, their happiness, closeness and shared love seems to cast a light around them that reflects onto others and makes everyone else feel happy too. Sorry if it sounds like a sloppy romantic novel, but it's true and I think it helps to hear positive stories sometimes as there is so much sadness in the world.

Here is a picture of them taken in 2003 (sorry don't have a more up to date one).

alt

Just to finish, I am also happily married, (30 years this September - going to Paris to celebrate!) but my husband and I are not true soul-mates. We love and respect each other deeply but many of our interests are different and there are things about me he will never understand and vice versa. (I don't understand how he loves football, all the matches seem the same to me, and he can't understand why I am interested in philosophy and sociology, as he is perfectly happy without knowing about them!). But we do share a similar outlook on life and trust each other completely.

The nearest thing I have to a soul-mate is my sister, but I have to share her with Stuart!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit