One Reason Why I Worship the God of the Bible

by snowbird 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• reniaa
    reniaa

Interesting discussion I too am a believer of the bible, in my search recently I checked other religious documents and they are certainly different from the bible, The ones I looked at are more about the message certainly they talk a good talk but the main difference the sheer volume of historical stories in the bible like the flood etc.

I saw some posts on flood at the start of this thread and I can't help wondering how bad it was before the flood for God to say all the hearts of men were turned to bad. We may question Gods abitary slaughter when he felt it was necessary but I've seen men do some pretty unimaginably vile things, I keep asking myself a question... if I was God what would I do with a nation that sacrificed children? lol i'm glad I'm not God I bet we make ruling us quite difficult.

• Open mind
    Open mind

reniaa:

if I was God what would I do with a nation that sacrificed children?

om

• Gopher
    Gopher
    the main difference the sheer volume of historical stories in the bible like the flood

Have you researched this, Reniaa? Or do you merely accept that the flood is "historical" because the Bible says it is so?

If you do some research you will see strong evidence that the Flood account is unscientific. The story is fraught with so many difficulties that it is mind-boggling.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open
    I'm not arguing for or against anything. I'm simply bringing my opinion - unpopular though it may be - to the table as the rest of you have no problem doing.

And when you do that to a table which is a public forum, be prepared for your opinion to be evaluated and commented on. Personally I would want to have logic behind opinions that I post.

Eyes Open, the decree that the earth was cursed on account of Adam's sin was eventually repealed during the days of Noah.

I didn't know that, and I suppose I will have to admit my point was flawed if that is the case. Could you let me know where the bible says it please?

And, we all work hard for our living, physically or mentally.

Some are born into rich families. Some have a business which takes off which they sell for enormous amounts of money.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Open mind, at the risk of hijacking my own thread, good point.

From The Message Bible:

Jeremiah 7:30 -31 "The people of Judah have lived evil lives while I've stood by and watched." God's Decree. "In deliberate insult to me, they've set up their obscene god-images in the very Temple that was built to honor me. They've constructed Topheth altars for burning babies in prominent places all through the valley of Ben-hinnom, altars for burning their sons and daughters alive in the fire—a shocking perversion of all that I am and all I command

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Eyes Open, the decree that the earth was cursed on account of Adam's sin was eventually repealed during the days of Noah.

I didn't know that, and I suppose I will have to admit my point was flawed if that is the case. Could you let me know where the bible says it please?

I will have to retract my statement. I understood Lamech's prophecy at Genesis 5:28-30 to mean that Noah's birth would cause the curse to be lifted. I read it again for the first time, and what Lamech actually did prophesy was that Noah would bring comfort and rest from their hard labor as a result of the ground that God had cursed.

I stand corrected. The Bible indicates that this curse won't be lifted until the end of Christ's Millenial Kingdom.

Revelation 22:3 And there shall be no curse any more.

Sylvia

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Hi SnowBird:

I enjoyed your post. I don't think I follow the logic, but that doesn't bother me - I know you weren't tyring to prove any point.

Cheers -VE

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, do you know of anyone who has cheated death?

If you are framing the question as an absolute you are already stepping outside the bounds of natural physics.

Death has been cheated by medical science, yes. But, not in the absolute sense. Just as gravity has been "cheated" by NASA.

You may as well ask if any geometer has been able to square the circle!

Death is viewed as the "enemy" by religious people because they are given everlating life as an actual absolute alternative.

I ask you to ask yourself if this may not be a false hope at the get go.

Life has a span. Flowers bloom and die. The pollen can actuate more flowers in a dance of life which is ongoing.

The problem religious humanity has with the natural life cycle is that they want to be greedy for identity rather than merely LIFE.

It is their own consciousness they seek to prolong rather than being content to pass life on in their children and grandchildren.

I have 7 kids. I'm as immortal as the natural life cycle can make me. In this sense of posterity I have cheated death.

But, I'm sure you prefer the avarice (if I may so employ the word) of eternal identity.

See my point? (I'm not picking on you, by the way. Just offering alternate thoughts in competition with your own :)

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi SnowBird:

I enjoyed your post. I don't think I follow the logic, but that doesn't bother me - I know you weren't tyring to prove any point.

Cheers -VE

Thank you.

My mother died in 2005 and a sister in 2006, so death has been in my thoughts a lot lately

Whenever I get emotional, my thoughts are quite jumbled; I hope I don't try anyone's patience too much!

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird
    But, I'm sure you prefer the avarice (if I may so employ the word) of eternal identity

No greed here.

See my point? (I'm not picking on you, by the way. Just offering alternate thoughts in competition with your own :)

I certainly do - as I'm sure you see mine. Else, you wouldn't be on this thread, right?

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit