One Reason Why I Worship the God of the Bible

by snowbird 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• middleman
    middleman

Mariusuk, wrote "If you kill a lot of innocent people it is murder. If you believe for example the flood actually happened and God caused said flood that means he killed a hell of a lot of innocent children and babies. You can play around with justifications all day long but if a human did that he/she would be demonised kind of like Hitler and Stalin were. The God of the bible has all the characteristics of the war mongering people of the time strangely enough......... coincidence?"
    Let me talk about the reason for the flood for a moment. I'll try to make this short. Lets read Genesis 6:1-4
    1And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
    2That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.3And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
    4There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Now Satan's whole purpose of the "Nephilim/giants/Rephaim" race was to pervert man and corrupt his gene pool/seed. He was trying to pre-empt Jesus coming in the flesh as a man and reedeming mankind. The people of Noah's day were more than just evil at face value (children included), they had a tainted bloodline from the Fallen Angels. God had to wipe them out or man's DNA would've gone past the point of being "pure", humanly speaking. Jesus died for MAN, not some satanic hybrid. The Hebrew term "Rephaim" literally means "the living dead". This coincides with the fact that this "race" of people were already doomed for death, for God had not given them life. Their soul couldn't be reedemed because of their mixed non human blood. I firmly believe this race of "man" is where the Greek, Egyptian, Norse, etc foklore comes from. Same goes for the making of megaliths worldwide (Stonehenge for example) and other large structures made by ancient man that confuses modern architects today. Consider the flooring of the ancient temple Baalbek. Each solid piece of rock is the size of a train rail car (or larger), carved and neatly set into place! http://www.redicecreations.com/specialreports/2006/02feb/baalbekII.html

On verse 9 we read "9These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God."Noah (and family) were perfect in his/their GENERATIONS, and this is why God spared them through the flood only. It wasn't because they were perfect people but rather perfect with no tainted bloodline. This is also the reason of the Caanan conquests/killings and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Lets read Jude 1:6-7
    6And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
    7Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

As we can see here in the New Testament, Sodom and Gomorrah had been intermarrying with strange flesh aka the Fallen ones.

I can expound futher if anyone cares to discuss.......now release the arrows.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

It is a quick and enjoyable (IMO) read that attempts to show how the Bible has been, for want of a better term, mauled to suit the purposes of many a group.

Yet, out of all that has transpired, the Light continues to shine in the darkness.

You can pick what you want and discard the rest - as I did with the article on confirmation bias.

So the answer to my question "What has that to do with confirmation bias and your choice to take the fact that we all die as evidence of God and the bible's inspiration?" is 'nothing'. I didn't pick what I wanted and discard the rest.

So back to the death-proves-God's-threat-was-real argument. Maybe the story in Genesis is just a people's attempt to explain the situation in which they find themselves, much like it explains why snakes don't have legs. (God cursed it for being naughty.)

• marmot
    marmot

If the bible was supposed to be God's ultimate message to humanity, why was it only available to a proportionally tiny slice of that population until relatively recently?

Also, what was god up to in the period before he started taking an interest in middle eastern sheep herders?

Did he take special note of any righteous Native Americans? Did he alternately bless or curse various populations in Asia when they went to war? What about Africa, did God not give a **** about black people until the Ethiopian eunuch?

This racial favoritism and micromanagement of human affairs attributed to the biblical god is just silly. Believing in the god of the bible is no different from believing the religious myths of any other cultural group. They're all far-fetched and carry the potential to be harmful if taken literally.

I *do* agree, however, that the bible does have some very useful lessons on life but so do many other pieces of historic literature or ancient oral traditions as well as modern writings. We should open our minds to the shards of wisdom scattered all across humanity's cultural landscape and leave the negative aspects by the wayside.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    He represents our archetypal

consciousness with all its myriads of sub-consciousnesses; then for others He is the essence of All That Is and flows

through all, in all, and around all.

As an atheist, I see no problem with viewing God as as a metaphor.

It seems that that's what you're doing, j-o.

I just don't see logical reason for belief in God as an entity, an individual, a personality.

Where a believer sees God in a sunset, the nonbeliever may be no less awed by it's beauty.

But that humble appreciation does not magically produce a God.

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

Good post, Sylvia. I could not have said it better myself...

• golf2
    golf2

What I believe in is my business. What others believe in, it's their business.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I definitely believe God exists and I believe quite possibly God will intervene again in human affairs. However, until God does that, I see no rationality in the idea of worshiping, praising, kowtowing, obsequiating myself to Him until He does intervene. How can one truly love a being that has the power to end wickedness and evil but has tolerated it for so long? I have never read any explanation that suffices to justify this - they are all replete with contradictions.

Love is dynamic, living, real, and we can only truly love that which clearly loves us and continues to love us, in the present tense, as the Bible alludes to. Over 2,000 years of complete tolerance of wickedness and suffering and silence by God and Jesus does not meet that standard as far as I'm concerned. Anything else is just an imitation of love, sentimentalism.

WHEN God reaches out to his human children again and reaffirms his love for all of us, THEN I will have good cause and a rational reason to love and worship him.

If Jesus still loved Thomas even though Thomas refused to believe until he had solid proof, then Jesus should give the human family the same benefit now.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I have thoroughly enjoyed our little interchange.

We're all fellow passengers on this jewel in space called Earth.

What affects one, eventually affects all.

What I have expressed here is but one of the myriad opinions that abound in the human family.

To those who have nodded in agreement, I thank you for the affirmation.

To those who have vehemently shaken their heads in disagreement, I thank you, also, for the motivation to dig even deeper into the sacred writings.

Sylvia

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open
    I have thoroughly enjoyed our little interchange.

Does this signal the end of your participation in your thread, having not been able to address why humanity's dying (like every other living thing on the planet) can in any way be used to support the bible/God on the basis that the writer wrote that God said it would happen?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, by the way - just in case any theists should try and slot this comment into a stereotypical image of a hateful atheist. It's just that you made a statement about it being something that provides a reason for your faith, and reasons for faith should be explained/justified to make sure that they are not merely circular reasoning.

• Galileo
    Galileo

Haven't had time to read through this whole thread yet, I'm on my way out, but I just wanted to comment on this:

There are no commuting of sentences, no payoffs, no unlawful flights to avoid prosecution or any such shenanigans in this case. God has remained true to His Word throughout the millenia since He first pronounced the Death Sentence on the human race.

I'm going to let you in on a secret. I am god, and to prove it, I will reveal some wisdom to you: the sun will rise tomorrow. When you wake up tomorrow and realize that, no matter how much effort you put forth to stop it the sun did in fact come up, you will know that the one true god replied to your thread. PM me if you'd like to know what form of worship I require.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit