One Reason Why I Worship the God of the Bible

by snowbird 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

A Christian will always say that injustices by God cannot exist. God is just and therefore everything he does is just. The fact that imperfect humans don't agree with Yahweh has nothing to do with it. I generally try to avoid biting on the "name some injustices carried out by God" question because it's not a winnable argument. Not only can God choose to do what he wants to and still be just, but he can also be wishy-washy. He is God. It is his right to do so. How can we as mere humans (and sinful ones at that) question him?

At the same time, though, God--assuming he exists--can't seriously expect all humans to just accept at face value everything that is in the Bible or any other religious text. The brains that he gave us are going to demand that we question things that do not make sense. And I don't care what Jewish or Hebrew religion you belong to, it is undeniable that from a human standpoint, there are many things in the Bible that do not make sense.

Why did the Yahweh deity never hesitate to show who was boss, often cruelly striking down thousands? As mentioned in another of my topics, once he cause 42 children to be mauled because they badmouthed on of his priests. Yet Jesus always scolded his apostles whenever they reacted in a way that suggested that enemies of Christ should be dealt with.

This is why the Bible seems contrived and outdated. Three thousand years ago it was acceptable to kill people for what we might call minor offenses, regardless of the deity worshipped. In some places that we would call backwards or undeveloped now, some of these beatings and killings continue and the communities feel they are justified.

• Terry
    Terry

If the Bible is the most important communication between God and man...why didn't God write it Himself?

Instead, many many people over a vast span of time pass on the tradition orally, then committed variations to writing which were copied and revised, translated and interpreted by men.

Why, if Jesus was the very son of God himself, didn't Jesus write the precise instructions for faith, morals and human interaction rather than letting that task go to various persons, some of whom copied what they heard told and attributed it to eyewitnesses of miraculous events?

Why weren't autograph copies (actual written originals) preserved for evidence? Why aren't copies of copies preserved? Why do we only have copies of copies of copies? Why are even THOSE in tatters, shards, pieces and ruins that must be reassembled from various dump grounds around the Middle East? Why was it necessary for political and religious fundamentalists to battle it out as to which of these various copied writings should be accepted as True and canonical (in view of the fact they got little else right)?

Why was Judaism and Christianity a variety of mixed and contradictory beliefs by a wide range of people who could never get together and agree what was orthodox? Why is Christianity splintered (as always) into factions with contradictory sincereties parading as Truth?

The answer is: THE BIBLE IS NO DOCUMENT attesting to absolute wisdom from a Supreme Being. It is a patchwork quilt of opinions, changes, arguments committed to writing passed off as divine and a muddle dressed up in a tuxedo.

If God wanted there to be a Bible, He'd have written it and preserved it.

The mess we have called "Holy" is unworthy of your confidence.

What is wrong with simply praying to the True God in the name of Jesus and letting Him answer you directly?

Can you answer that?

I'll answer for you. Because a stunning silence will ensue!

At least, you better hope that's all you get. Otherwise, you get to join the ranks of the loonies who "hear" God whispering Truth in their ear.

(i.e. the Anointed FDS).

Where will that get you???

• snowbird
    snowbird

I've read and re-read critics of the Bible who addressed ALL of the concerns that have been posted so far.

My conclusion: Still, I believe.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    My conclusion: Still, I believe.

Me too.

As limited beings, we can not apprehend how an omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent God would choose to act in a given situation. It is ingrained JW hubris to pretend we could. We can think about how we would act, but we are not all-knowing.

Do I understand everything? No.

But I trust God.

BTS

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    Re: "Conclusion: anybody who loves the god of the Bible is a very sick and disgusting person, not to mention: delusional, ignorant, immoral, dangerous, confused, clueless, senseless, twisted and insane. Let me see, could I state that in even harsher terms? I'll leave it at that for now. Oh, and "capable of believing just about anything," or naive."

Yes I agree these are fairly harsh terms, personally I don't think I could ever say that to someone regardless of what I may believe otherwise.

hope4others

• startingover
    startingover

StartingOver,

Please enumerate any God-approved injustices found in the Bible. Thank you.

Sylvia

Doing so would be an exercize of futility. I've got better things to do that waste my time with someone like you who will believe no matter what. My comments earlier weren't for you.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    My comments earlier weren't for you.

Thanks for the clarification.

Sylvia

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Wow, indeed. May I also make a suggestion:

http://www.thedyinggod.com/bible.html

What has that to do with confirmation bias and your choice to take the fact that we all die as evidence of God and the bible's inspiration?

• snowbird
    snowbird

What has that to do with confirmation bias and your choice to take the fact that we all die as evidence of God and the bible's inspiration?

It is a quick and enjoyable (IMO) read that attempts to show how the Bible has been, for want of a better term, mauled to suit the purposes of many a group.

Yet, out of all that has transpired, the Light continues to shine in the darkness.

You can pick what you want and discard the rest - as I did with the article on confirmation bias.

Sylvia

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hmm... I don't mean to discuss your beliefs, but I'm a bit puzzled at your choosing the fact that all people die (as do "animals," btw) as even one reason to believe that the Bible is anything special. That may be the only thing all mankind has ever agreed on... (notwithstanding mythical "exceptions," which are also found in the Bible).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit