JW Mom killed in house

by Wordly Andre 142 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

I thought in an earlier news clip, the husband was noted as a JW. I am thinking also of the recent news report of a previous JW elder/pedofile there in Murietta also recently a big court case & sentenced to prison. I wonder what the heck the Murietta congregation(s) there are going through??? Going door to door there would be absolutely horrible, impossible, I would think.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Living across the street from her parents, still didn't keep her safe. I wonder how many knew about the abuse and did nothing.

Good point, and I wonder that too. According to one of the neighbors, she was "smiling all the time" so at least she probably hid it well.

• Honesty
    Honesty

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/05/22/news/californian/murrieta/z107131ec0ab17ffa882574510070013e.txt

MURRIETA ---- The husband of a Murrieta woman found bludgeoned to death in her home last month was arrested Thursday and charged with her murder, authorities said.

Kelle Lee Jarka, 39, was arrested around 10:30 a.m. as he left Family Law Court at Southwest Justice Center in French Valley, said Murrieta police Detective Sgt. Jim Ganley. Jarka was attempting to regain custody of his two young children who were taken from him after their mother's death, Ganley said.

The morning of April 28, Isabelle Jarka, 40, was found in the master bedroom of the couple's home on Tamarisk Street.

A coroner's autopsy later determined she had at least 11 blows to the head from a blunt object. Police have not recovered a murder weapon.

Kelle Jarka had called 911 about 8:45 a.m. that morning to report that he returned home after a short shopping trip to find the home broken into, ransacked and his wife's body upstairs, police said.

According to information released by police Thursday, it was 26 seconds into that 911 call before Jarka mentioned to the dispatcher that his wife may have been murdered.

Deputy District Attorney John Davis said Thursday that, along with the murder count, a special allegation has also been filed against Jarka that could make him eligible for the death penalty.

Jarka is being held without the possibility of bail and is scheduled to be arraigned either Friday or Tuesday, Davis said.

Contact staff writer John Hall at (951) 676-4315, Ext. 2628, or [email protected].

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Is he a JW? It appears he was pretty active. It doesn't seem he is an elder, but before he was arrested, several JWs had written to the local newspaper, mostly in his defense:

• I have known this family for over 22 years and they are one of the most morally sound people around. They have a deep love of God and of each other. For most of their lives they both have spent thousand of hours volunteering their personal time helping other people to better themselves by putting God first.
    • Neighbors may live close, but the people who spent real time with the Jarka family know how they were a loving/genuine family (there are no negative things about this family). ... This poor man lost the Love of his Life ... He truly Loved her. Yes! There are still people that love their Husband or Wife in this world (believe it or Not).
    • Dear Kelle: I cannot believe the news. I am in shock. Isabelle the love of your life and the children. I have known this family for many years, taken cruises, spent the most quality time in my life around this famliy. I am sad for every person that will miss Isabelle -- the smile -- her kind heart -- best Christian qualities. Just a beautiful human being. ... my prayers go out to you and your loved ones.
    • I knew Kelle and Isabelle from many years ago. They were my brother and his ex's best friends. They went on vacation together and hung out all the time. They were at his house not too long ago. Kelle, I'm sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and with your family.
    • I sure hope for those defending the husband that it isn't him! I can't help but think about the recent case of the brother who was convicted of molestation. I heard he had a whole lot of people refusing to even think it was possible. We all have to remember that anything is possible in this wicked world! I sure hope for the family's sake it wasn't anyone they knew.
    • My condolence to the Jarka family and Canchola. I knew these families. Isabelle was a kind and lovable person. She loved her kids and husband very much. Kelle loved her and would never do anything to harm her. Kelly, ... we pray for you and you are always in our thoughts We will see her in paradise when jehovah gets rid of evil.
  • Mary
    Mary
    On the morning of April 28th, Kelle Jarka’s initial call to 9-1-1 was to report the burglary and he did not immediately reveal to police dispatchers that his wife may have been murdered until 26 seconds into the call.

That's the first clue that something's wrong.....if you came home to find your wife laying dead on the floor, the first thing you'd be screaming into the 911 phonecall is that your wife was murdered, not that your house was broken in to. The simplest phrase can change everything. When Scott Peterson phoned his mother-in-law (after he had murdered Laci), he made the mistake of saying she was "missing", not "is she over there?" before anyone knew what had happened. Sounds like Kelle didn't think things through quite well enough.

Kelle Jarka purchased several life insurance policies in his wife’s name within weeks of her murder which totaled over $1,000,000 in value.

That's the second red flag that generally goes up for law enforcement when their mate dies under circumstances like this. One of the first things they do is check the life insurance policies to see when they were purchased and how much it's for. If a large amount of life insurance is purchased on your mate and they are subsequently murdered by an 'unknown' intruder, the cops will almost always zero in on the surviving mate.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth
    Last modified Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:09 PM PDT
    Kelle Jarka

MURRIETA: Husband arrested in wife's murder

By JOHN HALL - Staff Writer

MURRIETA ---- The husband of a Murrieta woman found bludgeoned to death in her home last month was arrested Thursday and charged with her murder, authorities said.

Kelle Lee Jarka, 39, was arrested around 10:30 a.m. as he left Family Law Court at Southwest Justice Center in French Valley, said Murrieta police Detective Sgt. Jim Ganley. Jarka was attempting to regain custody of his two young children who were taken from him after their mother's death, Ganley said.

"We have evidence to show he staged a burglary to cover up that he is responsible for the death of his wife," the sergeant said.

The morning of April 28, Isabelle Jarka, 40, was found in the master bedroom of the couple's home on Tamarisk Street.

A coroner's autopsy later determined she had been hit at least 11 times on the head with a blunt object. Police have not recovered a murder weapon.

Kelle Jarka called 911 about 8:45 a.m. that morning to report that he returned home after a short shopping trip to find the home broken into, ransacked and his wife's body upstairs, police said.

"When he initially called 911, he did not reveal the death of his wife until 26 seconds into the call," Ganley said.

The murder investigation that followed led detectives to believe that Isabelle Jarka was not killed randomly by a burglar, police said.

"Detectives and forensic techs with the state Department of Justice painstakingly analyzed evidence in this case," Ganley said.

There were also several statements by Kelle Jarka that appeared to detectives to be inconsistent with the evidence.

Kelle Jarka told police he left the home that morning to run errands, including getting more baby formula for the couple's infant child. However, there was plenty of baby formula found in the home, police say.

Riverside County Deputy District Attorney John Davis said Thursday that, along with the murder count, a special allegation has been filed against Jarka alleging he committed the crime for financial gain.

"It is widely known that they were having domestic difficulties," Davis said with no further elaboration.

The prosecutor said life insurance policies on Isabelle Jarka listing her husband as the beneficiary had recently been taken out.

"There are at least three, that we know of so far, totaling around $1 million taken out within two weeks before the murder," Davis said.

The allegation that Kelle Jarka committed the murder for purposes of financial gain mean he could ultimately face the death penalty.

District Attorney Rod Pacheco ultimately will decide whether to request that a jury sentence him to death.

As now charged, the minimum sentence Jarka could face would be life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Jarka is being held without the possibility of bail and is scheduled to be arraigned either Friday or Tuesday, Davis said.

Contact staff writer John Hall at (951) 676-4315, Ext. 2628, or [email protected].

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

The Press-Enterprise Riverside, California

Murrieta man charged with murder in wife's death

10:56 PM PDT on Thursday, May 22, 2008
    By TAMMY J. McCOY and SARAH BURGE
    The Press-Enterprise

Weeks after a 40-year-old Murrieta mother was found beaten to death inside her home, authorities Thursday charged her husband with murder for financial gain.

Kelle Jarka, 39, was deep in debt, and in the weeks before Isabelle Jarka's killing took out life insurance policies in her name valued at more than $1 million, Murrieta police Sgt. Jim Ganley said.

Prosecutor John Davis said his office charged Jarka with first-degree murder and the special circumstance of murder for financial gain. The charges make Jarka eligible for the death penalty or life in prison.

Police arrested Jarka at the Southwest Justice Center's family law court Thursday morning as he attended a hearing to regain custody of his two children, who have been staying with their maternal grandparents, Ganley said.

On April 28, Jarka called police about 8:45 a.m. reporting that his home had been burglarized. He didn't mention anything about his wife's death for the first 26 seconds of the call, a police news release said.

Jarka told investigators he went out to buy coffee and baby formula. When he returned he found a door forced open, the house ransacked and his wife bloody and unconscious on the master bedroom floor.

One of the Jarkas' children, a 12-year-old girl, had spent the night with her grandparents, who live across the street. But it appears the couple's 6-month-old boy was in the master bedroom at the time his mother was killed, Ganley said.

An autopsy revealed that Isabelle Jarka suffered at least 11 blows to her head, but the murder weapon has not been found, Ganley said.

Detectives concluded that Jarka staged the crime scene to make it appear his home was burglarized and destroyed some physical evidence before calling police.

Jarka's statements to police and his actions were valuable to authorities, Davis said.

"The significant evidence in this case is the inconsistent stories about what happened," Davis said.

The inconsistencies pertained to where Jarka was before his wife's death, what he did in the days after and how he handled himself, Davis said.

At the Tamarisk Street home of Isabelle Jarka's parents Thursday, her brother-in-law, Paul McGraw, said they were aware Isabelle and Kelle Jarka were having marital trouble, but had no inkling of their money problems. The couple appeared to be doing well financially -- they had two Lexus vehicles and an expensive powerboat, he said.

McGraw said the family doubts that Isabelle knew the extent of her husband's financial problems either. Family members described Isabelle as unfailingly kind and generous, but also naïve.

"She was easily taken in by people," her sister, Laura McGraw, said. "She was very trusting."

Jarka was "very controlling" and secretive about his personal affairs, Paul McGraw said. Outwardly, he seemed to be a nice person and a great son-in-law, often going out of his way to help his in-laws, McGraw said, but he had a "darker side."

The family confronted Jarka after Isabelle's death but he denied having anything to do with it, McGraw said. Since then, McGraw said, the family has avoided speaking with him. They don't even know if Isabelle's remains have been released to Jarka, McGraw said.

Family members said they were convinced from the start that Jarka was responsible for Isabelle's death. But weeks later, her sister Maritza Trelata said, they still cannot fathom his motives.

"We'll have to live with that forever -- why."

Reach Sarah Burge at 951-375-3736 or [email protected]

Reach Tammy J. McCoy at 951-375-3729 or [email protected]

• Mary
    Mary

What a scum-sucking pig. People who pull this kind of crime never stop to think about all the lives it destroys. Not only is his wife dead, but he's now ruined the chance for his children to ever know their mother and they'll have to grow up with the knowledge and humiliation that everyone knows their father murdered their mother. What about the wife's parents, grandparents, siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles? They too will have to go the rest of their lives never seeing her again because her husband was apparently a control-freak who had no qualms about murdering the woman who had just given birth to his child 6 months previously.

I can imagine that the congregation they attended are just shitting bricks right about now. Not only will there be genuine grief over the loss of this woman that was apparently well liked, but there will be shock and dismay that such a violent crime could happen amongst 'the happiest people on earth'. Plus I'm sure the elders will be putting emphasis on how much reproach this will bring upon Jehovah's name.

What a waste and what a tragedy. Instead of dealing logically with his financial problems, this fool decided to try and take the 'easy' way out, thinking he could outwit law enforcement with his weak tale of a B&E.

I hope the bastard rots in jail and then burns in Hell.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Some reader responses sent to the newspapers that are obviously from JWs:

Let everyone who comments pray they never find themselves being accused of anything as serious as this. Remember many innocent people have been arrested and even convicted and sent to prison, we are innocent till proven guilty! As for the comment that the children spending the night at the grandparents being convenient, this was a common occurrence.

From "Very Disturbed":

I'm having a very hard time believing the accusation. Where's the evidence? Just because he's been arrested doesn't mean he's guilty!

From "Saw it coming":

Still sad! For the children's sake I was hoping that it wasn't him. However I'm glad to see the police didn't rush to arrest him and made sure they had all their ducks in a row in order to make sure he will have to pay dearly for what he did! I will continue to pray I'm sure along with many others for the children and family. Personally I know when we leave it in the hands of Jehovah he always helps us get through one day at a time.

From "Hope it doesn't happen to you":

What happened to assumption of innocence? I don't care if he did or didn't but does everyone realize that only one version of the story (the police's) is out there. Information is presented to the public very deliberately so as to maintain a semblance of safety. What if the husband is innocent? Should those of us with life insurance policies on our spouses or ourselves cancel them...just in case they/we die? Does having insurance mandate guilt?

Regardless, I'm sure this will keep all the neighbors from calling and asking the police about safety in their neighborhood. If he did it...fine, but what if he didn't? What happened to the "several" suspects the police said they were investigating. What about the other robberies in the area? Did Mr. Jarka do those also?

People that assume this is a slam dunk should stop watching Law and Order and spend some time in a real courtroom. Be careful of forming opinions fed to you by the police and media. It is often one sided and could really come back to bite you later.

The court is where guilt is determined, not in chatrooms.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75
    Still sad! For the children's sake I was hoping that it wasn't him. However I'm glad to see the police didn't rush to arrest him and made sure they had all their ducks in a row in order to make sure he will have to pay dearly for what he did!

The reason so many people rush to the conclusion that the spouse is responsible; is because in almost all cases they are! His story just doesn't make since that he went to the store for formula when there is plenty in the home already. Then with the life policies just taken out and he is so far in debt, that just adds to his guilt. It seems like the police have done a good job and have even more evidence against him. It's so scary that the person she probably trusted the most, is the one that took her life. I feel so bad for these children that now have lost both parents!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit