JW Mom killed in house

by Wordly Andre 142 Replies latest jw friends

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

THE PRESS-ENTERPRISE
    Riverside, California

Violent end to a life spent making others smile 10:00 PM PDT on Tuesday, July 8, 2008
    By TAMMY J. McCOY
    Hiding behind corners to surprise unsuspecting loved ones as they walked by -- memories of such antics are all that Isabelle Alexandra Jarka's family has left.

The 40-year-old mother of two was found dead April 28 inside her Murrieta home, and much of the information about her slaying remains solely within the purview of investigators and prosecutors.

Isabelle's husband, Kelle Lee Jarka, has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges that make him eligible for the death penalty if convicted. His attorney did not return calls seeking comment.

Jarka, 39, waits in a Riverside County jail cell until his trial.

Today would have marked the couple's 19th wedding anniversary. Isabelle Jarka had spent nearly half of her life married to Kelle when Murrieta police found her on the floor of her home. A pool of blood was near her head. Her skull had been hit more than 10 times with a blunt object, according to police and court records.

It was a violent, ugly end to a life spent making others smile.

Her sister, Maritza Trelak, recalls that Jarka occasionally would amuse herself by poking a finger into the middle of the newspaper, scaring the reader.

Her penchant for silly antics did not perish with her. The Jarkas' 12-year-old daughter is following in her mother's footsteps, said Trelak, who spoke on her family's behalf.

Jarka also enjoyed entertaining people at her home, and relatives raved about her cooking, especially Italian cuisine.

She was a gourmet chef who listened to tenor Andrea Bocelli and poured her creative talents into interior decorating and sewing.

"She loved providing the best for her family," Trelak said.

Inside the Jarkas' spacious Murrieta home, which was opened to the public for an estate sale, were several bookcases filled with magazines and books devoted to cooking, dieting, fitness, home decorating and ways to improve one's appearance.

The youngest of three sisters, Jarka grew up in La Mirada, a suburb of Los Angeles County, in a home where her mother, Tina Canchola, cooked breakfast, packed their lunches and had dinner ready when their father, Elias, came home from work, said Trelak.

Jarka grew into a warm, compassionate woman, Trelak said.

The family moved to Missouri in the late 1980s because of their father's job. Jarka, a Jehovah's Witness, was living there when she met Illinois resident Kelle.

Kelle Jarka's uncle introduced them during a religious event, said Trelak.

They married July 7, 1989, and honeymooned in Cancun, Mexico, where Isabelle Jarka developed a stomach ailment from the local cuisine, causing the couple to return home earlier than planned, Trelak said.

For their second wedding anniversary, Kelle Jarka gave his wife a diamond tennis bracelet.

She was excited about the gift and had trouble unwrapping the jewelry box, a videotape of the anniversary party shows.

When she saw the bracelet, her face lit up with a big smile. She kissed her husband, a brief peck on the lips, then displayed the bracelet for all to see.

Isabelle wore the bracelet often and planned to pass it on to her daughter, Trelak said.

Kelle Jarka listed the bracelet among the items he reported missing from their home after his wife's death, according to Murrieta police Sgt. Jim Ganley.

In 2007, Jarka learned she was pregnant with the couple's second child.

It was a happy accident, a pregnancy that was not planned but absolutely welcomed, Trelak said.

"And once she found out it was a boy, well that was a source of pure joy to her. It just made her family feel 'complete,'" Trelak said.

Six months later, the Jarkas' infant son was in his parents' master bedroom, police said, not far from his mother when she was beaten to death.

Reach Tammy J. McCoy at 951-375-3729 or [email protected]

Most Recent Comments:

DarleShephe9:
    I think is unfortunate for the children and the rest of the family that this had to happen to someone who was so full of life. She didn't deserve this.

JJ2014:
    Unfortunately, "familicide" is not that uncommon amongst members of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Here is a link to a webpage which starts three pages of summaries of cases in which Jehovah's Witnesses have killed their spouses, parents, siblings, and other family members. That website also has three additional pages of summaries of cases in which Jehovah's Witnesses have killed their employers, employees, friends, and others:

http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com/familicide.html

• tryingtounderstandjws
    tryingtounderstandjws

I got a chill down my spine when I read this. I thought it was my friend that got killed. She has told me for the over a year that her husband is a psychopath and has abused her for most of their marriage. He has told her stories about how women go missing and die all the time. They are both Jehovah Witnesses in their late 30's. She tried to leave him but he told her he would kidnap their child and leave town with him if she left him. If anything ever happened to her I will go to the police and tell them all about him and his behavior. I know if anything ever happened to her, it would be because of him.

• tryingtounderstandjws
    tryingtounderstandjws

What do you expect in a good old boys club? Do you think they are going to police themselves? From what I've seen and heard, they just help each other cover up their crimes.

• fjtoth
  • fjtoth
    fjtoth

Source: http://www.pe.com/localnews/rivcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_E_jarka02.49205d9.html

The Press-Enterprise
    Riverside, California
    September 1, 2008

Murrieta man charged in wife's slaying wasn't making mortgage payments when he reportedly bought $1 million in life insurance on her, records show

By TAMMY J. McCOY

A Murrieta man charged with murder for financial gain was not making mortgage payments at the time authorities say he purchased $1 million in life insurance on his wife, who died a few weeks later, county records show.

Kelle Lee Jarka could face the death penalty or life in prison if convicted of the April slaying of Isabelle Jarka, his 40- year-old wife and the mother of two.

County records show Kelle Jarka was notified between February and June that his Tamarisk Street house was going into foreclosure and he owed the state nearly $30,000 in taxes and fees.

In early April, he bought life insurance policies worth more than $1 million on his wife, Isabelle, according to Murrieta police. She was bludgeoned to death a few weeks later, on April 28, in the master bedroom with her infant son nearby, police say.

Jarka's attorney, Mark Johnson, said money problems were nothing new for the Jarkas, and it certainly was not the reason for Isabelle Jarka's demise.

"They had been living on the edge financially for years," Johnson said. "I just don't think this was a murder for financial gain."

The Jarkas lived beyond their means, Johnson said. The couple had an expensive boat, a nice house and many creature comforts.

They also had each other, he said.

"They seemed to have a loving relationship," Johnson said.

The defense attorney noted that he has taken a personal interest in this case because of the people involved.

"Both of them were good people," he said.

Prosecutor Burke Strunsky declined to comment.

Public records show that bill collectors and notices about Kelle Jarka's debts were coming to the Murrieta home in the weeks and months before Isabelle Jarka's death. $29,000 Owed to State Kelle Jarka owed the state $29,141 in incomes taxes and fees from 2005, according to a Feb. 29 notice of a state tax lien filed with the Riverside County recorder's office.

The mortgage went unpaid in March, April and May, according to county records.

Kelle Jarka was notified that foreclosure proceedings were under way and he was behind on his payments by $24,779, according to county records filed in June. The house was in his name alone, the records show.

In November, a credit card company sued Kelle Jarka for failing to pay more than $11,000, according to court records. The company wanted the courts to enforce an arbitrator's decision ordering Kelle Jarka to pay $10,500, the records show.

Riverside County District Attorney Rod Pacheco has not announced whether his office will pursue the death penalty.

It is unclear whether Isabelle Jarka knew about her husband's debts or the status of the family's finances.

"We as a family were not aware, nor did we pry in their financial lives, therefore, understandably we had no knowledge of many things," Isabelle's sister, Maritza Trelak, said via e-mail.

She declined to comment further because of concerns about the ongoing criminal case. Relatives Didn't Know In a prior interview, Isabelle Jarka's brother-in-law, Paul McGraw, said the family did not have any reason to think the Jarkas had financial problems because the couple appeared to being doing well.

They do not believe Isabelle knew the extent of her husband's financial problems either, McGraw has said.

Isabelle Jarka was hit in the head at least 11 times with an object that has not been found, according to Murrieta police. Her infant son was nearby when she died.

Kelle Jarka called police about 8:45 a.m. on April 28 and initially reported that someone had broken into his house. Police believe he made it look like the home was burglarized before calling police.

Most Recent Comments: 7

Dee37 wrote:

Stupid is as stupid does! As the saying goes. Strange that no one noticed. His attorney doesn't think that money was the motive?? Also, how does a married man buy house in his name only? Hard to believe that the Mrs. just signed away her rights. Listen up ladies, no matter how much he says he loves you, never, ever, leave all the financial stuff to your husband. Know your rights.

PonyExpressrider wrote:

Most criminals are known to be idiots. This guy is proof.

rachealg wrote:

It always surprises me how stupid criminals can be. I mean really ... buying a million dollar life insurance policy weeks before your wife is supposedly murdered? Did he think no one would notice or question?

barbiemacs wrote:

Sad thing is ... nothing is what it seems ... everyone thinks their self worth is measured by their homes, toys, etc. I'm sure his wife would have rather lived in a modest home with no toys and happy with her husband and child, and been alive. I drive thru these nice neighborhoods and shake my head, and return to my two bedroom "haven" and smile. =)

Justice wrote:

Looks like love of money and the praise of others meant more to him them his wife. Truly heartbreaking! I sure hope her family gets the justice they deserve.

Doctor Duke wrote:

Why did Brother Jarka accumulate so many material things? Didn't he know that Armageddon is coming "soon?"

Why 1914 wrote:

This begs the question of just what was going on in Murrietta, buying life insurance while not paying for the mortgage? Come on, now we are supposed to believe that it was all innocent. Oh sure. As if nothing else makes things look bad.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Radical Libertarian/Vegetarian blames Economist Greenspan for JW greed:

W.C. Varones Blog
    September 2, 2008

Greenspan's Body Count: Inland Empire

Today's episode of Greenspan's Body Count comes from the Inland Empire, a.k.a. the Armpit of California, a region of heinous sprawl built in the desert east of Los Angeles so that people could spend hours commuting to their jobs.

Kelle Lee Jarka was lured into a mortgage he couldn't afford by the promise of skyrocketing home prices. When the bubble popped, so did his wife's head:

County records show Kelle Jarka was notified between February and June that his Tamarisk Street house was going into foreclosure and he owed the state nearly $30,000 in taxes and fees.

In early April, he bought life insurance policies worth more than $1 million on his wife, Isabelle, according to Murrieta police. She was bludgeoned to death a few weeks later, on April 28, in the master bedroom with her infant son nearby, police say.

Jarka's attorney, Mark Johnson, said money problems were nothing new for the Jarkas, and it certainly was not the reason for Isabelle Jarka's demise.

"They had been living on the edge financially for years," Johnson said. "I just don't think this was a murder for financial gain."

The Jarkas lived beyond their means, Johnson said. The couple had an expensive boat, a nice house and many creature comforts.

Living beyond their means? Whoever would have encouraged that?

Who could it be? I just don't know. Could it be... GREENSPAN?

Greenspan's Body Count now stands at forty-four. . . .

Source: http://wcvarones.blogspot.com/2008/09/greenspans-body-count-inland-empire.html

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

Whoever wrote the article above is pretty damn crass.

--- Not Feeling It

• Mary
    Mary

Gee, maybe Brother Jarka racked up his credit cards because he thought Armageddon would be here by now. What a jackass.

Thanks for keeping us posted on this Frank.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

The Californian
    Escondido, California
    September 11, 2008

MURRIETA: DA opts not to seek death penalty in murder case
    Instead, prosecutors will seek life sentence for Kelle Jarka, who allegedly killed his wife

By CATHY REDFERN - Staff Writer |

Riverside County prosecutors announced Thursday that they will not seek the death penalty in the murder case against Kelle Lee Jarka, a 40-year-old Murrieta man accused of killing his wife after buying life insurance to reap about $1 million from her death.

Spokesman Michael Jeandron declined to say why Riverside County District Attorney Rod Pacheco made that decision, but said a careful review of the case was conducted, which included discussions with the victim's family, defense attorneys and prosecutors.

Seeking the death penalty was an option because prosecutors have filed a "special circumstance" charge alleging the murder was committed for financial gain.

Instead, however, Pacheco's office will seek a sentence of life without possibility of parole, Jeandron said.

Jarka has pleaded not guilty to the murder charge and denied that he killed her for financial gain. He remains jailed without the possibility of bail.

On April 28, Isabelle Jarka, 40, was found beaten to death in the master bedroom of the couple's eastern Murrieta home, police said.

Authorities say an autopsy later found that she had been hit at least 11 times on the head with a blunt object.

Police say Kelle Jarka called 911 about 8:45 a.m. on the day of the murder to report that he had returned home from the store to find that the house had been broken into and ransacked and that his wife was dead. Investigators, however, believe that account was a lie designed to cover up the fact that he committed the murder.

Jarka told officers that he had been out getting baby formula for the couple's infant, but police said there was plenty of formula at the home.

The couple also have an older child, but the children were not home that morning, police said.

Prosecutors allege Jarka had recently taken out life insurance policies on his wife totaling about $1 million, listing himself as the beneficiary. They have also said they believe the couple were having domestic difficulties.

The case is scheduled to return to court later this month so that a judge can determine whether there is enough evidence to order Jarka to trial.

Contact staff writer Cathy Redfern at (951) 676-4315, Ext. 2621, or e-mail [email protected].

6 Comments:

Sad story wrote on Sep 12, 2008 8:27 AM:
    If proven guilty he deserves to sit in prison for the rest of his life and think about what he did! Much harsher sentence in my opinion.

Oh So Annoyed wrote on Sep 12, 2008 9:04 AM:
    This moron [allegedly] makes an elaborate plan to kill his wife and now we, as taxpayers, are going to have to support him for the rest of his life? Is this for real? Three hots and a cot, free medical care and the opportunity to rehabilitate and educate himself....until the day he dies. Doesn't seem fair to his wife's family. Doesn't seem fair to us. If you ask me, we should beat him over the head with a hammer and see how he likes it. Think of the money we would save!

To Oh So Annoyed wrote on Sep 12, 2008 10:11 AM:
    Actually, I agree with you, however, the death sentence still means he sits in prison with numerous appeals until he dies of old age. That will cost the taxpayers more. Therefore, life without the possibility of parole is better. Besides the general population might just do what you asked. Now the kicker is to make sure the D.A,'s office says there is enough evidence to bring him to trial and then a jury smart enough to convict him. This man does not deserve any mercy. He has left two children withouth a mother and now without a father.

Wow wrote on Sep 12, 2008 2:04 PM:
    Maybe the DA doesn't have enough evidence to convict him and that is why he reduced to life in prison. Maybe people should stop judging this man until after the facts are brought out in court!

WTF wrote on Sep 12, 2008 5:20 PM:Sad story, you're kidding, right? Why not go for death, he'll sit there as long well and then have his sentence turned over by some Rose Bird freak, and it'll be the same thing. I'm getting tired of this! ...

Oops I stand corrected wrote on Sep 12, 2008 7:04 PM:
    The D.A. is seeking the life sentence. It is the judge who will determine if there is enough evidence to proceed with a trial. Reading the initial story when it happened one did not need to be a rocket scientist to figure out who did the deed.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

The Press-Enterprise
    Riverside, California
    September 11, 2008 Death penalty not sought in Murrieta slaying By TAMMY J. McCOY

Riverside County District Attorney Rod Pacheco decided against seeking the death penalty in the case of a Murrieta man charged with murder for financial gain in connection with his wife's April slaying, officials announced Thursday.

Kelle Lee Jarka , 40, faces life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted of murder for monetary benefit after the bludgeoning death of his wife, Isabelle, in their Murrieta home.

On April 28, with their infant son nearby, Isabelle Jarka was repeatedly beaten on the head with a blunt object in the couple's bedroom, according to police and court records. Kelle Jarka had taken out $1 million in life insurance on his 40-year-old wife weeks before her death and the family home was in foreclosure, authorities and public records state.

All of the facts of the Jarka case were taken into consideration before a decision was reached, said Michael Jeandron, a spokesman for the district attorney's office. Pacheco was not available for comment.

Since Pacheco's term began in 2007, the office has pursued the death penalty in 10 of 11 cases where a decision was announced, according to a search of published reports and the district attorney's web site.

Jeandron said the figures are not accurate, adding that not every decision is made public.

"We have many cases where we have chosen life without the possibility of parole," he said.

He could not provide specific information. Reactions to the decision varied in Isabelle Jarka's family, with her parents favoring the death penalty.

"If you take a human life not for reasons of self-defense, yours should be taken," her parents Elias and Tina Canchola said in an e-mailed statement. "No words can possibly describe the pain, suffering and heartache experienced at the loss of your child."

Isabelle's sister, Laura McGraw, was satisfied with Pacheco's decision.

"I feel that life in prison without possibility of parole is duly deserved," McGraw said in an e-mailed statement.

Kelle Jarka's defense lawyers did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit