WHAT MADE YOU LEAVE? Doctrine or people?

by chuckyy 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What made me leave? The lies...er doctrine of course.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

A vicar who helped me fix my bicycle chain so I could go door to door and I thought I am just about to tell everyone on that side of the street how bad churches are. That and just about one hundred other reasons.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I am still in but fading. What drove me away is a bit of both. I am sick of their waffling back and forth on nonsesnsical crap that they invented themselves, and I am tired of the hypocrisy that has the washtowel society by the short and curlies......

• Layla33
    Layla33

The hypocrisy of the people caused me to look at the doctrine, the repeated changing of beliefs over the years made me look at the rationale, and after such time, I was done.

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

First time in my twenties it was many bone dry years of total spiritual and emotional desolation; lived some of the happiest years after that.

After a couple of years I felt I had to return because it was supposed to be the truth.

Second time around I had slowly grown to extremely dislike the whole system and hierarchy but felt I should now stay because it was supposed to be the truth and had already left once.

If only it were not the truth...

then, one day one of my best JW friends pointed out to me a brief essay on 607 which I read and I can still remember the sudden and overwhelming joyous realization within just a matter of seconds that I now was free to go... which I did without hesitation cold turkey. Have found unexpected and miraculous rewards in spiritual fulfiment and in my work that have more then ever restored my faith in whatever is out there.

After many years I have finally learnt to ultimately trust only the humble inner voice that for all those year was in vain trying to tell me something unabatedly despite the fact I distrusted its admonitions for so long. Finding that truth was my award.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Blood transfusion Policy made me leave. After I left, the JW's & the WTS heads reinforced how evil they could be by their behavior and the shunning practice.

• ImFreeatlast
    ImFreeatlast

For me it was people, mainly my family. I was brought up in a family of elders, pioneers and bethelites, I saw so much hypocrisy and 'we are better than everyone else' thinking that I couldnt stomach it. Then i started looking at the doctrine

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

neither, it was legalistic policy sold as religion.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I'm with layla on this. If most really tried to do the WT thing I probably would have never been jousted into "thinking" about doctrine. Once I was launched I was POd.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Dont know if it is really possible to separate the docrine from the people.

I would say compaired per capita, JWs are just as good or bad as your neighbors. Doctrine and policy from the WTS causes a lot of the people oriented problems in the org.

At the same time, people make the doctrine and policy. People enforce the doctrine and policy. People put up with the doctrine and policy.

Yes? Doctrine and the people are inseparable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit