WHAT MADE YOU LEAVE? Doctrine or people?

by chuckyy 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

This really brings back some bad memories. At first it was the people. (abuse from my ex wife) Hate the gossip! Then after a year I was hurt by the UN scandal and the Tacoma parking lot scandal, I was raised as a JW all my life, they taught me to have a good conscience, and a lover of truth and righteousness. Due to my conscience I got away from the unclean thing!!!!!!!!

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Going to Gilead I saw the how the JW doctrine was full of gaping holes "holey, holey holey" are the JWs....

I also saw how people withdrew from me socially as they suspected that I was bad association.

Doctrine was the main issue, and still is, but now the gossiping, backbiting, and lack of love for those in need within the cong makes more sense if it really is not God's congregation.

A@G

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I'm a very evidenced-based person...so doctrine, doctrine, doctrine. People are pretty much the same in all organizations, religious and otherwise.

• betteroffdead
    betteroffdead

the people following the doctrine only when it suited them. I'm a very black and white person and that is something I cannot stand, religion or otherwise. even if it were the truth I couldn't be a part of it knowing the way those people are. that attitude doesn't net me the most friends in life but makes the ones I have genuine which is what matters to me.

• mosol
    mosol

The focus was changing from worshiping Jehovah to worshipping the elders. I just couldn't kiss their butts well enough for their satisfaction so I finally gave up. I went from pioneering to nothing without even a goodbye. I'm sure that got some great gossip going in service. They do love a juicy story to melt away the boring hours in service don't they? Never told them why, just kept them guessing. I know how it would have been I read franz book and I know what would have happened. Why give them the pleasure of dfing me.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

doctine... If they could have left the basics to the "Truth" book I'd probably still be digging things. The 607 end times generation stuff would be a deal breaker. Of course, thats the kind of crap you bring to the table to get converts.

People... a few years of dealing with JW's on an adult level tossed everything I learned in "Truth" chapter 5 right out the window.

Hill

• eric2
    eric2

I was just reading this thread. I've been studying with Jehova's witnesses and attending kindom hall meetings for nearly 3 years now. I'm not baptized nor am I an unbaptized publisher. I am serious about becoming a Christian and with so many religions and different denominations within the Christian religion I am trying to be very thorough and discover the truth, and who exactly has it.

Not sure exactly what you all on this site are all about, a few here sound like "apostates" that have left religion altogether because they just can't cut it. However, there are some intelligent posts here and I'm very curious about the so-called "inaccuracies" or what one poster referred to as the made up interpretations of the New World Translation, and other slams agains the JW's.

I have been studying everything the JW's are telling me, comparing with other Christian denominations beliefs, and worldly views on various topics and at this point in my life i truly believe that the JW's DO IN FACT HAVE THE TRUTH. I've read several books written by non-JW's that indicate that the New World Translation IS the most accurate translation produced, with the exception of the references to Jehova in the New Testament. How can some of the posters here say the NWT is full of made up stuff by the JW's and an inaccurate translation, when scholars have declared the most literal and accurate translation, despite the references to the name Jehova in the new testament?

Right now i'm in the mode of trying to disprove things the JW's have told me or any of their beliefs.....I can't seem to do that, and would be curious as to specifics that you all may have.

I also can't find too many "contradictions' that are not easily explainable by someone that can think on a topic for more than 5 minutes. Any specifics there that anyone can provide?

I would agree with alot of posters here, that the organization as a whole, and most of the people in it are pretty boring, as are some of the mind-numbingly simple study topics on Sunday....however, I'm not there for a social experience and I don't think things need to be "exciting" in a religious setting....I'm there to ensure that I am saved.

If you are no longer a JW, what religion/denomination did you find that is better or that you think has the truth? Or are you now an atheist?

• LunaFing
    LunaFing

It was people's actions that got the ball rolling for me. It didn't feel right either. I am extremely motivated by my feelings, and I just didn't feel it... MMO You took the words right out of my mouth!

• yknot
    yknot

Hi mosol, LunaFing and eric2 WELCOME to JWD !!!

Looking forward to reading your future postings !!!

• yknot
    yknot

Well I was programmed to deal with rejection, persecution, and hatred........

.....................since no one is spirit-inspired then there can't really be a spirit-directed organization unless ...........................

You replace the notion of spirit-directed = holy spirit ............

with spirit-directed = m-w (spirit) 5 a : the activating or essential principle influencing a person spirit of helpfulness>

...................but wouldn't that nullify the denial of any individual being spirit-inspired.........................

I think both Ray and later Don expressed it best.......

I AM NO LONGER A CAPTIVE OF A CONCEPT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit