When You Were a JWD Newbie - Were You Shown a Warm Welcome ?

by flipper 64 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

One thing we all have in common - everybody who started posting on JWD , were all " new " posters in the beginning on this board. So take yourself back in time for a minute - how were you received here ? Did people welcome you warmly ? Did they make you feel like what you had to say is important ? Did you feel accepted ? Or did you feel like you had to " prove " you even existed ?

My wife and I when first getting on the board felt very accepted in March of 2007 and really felt a positive energy on the board for helping people deal with exiting the Jehovah's Witnesses. Personally my wife had to twist my arm the first few months we were on here as I was so " done " for several years with anything involving " JW's " . But once I got on , I really felt many kindred caring souls here , and it appealed to me. Yes, it is a discussion board, but also is a support board for many. As Gopher mentioned in another thread , we all come here for our own purposes and motives. Each person's story is different.

I still feel for the most part the majority of people here are really caring, considerate people . Perhaps there are a few who aren't nice, as they have their own agenda's, or maybe they are going through stresses in life that we don't understand - and this is their only place to let loose- who knows ? But, that being said remember how it was when we each started here. We probably felt awkward , posting among strangers we never had met. All across the United States, all across the world !

So my view is if we remember what it was like for us starting out - then it helps us to empathize with what other new posters go through, and perhaps it helps us to restrain saying things which could offend them, or make them scared, want to set their hair on fire, and run back to the witness organization ! That's all I'm trying to say. So , it would be interesting to hear- How were you received here when you first joined ? Were you welcomed with kindness ? Did you feel accepted ? Or made to feel like you counted ? Something we didn't feel from the JW organization ! So as always, I look forward to your takes, opinions, experiences . Peace out to all my fellow JWDers ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes I was welcomed here, and in the process got reacquainted with a couple old friends I knew back in the 80's.

Because of that warm welcome, I've tried to carry on that tradition.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Yes, I was. Even though I asked about a subject that had already been beat to death here: the generation new light. I didn't know at the time that any info about the Society hit here first, congregations last!

momz

edited to add: I think Gopher was the first person to post an answer!

• Casper
    Casper

"VERY" much so...!!

Of course it was back in 2001, and a whole different group of people, for the most part. Gopher was here, and was one of the first to welcome me...

They were all very welcoming and helpful. I have stayed and read, and read.... ever since. I stopped posting for along time, life and other issues took priority, but I would still read and catch up when time allowed.

More recently, in late 2007 :

I "Re-Introduced" myself, as an "Old Newbie", and I must say the welcome was just as warm and inviting... I'm still here, I post here and there now, adding my 2 cents... learning from others.

I stay out of the controversial threads, and lean more towards, welcoming, congrats, compassion and answering questions... I'm still just learning to express myself. Hopefully someday, I will jump in and add something meaningful.........LoL...

Hope all is well for you Mr. Flipper...

Cas

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    So take yourself back in time for a minute - how were you received here ? Did people welcome you warmly ? Did they make you feel like what you had to say is important ? Did you feel accepted ?

We have the easy ability to simply look back at our first posts and the threads they were on.
    I was a bit bold to act as if I had always been commenting, but Moshe acknowledged my
    first post and welcomed me. I didn't post much for awhile, but when I did, I had been reading
    awhile and I never got shot down.

After less than 2 months, I was only up to post #8. Exwitless started her very first post with
    a thread of her own, "HELLO, I'M NEW HERE." I posted my situation and was received very
    well. Here was Exwitless' response:

Hello, OnTheWayOut! Wow! I'm impressed at the courage you've shown stepping down and "laying low". That can't be easy. Sounds like difting away is going to take awhile for you. Don't give up on your wife. You just never know what it might take to break down the wall she has up around her.

Soon, I just fit in.

You made me think, Flipper. Just before reading your thread, I had just gone back to a
    newbie who asked some questions and posted a kindler, gentler response than my original
    one. Malkiel asked "What will you do when the Great Tribulation begins?" I wasn't wrong to
    give him a jab at his way of stating things. He took it in stride, but I think I was a bit harsh.

It's funny that I corrected that situation without having read your thread yet. I keep reminding
    myself that I am a bitter exJW, so I have to be cautious with newbie threads. Thanks for
    the trip down memory lane.

• searchingforfriends
    searchingforfriends

My BF (IMM) and I have both had very good experiences when posting on this site and have gotten GREAT feedback. (well except for a few that told him that he'd be better off dumping his ex-dub GF for a non-exdub lol)

Seriously though, I am really glad this site is here, and I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

• stillajwexelder
  • changeling
    changeling

Actually, I jumped in and hijacked one one Seeker4's threads and got ignored (back when I was becca1). No one's fault, I just did not know forum protocol. LOL

changeling :)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

No. And someone was complaining about newbies and how they can't be trusted and I said something because I was new to the board and felt ignored. It was then, maybe it had been a month since my sign up, someone posted a welcome thread for me. These days I cannot keep up with all the newbies. I am always glad to see new ones arrive.

• yknot
    yknot

Yes very much so...

I try to extend back the kindness.

Thank You all for your support, encouragement, and experiences! Emoticon - Kiss

Agape
    Ynot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit