Dress & Grooming for visiting Bethel. scans inside!!!!!11 LOL

by karvel 171 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Switch
    Switch

Wow. I'm glad I didn't miss this thread.

Doofdaddy nailed it for me:

Being a jw is like being in a one act play over and over.

You put on a costume, put on a face, put on an attitude, then you go home to a semblance of normality.

Like actors in a play that goes for years,after a while the lines come out without thought. The mind separates. The gb cannot really control people any more than a director of a play.

That's exactly how I felt the past couple years without realizing why. I thought I was lacking in some way and I can now understand why I've seen friends plunge into pioneering. It gets so repetitive that you don't even think about what you're doing and then you feel compelled to DO MORE cuz you're not happy. It's not just NY that has all the rules. About 10 or 12 years ago, hubby and I were touring around and decided to find the Bethel in Ireland. It's on a coastal road south of Dublin so we eventually found it. We stopped to see if we could have a tour and they were welcoming but noticed our casual dress and said maybe we should leave the tour for the next day when we could dress appropriately. So we came back the next day. The Irish Bethel has 10 to 12 Bethelites. They mainly only handle distribution of literature and organizing the assemblies. The printing is all done in the UK. We were the only couple there having a tour so I'm not sure who could have potentially noticed our casual dress the day before. The Irish are generally laid-back people but we still had to follow the rules. It seems pretty silly now. I can't believe they'd tell you what to wear in NYC after your visit to Bethel. Oh wait, yes I can, because they always want the brothers and sisters to stay in their stuffy, stuck to you with dried sweat, wrinkled convention clothes (with badges still showing) to dinner after the sessions. Same good advice still applies.

• undercover
    undercover
    Where did The Watchtower get this conservative banker's "Business Attire" fixation from?

I know I've told this story before but it fits with this thread...

When I was getting sheparding calls after becoming more and more inactive, the dress and grooming "codes" came up in conversation wiht the elder. I mentioned that there was no Bible principle about beards or the strictness of some of the JW dress codes (I remember handing him my Bible and asking him to show me where beards were banned for Christian men).

The elder didn't need a Bible to defend the position. He responded that a lot of large corporations have dress codes for their employees because they represent the company. He mentioned a company owned by Ross Perot that banned facial hair for men. He went on to say that since we represented the Organization, we should dress in a way that befits the message of the Organization.

That's when I really realized that we weren't witnesses for God, but sales people for a publishing company.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Ummm... I haven't read through all of this - so it may have been covered already.

The lady - the first one - wearing those 4-inch stiletto heels? Shouldn't there be 'rules' that specify the type of heels allowed? These certainly!!! cannot be 'proper'!!! I mean... they're over 2-inches... and are stilettos!!!!! OMG!!!!

Perhaps they should also specify the types of 'proper' hose... thigh-highs - garters... no pantyhose - that looks too much like pants - even has 'pant' in the name.

*tongue firmly planted in cheek*

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Later in the brochure it explains that all visitor must have a pole up their ass, since poles will not be provided, and they are in short supply at Bethel.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Also the Sisters dresses on the front look ridiculously long...they must be specially made as no fashion designer would make such strange looking skirts.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Just like others have said, this is just more CONTROL, CONTROL, CONTROL!

When I look at the picture of the group sitting in the room with the piano, I can't help but notice that they look like pre-programmed ROBOTS - nobody's legs are crossed, everyone is sitting just so, most of their hands are neatly held in their laps - I mean, these people are RIGID just like the rules they are trying to uphold

These pictures absolutely scream CULT and I bet the few thinking drones at the Hall will see this brochure for what it is and get the hell out of Dodge! Here's hoping. Glad I no longer have to sit through these mind numbing parts, where everything you are to think, say, do, eat, wear, discuss, sing, etc. is programmed down to the minutest detail. Watchtower SLAVEHOLDERY really sums it up, as WT Wizard calls it!

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

I have to pass this damn thing everytime I go to a meeting.

It is so insulting, ridiculous, depressing and frightening that they would even try to pass this off with a straight face.

I have to resist the urge to snatch it off the bulletin board and tear it to pieces.

Mark my words, soon the GB will "suggest" that JWs start dressing in "proper attire" in their day to day lives, i.e., meeting clothes 7 days a week to further "stand out from the crowd and give a witness for Jehovah." There will be elders dropping by unexpectedly, checking that the family is wearing proper attire when eating dinner. Going to the grocery store in jeans and being spotted by another JW will entail a JC meeting. You may be DF'd for being unrepentant and continuing to wear jeans and beat up sneakers when you mow your lawn.

Tell me that couldn't happen!

• White Dove
    White Dove

I used to want to tour Bethel in the worst way. I don't want to anymore, but if I did, I would wear a biz suit. I would not wear a dress. I swore dresses off when I quit the khall.

• undercover
    undercover

I toured BethHell way back when...

...and I wore jeans and a button up shirt with cowboy boots. I got a few dirty looks but nobody pulled me aside and counseled me on it. And when we went out in the "neighborhood" with some of the inmates, er, Bethelites, we dressed down to jeans, t-shirts and sneakers. The elder in the group wore a suit, his wife wore a Society sanctioned dress but I was on vacation, I was dressing comfortable, dammit.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Umm...on second thought, I change my position. If a dress is what they want me to dress in when (never) I visit, then a dress it will be! I will wear my ritual attire minus the jewelry. Very witchy, but no cleavage or slits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit