Bethel layoffs in 2008 - 300+ and counting

by sir82 139 Replies latest jw friends

We see it all the time, wifes stay with abusive husbands, the abused child clings to the abusive parent, even a whiped dog returns to his abusive master. They all do this to try and please the abuser, and have their life gain some peace that they desperatly need. The WT knows this, that is why they want the folks that are young, inexperienced, and naive. Then they can abuse them, gain their fear based loyalty, and them throw them back out to the congragations with nothing. Then, since the workers have no marketable skills, and even fewer social skills, their best bet, in the drones mind is to stay in the org. where they at least feel some since of security.

Those older ones that they are throwing out now, they too have "nowhere else to go". No money, no retirement, and no skills, or if they do have skills the modern workforce will not want them due to their age. They to are trapped, some might leave, seeing the unloving org. for what it is, but most will stay, and the WT knows that. It is a numbers game they can live with.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

Proplog 2 wrote:

Only a hateful person would use such ordinary behavior to slam JW's. Kind of like Judas worrying about the money box.

Ordinary behavior ? By whose standards ? Throwing people out on their ear after years of faithful service might be "ordinary" to selfish greedy corporations (and we know the Society says such "merchants" are due for destruction) but to a "godly organization" that constantly counsels that all "followers of Jehovah" must have "elevated" standards "not like those of the world", their attitude is profoundly hypocritical.Only someone with a similar attitude (read defect) would support such despicable actions.

And while we're on the Judas analogy....apparently you feel the actions of the Society are comparable to having perfumed oil poured over the head of the Christ ? More like a den of thieves.Unbelievable.....

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I remember hearing about the first huge wave of layoffs (in, what was it, 2005?) I was still pretty much a believer at that time but this news really bothered me. There was a bethel heavy at the last talk of the DC boasting about what great things the WTS had in store, all the "expanding" that was going on. And how wonderful it was that they were sending home one third of the Bethel staff. They are just like the "world", I thought. Except when a "worldly" corporation has a massive layoff, it is a tragedy, corporate greed, failing economy, sign of the times, satan's wicked system. No, 1000 people lose, not just their jobs, but their homes; its Jehovah's blessing.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

if the bottom line is what matters the most, it makes perfect sense. If people matter, it is incredibly cruel and greedy to use the best years of their lives and then toss them out.

• sir82
    sir82
    So I never had to fill out any forms. If there were legally binding promises those should be pursued. But, if a person fell for some wild claim by a circuit overseer etc. then that's their own fault.

Dude, were you ever a JW?

Nobody ever puts anything in writing. As a poster here once said, they have "cunning to burn".

Obviously there is no "document promising a lifetime of care".

But JWs are indoctrinated from the get-go that the organization speaks for God himself. If Jehovah told you he would provide all the care you needed for the rest of your life, would you ask him to sign a document just to be sure? Of course not - that's GOD making the promise!

Of course, to a sane, rational person with experience in the real world, one who had never been a JW nor a member of any other high-control group, such claims by a CO or Bethel rep would appear "wild". But to most JWs, if a CO or higher said it, then by God, that's as good as Jehovah himself pressing a signet ring into a wax seal.

And the ones who are the most zealous to do something like plan on a life spent at Bethel are just the ones who buy into the hype. And the WTS knows that.

No one is saying that the WTS has legally wronged these folks.

What we are saying is that morally & ethically they have abused their trust for their own benefit. A pretty crappy course of action for "the one true religion on earth", I would say.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Propolg2..How can you be on the board for as long as you have and still know nothing?..LOL!!.....The WBT$ and Jehovah`s Witness`s are not one and the same.....The WBT$ runs owns and operates the Jehovah`s Witness`s..Jehovah`s Witness`s do as their told by the WBT$..The WBT$ does not do as their told by Jehovah`s Witness`s.......No one is blameing Jehovah`s Witness`s,for tossing Jehovah`s Witness`s out of Bethel..JW`s have a say in nothing!..They do as they`re told by the WBT$............The WBT$,is tossing JW`s out of Bethel..The WBT$ is screwing long time JW workers!!...............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Open mind
    Open mind

Perhaps last Sunday's WT study could help everyone keep the "right attitude".

The Watchtower, December 15, 2008, pages 16-20

"STAND FIRM AND SEE THE SALVATION OF JEHOVAH"

Paragraph 16.
    "Today, we may not clearly see why some organizational matters are handled in a certain way, but we have every reason to trust in Jehovah's guidance through his faithful channel of communication."

No whining allowed! Even if you're a career Bethelite starving to death in your new assignment in "the field".

C'mon folks! Get in "Battle Formation" like the Israelites!

OM

• proplog2
    proplog2

People start over again all the time. It probably keeps the mind agile and delays senility.

I too have suffered from failed expectations. But, it has taught me lessons I wouldn't have learned otherwise. It has toughened me. It has broadened my understanding of the human condition.

What's the point. Some of you are quite reasonable. Others are clearly irrational. So much on this board is a matter of "spin".

I will respond to reasonable argument. But if you want to "spin" it one way I'll simply "spin" it another way. It's mostly a matter of attitude. And your attitude is a personal choice.

Those who may be wavering need to see the disproportionate reactions. That way the "lurkers" can see the venom in your souls.

Let me also say that I am not on a crusade. I don't feel the need of rescuing any "lurkers". They are responsible for themselves, too. This has been somewhat of an experiment. It proves to me that most of you are desperate for a moving target.

There may be some here who see the waste of the endless "bitch" threads but you apparently don't have courage to say anything and instead prefer to click to something else.

So, HAPPY COMPLAINING!!!! ok?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan
    Throwing people out on their ear after years of faithful service might be "ordinary" to selfish greedy corporations

I would like to point out that even selfish, greedy corporations are required by law to pay into benefit plans, such as employment insurance and pension plans (I'm speaking here from a Canadian perspective) that will provide benefits in the form of income continuity and pensions after a layoff has occurred. As well, corporations are required to provide at least a minimum of severence when laying a person off.

The Society falls well below the level of even the worst corporation. In addition, these people are layed off, in many cases, with no usable skills or references. And, they have been sold a fake dream which has prevented them from getting an education.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Bethel is under no obligation to keep you there if they don't have work for you or if you represent a possible insurance liability. Maybe some kind of disaster is going to hit New York City in the near future. Only a hateful person would use such ordinary behavior to slam JW's. Kind of like Judas worrying about the money box.

You write really good satire :)

Keep it coming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit