Bethel layoffs in 2008 - 300+ and counting

by sir82 139 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

From the mouth of one of the special pioneers assigned tour congregation:

At least 300 have been terminated from the US Bethel branch in the first month of 2008, and she expects the number to increase. Paraphrasing other comments:

-- The first round of layoffs 2 years ago were primarily "the older ones and the ones in poor health. But the ones being let go now are in good health, some have highly specialized skills, but they are being let go anyway." She can't figure out why they are letting this latest batch (herself & her husband included) go.

-- Her understanding is that Bethel is trying to maintain a "younger" work force. The majority (though not all) of the 2008 layoffs have been persons in their 40's & 50's. So, she says, we should still encourage young ones to go to Bethel, since the Society is still accepting applications from young ones.

I have my own comments to make, but I'll wait to see if someone phrases it better (as they probably will).

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Throwing the older ones out on their duff after decades of service.

Terrible.

As for the other layoffs, maybe they are outsourcing? Is there growth in other branches? It may be a net wash or even a gain.

Burn

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

all makes total sense to me - financial sense that is.

No diehard JW can look me in the eye and say it is morally correct to lay somebody off after decades there with no 401 K etc.

• uninformed
    uninformed

there is no difference betwee the WT publishing house and any other corporation in America.

The only thing that makes any difference is the bottom line.

I just wish those in Bethel, instead of being generally arrogant and haughty would examine closely what I know they must have been hearing for the past years and finally act like mature Christians.

Brant

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

In time I can see them accepting you at 19 years old - getting all the young life out of you with hard work and then reassigning you to the field when you reach 40 to be a great help to the congregations. PRAISE JAH -his spirit is obviously on the arrangement.

(callous bastards)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Yet they are still hounding people to stay single so they can go to Beth Hell. (Or that fxxxing Value Destroyer Training School). That is what they want: waste your life at Beth Hell, get used up, then they will throw you away without any decent living expenses. Nor give you a potential for a mate, either.

• Gayle
    Gayle

How was the 'spirit' of that special pioneer, since she didnt understand why she & her husband were 'let go'? She mentioned previously older & ill Bethelites were laid off,,Difficult for me to understand that there's no reason. What is the number of Bethelites getting at now at Brooklyn Bethel? Glad I wasn't a 'career' Bethelite!

• sir82
    sir82
    How was the 'spirit' of that special pioneer

Trying to display a positive spirit, but clearly confused, and more than a bit overwhelmed. Torn away from all their friends after decades of Bethel service, relocated far away from where they lived prior to entering Bethel, and for the first time in decades having to worry about the "normal things" of life (buying your own grocieries, washing your own clothes, cleaning your own toilet, worrying about having enough money, etc.).

I feel quite bad for them, actually - that was a real kick in the stomach. Given their age, they won't have enough time to accumulate any kind of retirement savings, nor accumulate much of a Social Security benefit even if they do find work. They won't be able to "special pioneer" forever - they're pretty much looking at working to earn a living until they die.

• besty
    besty

From my limited experience of redundancy in the corporate world there is a big downside to laying off the under-performers or those that otherwise don't meet the optimal profile (including in this special case aged 50+ in good health, old and infirm, sick etc)

The downside is that the top performers or those that are attractive to other employers get nervous about the layoffs. They start to think two things:

1 - Might I be next

2 - Perhaps the company is in more serious trouble than I know about

These thoughts can prey on their minds and start them down the road to looking at other opportunities, even leaving with no rational reason to do so.

A redundancy program can lead to losing significant quantities of people that you wanted to keep.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

The Craptower Dribble and Spit Society is nothing more than a Book Publishing Corporation.

Like any corporation, they are cutting costs. I have said it in these pages before, but it bears repeating: This is part of a long-term business plan started in the 1990s when the society brought in a brother who was an efficiency expert. At least this is what I was told back then when I was a temp in Walkill.

At the time, I was helping to build a new residence building, which included an entire floor devoted to an infirmary. Do you think the Society wants to continue to spend millions of dollars expanding its hospital/nursing home floors and the subsequent years of care? It used to be (former bethelites correct me if I am in error here) that if you had 15 years at Bethel, and you got sick, they kept you and took care of you. If you had less than 15 years, they sent you back to your home congregation and hoped that they or your family would take care of you.

Now it seems that policy is out the door (along with those precious volunteers). They can't send back the elderly Bethelites..they just have to wait for them to die. Callous? Yes. But that doesn't mean they have to let any more Bethelites get elderly? Bring them at 19, send them out at 35. Encourage the brothers in their late 20s to go to MTS (aka that fxxxing Value Destroyer Training School..which I have to agree..it had the opposite effect on me...it discouraged rather than encouraged me...I stuck it out another 5 years). Encourage the sisters to go to foreign language congregations or other places that need pioneers.

In the meantime, you have these 35-50 year olds thatthey have to lay off. Yes, it means losing skilled workers. But skilled workers do not help the Borg bottom line if they get sick and can't work. You can be sure they dont have AFLAC for those poor saps. They can always get more skilled workers. How? you say, since the GB has all but banned "advanced edcuation"? Simple. You bring in brothers who do have degrees and train the younger ones....or you send the Bethelites to school in limited number and keep it quiet. (I know bethelites that did this). Get a good 10-15 years out of them...then send them packing...Keep repeating this process over and over. Since they are a Religious Order and NOT a Secular Business (I know, I know...work with me here), they are exempt from laws against discrimination toward the older worker. Don't be surprised if the new Bethell apps don't reflect a change in wording ....such as "Bethel is not a lifetime appointment and is based on the needs of the Society at any given time." Hey, many states have "at-will" employment, certainly Bethel can use that as an employment template.

I do think that Bethel will continue to outsource work to foreign lands where the cost of living is cheaper. Just because the labor is free, the upkeep (food, etc) is not..so if the Society moves more functions to Third World countries, the cost of food is cheaper, the cost of everything is cheaper. Shipping books back to the US is no problem, especially since there is likely no declared value for import taxes, etc....oh to be a religion instead of a corporation....LOL

Also, be on the lookout for articles in the Kingdumb Misery and Private Craptower encouraging the congregations to assist such ones returning home after decades of faithful service. (where are my puking smiley guys when I need em?)

Yep....I feel bad for them. I have a friend who has been at Bethel 20 years this year, maybe a bit longer. We went to Pioneer School in 1986, he was accepted to Bethell shortly after. He is in his late 30s. He is (or was last I seen him) a bit overweight. He has family history of health problems. How long before the actuaries at Bethell decide he is at risk for becoming a liability? It seems his 20 years is no longer a protection.

Keep us updated on the layoffs....

Snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit