Bethel layoffs in 2008 - 300+ and counting

by sir82 139 Replies latest jw friends

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I think they are taking advantage of the high dollar value of their realistate in Brooklyn selling offf as much of it as they can.

and moving the operations to cheaper locations , in the process giving some of their faithful slaves the boot

• proplog2
    proplog2

The only possible deception I can think of is the repeated use of "Bethel Family". Although they use this with good intentions some people are bound to think that it REALLY is family. Families are thought of as having obligations to its members. But even families sometimes have to ask members to leave because they can no longer support them. Are discharged members just thrown out into the street? Or are there arrangements that are made for as smooth a transition as possible. I don't know. Perhaps one of you experts on this subject can outline the procedure. Or maybe you don't know either. In which case why don't you call Bethel out of concern and find out how this all works.

• notyetx
    notyetx

It is a shame that there is probably some kind of religious exemption written into the law (or decided through case law) but the over-40 group would normally be protected under the ADEA and the disabled group would be protected under the ADA. I wish someone would file an employment discrimination claim to test the waters.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Proplog2, despite you being merely a grade-A troll, I would still like to point out that there are many deceptions on many different levels regarding those pursuing Bethel service. Those of us who did were encouraged to make Bethel our "life career." Now, how can you make it your life career when you don't have a measure of certainty that you'll not be kicked out when you turn 30? Bethel Personnel leaders encourage the elitest mindset for Bethel applicants to ensure they get the most ambitious people. They constantly refer to the "Bethel Family," "Bethel life," "Bethel career" as a means of retaining hopefuls. For a person who certainly was never a Bethelite, and who was probably never even a JW, you have a lot to say about it all. Your "crusade" or whatever you want to call it just makes you look like an Asberger's Syndrome sufferer.

• besty
    besty
    The only possible deception I can think of is the repeated use of "Bethel Family". Although they use this with good intentions some people are bound to think that it REALLY is family. Families are thought of as having obligations to its members. But even families sometimes have to ask members to leave because they can no longer support them. Are discharged members just thrown out into the street?

I'm sure a smart chap like you could think of more deceptive possibilities than that. Be that as it may that's what you have chosen. From my personal experience the WTS has a pretty fluid interpretation of most things. Family is no exception and the ongoing love, support and fellowship you have as part of your Basic Human Rights Package is in the WTS's totalistic requirement conditional on believeing as they proscribe for you.

My 'family' have shunned and ignored us. So the Bethel Family as a term will be equally conditional on you being a part of it as they define it.

Outta Bethel?...outta the family....

its worse than The Sopranos

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Those who may be wavering need to see the disproportionate reactions. That way the "lurkers" can see the venom in your souls. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>REPLY>>>>>>>>>>>>> LOL! I, for one, trust in the intelligence of any lurkers enough to not be worried about them seeing the "venom" in my soul. BTW, ever read The Confederacy of Dunces?

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway
    People start over again all the time. It probably keeps the mind agile and delays senility.

I too have suffered from failed expectations. But, it has taught me lessons I wouldn't have learned otherwise. It has toughened me. It has broadened my understanding of the human condition.

What's the point. Some of you are quite reasonable. Others are clearly irrational. So much on this board is a matter of "spin".

I will respond to reasonable argument. But if you want to "spin" it one way I'll simply "spin" it another way. It's mostly a matter of attitude. And your attitude is a personal choice.

Those who may be wavering need to see the disproportionate reactions. That way the "lurkers" can see the venom in your souls.

Let me also say that I am not on a crusade. I don't feel the need of rescuing any "lurkers". They are responsible for themselves, too. This has been somewhat of an experiment. It proves to me that most of you are desperate for a moving target.

There may be some here who see the waste of the endless "bitch" threads but you apparently don't have courage to say anything and instead prefer to click to something else.

So, HAPPY COMPLAINING!!!! ok?

There's an obvious callousness to your tone.It would seem that your "failed expectations" have done more than make you tough, it has made you unfeeling and judgmental.While there may be a few here that are "desperate for a moving target", that seems to be the case with you as well.If some have venom in their voice it's because they've been bitten by offspring of vipers.Men who see fit to rationalize even the most unethical of actions.If you want spin, they're the masters.Like the Pharisees of old, the WT declares their possessions (generously made contributions) as "corban" (a gift dedicated to God by which others could benefit) to excuse not helping others.No spin necessary on that one.

You seem to really enjoy these "bitch threads".Could it be because you want the "wavering lurkers" to see what nasty, evil apostates reside here ? That's very helpful of you.What an interesting non-crusade.I guess the tossed out Bethelites should thank the Society for toughening them up so they won't be such whiners when they have no place to go ? Is that "bitchy" enough for ya ? As for the "smooth transition arrangement".....I believe it's called: "There's the front door."

• sf
    sf

I feel quite bad for them, actually - that was a real kick in the stomach. Given their age, they won't have enough time to accumulate any kind of retirement savings, nor accumulate much of a Social Security benefit even if they do find work. They won't be able to "special pioneer" forever - they're pretty much looking at working to earn a living until they die.

What comes to ones mind, perhaps only my own, is that while it appears no government agency is going to shut down this fraudulent organization, all the while becoming fully aware of its lethal and damaging policies (mostly to it's children whose parents are devoted GOVERNED by these said policies), by exhaustive footwork on and offline,they too should be held accountable to all of its ELDERLY, SWINDLED "victims".

Perhaps not.

sKally

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I have just realized:

PROLOG is a composite of different writers from the Borg posing as one person.

They change shifts. They move away and another is assigned a time slot.

He learns nothing. Continues to excuse unethical behavior. Claims when it suits him he knows less than we on the board.

In one post on this thread, he admits what a shitty world the Jdubs are. For what reason?

If I cared enough about comments made by these people who disgust me, I would analyse his language. I bet it could be broken down into J, Deutero-isaiah, E just like the old testament. But forgive me, I shall now do a very Prolog strategy, and jump thread, before I puke all over my nice computer.

HB

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I remember taking my non-jw grandfather with me on a tour of Walkill back in the mid-to-late 80's.

He was very concerned about these young people devoting their lives to the collective for virtually no pay and no contribution to Social Security. What would happen to them when they were ready to retire??

The answer was: We continue to take care of them. Even in very advanced years, we find a place for the elderly to feel useful. (and the guide made sure to cinch the point later in the tour when we met the person who was in charge of sorting hangers in the laundry.) If they are too infirm to contribute even that small amount, we have an infirmary and will still continue to care for our loved family members.

My grandfather was assured that no faithful contributor to the Bethel Family would be tossed out with no means of support.

And now look. It's not true at all.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit