Crackdown on "sisters" volunteering at DCs

by dozy 106 Replies latest jw friends

• dozy
    dozy

The WTS has sent a letter to all Convention overseers expressing their increasing concern at sisters "directing brothers" at district conventions.

With immediate effect (ie for DC 2008), sisters are no longer to be used as volunteers in Parking and Security / Watchman departments. Any sisters volunteering in other departments (eg toilet cleaning) must be subordinate & follow the direction of appointed brothers.

This move will put a huge burden on the DCs in my area - nearly half the volunteers for parking are sisters and there aren't enough volunteers as it is. The sisters that I know are really upset by the news - volunteering at assemblies was one of the very few things they are allowed to do in the truth.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Quite right too . . .

This is great news - it'll just create rifts and hopefully usher people out (as long as the usher isn't a woman)

• dozy
    dozy

Further thoughts - this has been a growing trend at assemblies. A couple of years ago the visiting Bethel rep insisted on his tour that all sisters took off their "tabards" that identified them as volunteers , including the sisters that worked as care-givers with the elderly & disabled. This caused mass confusion with the delegates and a couple of sisters walked off in disgust. He also wanted the sisters in parking to do so , but the head of the department refused , as the sisters had to wear bright yellow reflective tabards for health & safety reasons. The brother was reprimanded and told that Jehovah's law supercedes Caeser's law. The brother dug in & refused the request - unsurprisingly he was quietly removed and replaced after the assembly.

The sisters in parking were also informed that they could only direct traffic if standing beside or behind a brother , but not on their own. They could only stand bolt upright and were unable to point the direction cars were to go unless a driver stopped to ask directions.

Bizarre.....

• VM44
    VM44

The sisters in parking were also informed that they could only direct traffic if standing beside or behind a brother , but not on their own. They could only stand bolt upright and were unable to point the direction cars were to go unless a driver stopped to ask directions.

Er, this is a joke, right?

If not, then what is the Biblical basis for this? Directing traffic is NOT teaching spiritual things, and the sisters are NOT the wifes of the men driving the cars!

The Bible does not say a woman has to be in subjection to a man in secular matters.

These Watchtower "company men" are crazy.

--VM44

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

You're not winding us up are you Dozy?

• yesidid
    yesidid

With immediate effect (ie for DC 2008), sisters are no longer to be used as volunteers in Parking and Security / Watchman departments. Any sisters volunteering in other departments (eg toilet cleaning) must be subordinate & follow the direction of appointed brothers.

Comon folks, this is a joke. Allright Dozy own up!!!!

• dozy
    dozy
    You're not winding us up are you Dozy?

No - absolutely true. The letter confirming that sisters were no longer to be used in parking was read out at the KH last week , so it is now in the public domain.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Ha...if this is true, then this is totally insane.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

On certain occasions, legitimate safety is a factor. Security is one area where physical strength is necessary, and most "brothers" are more likely to have that (remember, they are not allowed to carry a gun, which would even things).

That aside, this is blatant discrimination. Parking attendants, regardless of gender, should be allowed to perform on equal footing. "Sister" volunteers should not have to submit to "brothers" while doing their assignment, except if they are trainees (in which case the purpose would be for the "sister" to learn the job) or if safety and strength are issues. But there is no reason why a "sister" would have to be in submission for a simple cleaning assignment or to distribute littera-trash.

I am hoping that this causes enough of them to take the job and shove it. It doesn't matter who is holding up that sign (as if I would obey it anyway). Hopefully, there aren't enough men to go around, positions go unfilled, and the whole a$$embly degenerates into such a mess that they have to cancel the whole thing (and I am not going to even show up, let alone lift a finger for them). I am also hoping that, when such blatant discrimination against women becomes the norm, that they will all start walking out of the organization.

I wonder if it also takes a guy to handle those extra S-77 forms for delivery to the congregations for the extra disassociation letters I am hoping this generates.

• nelly136
    nelly136

maybe they could wear head covering so no sensibilities would be compromised?

did you say there was printed evidence of the sexual discrimination?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit